Gocycle GS review

Funinhounslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2017
West London
Well I’ve had my Gocycle GS few days now - enough to be able to share my initial impressions

Me - 50 year old bloke - live and work in outer London and have been cycling in London for 25 years (now I feel old!) for commuting and errands. Maybe 5% of my rides are just for pleasure, probably less.

I am happy with my CX (which I am keeping) but for regular urban riding the GS has the following advantages

• More upright cycling stance for visibility (mine and other road users), step through frame and enclosed chainset mean I can cycle in “normal” clothes
  • Pitstop wheels make sorting out a puncture quick and easy
  • 12” wheels and fat tyres make for easier manoeuvring and faster cornering (my feet overlap my CX’s front wheel due to it’s geometry)
  • Integrated accessories, in particular mudguards, and panniers.
  • Electric boost to get away at lights and junctions.
  • Easily dismantled for occasional trips away.

The GS also appealed as it seemed to be a bike designed from the “ground up” rather than a conventional bike with a battery added.

I have found the bike has met my expectations - it is very easy to slot through congested streets and I really appreciate the more upright stance. The fat tyres inspire confidence when cornering, and it has a much tighter turning circle than my CX.

That electric “push” is extremely welcome when grinding through traffic and negotiating hazards. It is quite a disappointment when the motor cuts out at 15.5 mph but then I’m up and rolling and the bike isn’t too heavy to be ridden without electric power. I wish the top gear was a little taller so I wasn’t spinning quite so fast over 16mph but that is a minor issue. Anyway the 15.5 mph limit is a consequence of regulations not the GS’s abilities.

I am lucky in that I have secure parking at most places I am likely to cycle to. I certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving this chained up outside a tube station all day.

Accessories are pricey but I am willing to pay the extra for bespoke items make for the bike. In particular the way the front pannier clips securely on is wonderful.

Lastly the thing looks fantastic in the flesh - a real head turner. But this form is a result of function. And there are lots of small details that are really thoughtful - the integrated kickstand, the cable lock that attaches to the rear suspension, the mounting point underneath the saddle for an allen key, the app and smartphone mount. I could go on…

Although pricey, the current £300 discount this month makes a difference. This is a wonderful bike, one I can use every day for years to come.

Any questions, please ask!

P1050400.JPG

P1050402.JPG

Wave

Oct 7, 2017
London
Very nice review.

How are your finding the battery life?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

richard calvert

Oct 22, 2017
London
I got one on the 19th October for commuting, my ride home from work (7.5 miles through South London) was really fast and comfortable, and I passed 90% of the other cyclists without breaking a sweat wearing a pair of trousers and a jumper. I agree that the front pannier is a fantastic piece of equipment, clipping on and off to a little bump in the stem, The whole package is really elegant and much more discreet in grey than "look at me" G3 - I don't really want to be stared at and I didn't feel like I was. As for "thoughtful details" though - there are a lot, but not all of those have London in mind. For example the wheels and seatpost can be removed quickly without tools, and the shop said that anti-theft bolts were an optional extra... This is a benefit in some situations but not when you want to leave the bike outside a London supermarket on the way home. Also the manual says: "We do not recommend riding in heavy rain or standing water... If your Gocycle gets wet, clean and dry it within 15 minutes of heavy wet weather riding". And water getting into the battery would be ... the end, so why is the battery charge port right behind and facing the rear wheel? Mudguards that would provide some protection against catastrophic water damage to the battery are also an optional extra. Still I bought it so I am rooting for it.

richard calvert

Oct 22, 2017
London
Yes or I'll sneak it onto the train. Even if one thing on your bike folds you can take it on the train as a "folding" bike, but I wouldn't do it if it was really busy. Just commuted to work - really good fun, I did 15 miles (round trip) in "city" mode and it says the battery is at 50% so the range is more than adequate for my commute - that's with the lights on constantly and carrying my front pannier bag. It struggled up the last hill (about 12% gradient i reckon), the motor isn't really very torquey but you can build up speed pretty fast on the flat. Just wore a shirt, wool jumper and trousers, didn't get sweaty or dirty at all, beat the train by about 20 mins.
The gocycle (optional extra) lights are very good - i tried a Orbea Katu and the rear light was pitiful, I think the LED on my kettle is brighter.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Wave

Oct 7, 2017
London
Just came back from work (~10 miles) under the rain and all good. Not extremely heavy rain but significant.

I would assume until you do not ride under torrential rain for a few hours it should be OK. I guess the same with most ebikes.

In any case I would not ride in such whether.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Related Articles

Advertisers