Gocycle...too flash??

Supermack

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2009
Greater London, HA3
Hey..

I have just ordered a Gocycle (it was at a great discount). It was exactly the bike I was looking for because of its weight...16kg.

Now I love the look of it - it looks high tech and futuristic..

The thing is...where I live...there is a bit of crime..so we have to be careful.

I don't want to come across too flashy..but I still want to use the tech..

So I figured I may camouflage it by giving it a new paint job?

I found this as a starter..

Anybody got any recommendations? Do you think I need to prep the body before I start? What colour ? Has anybody else done something like this??

Thanks..

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
no one in there right mind will bother nicking that:D

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It's not my thing, but I can see why some people would be attracted to it.

The Go-Cycle has certainly raised the profile of electrically assisted bike and it has found its way into John Lewis stores. If John Lewis' buyers can see a market for it, I'm not going to argue that no one would want it.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Fancy Paintjob

Don`t do it, you will spoil it Supermack . You can`t hide a lovely shape like that whatever colour you apply . Think who will buy it if you want to upgrade ? Buy a good lock or chain or don`t leave it in dodgy places .

Supermack

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2009
Greater London, HA3
Yeah - I think I will keep it as it is. I don't want to get dragged down into 'miserable' street wisdom. I kinda like the glamour. I hope to use it for commuting to work, and checking out the local countryside. Thanks Roger the Dodger.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I love the look and the neat engineering. If you think you can do a decent cammo paint job then why not! Resale value aside you would likely have one of the first custom cammo Go-Cycles! Photos if you do!

The Go-Cycle was what peaked my interest in ebikes - it was only because my boss didn't want to get involved in the cycle to work scheme that I didn't get one.

Good luck with it, whatever way you go with the paint.

Supermack

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2009
Greater London, HA3
In my head the paint job looks amazing. However in reality.... It will be a complete mess...with paint flaking off under the sun...and badly finished areas..

Would be cool to get it professionally done...but don't know if that is possible. A kinda black with flames..

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I was wondering how much of it is metal and how much is plastic. Plastic can be a real pain to spray. You never know if it will react badly. Still I bet that military paint sticks to anything!

Supermack

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2009
Greater London, HA3
Yeah...that paint looks kinda ball-busting. The good thing about the gocycle is that comes apart ...so I guess it would be easy to paint. I could just lay down some newspaper in my kitchen and paint each part. It could be wise..I guess..

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
before you see your main-problem in the color..

have you already ridden it ?
testdriven it ?

do it !

its light, realy...
compared to most other e-bikes you can buy its realy a joy to lift it because of its low weight..

but that is it..
driving it: maybe i don´t like the feeling of 20"-like bikes anyway when it comes to steering
and then the motor-sound
WEEEEHEEEEHHEEEEEEEEE
horrible
i tested it on a test-cycle were 15 other bikes were driving (hubmotor, flyers, kalkhoff with centermotor, ...)
but this one was as load as all other together

the the kind of motor-controll.. a button..
first it goes of slowly, than there is - for this little motor - a amazing short pull (very good torque) and it tops out

so not very much logic, where simple
Fullthrottle or nothing

from drive-feeling: it feels like a toy..
i can not realy imagin to use it daily on a regular basis..
to drive it let say 5000km per year to work

from design - no question - it look superb..
some very nice ideas and hands down:
maybe the only bike that was realy designed as an e-bike and looks great

from function, driving skills, driving behaviour and feeling: i would not buy it..
and it feels light but like it was from plastic (which infact it was)

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
oh.. you have already bought it..
sorry for my posting..

didn´t want to argue bad about your already bought bike..

if you like it its ok..
for me it would be a nono because of the mentioned points

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
As an alternative to painting you could consider having a professional vinyl wrap. When you tire of it or want to sell, just take it off.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I quite like it :p

Light, suspension back and front and it disassembles to fit in a case if I recall.

Just make sure its on your house insurance to cover it against theft, get a decent lock and then ride and enjoy it, especially if as you say you got it at a bargain price :)

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
I'd try the vinyl route but first make sure it is removable before starting.
However much the purchase price the potential resale value would be reduced if the buyer does not like the change - if they do so much the better.

Mind you I once painted one of my motorcycles with a four blue cammo paint job, it looked surprisingly good.

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
I like this bike, the only concern is the limited range. How much are additional batterys?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Vinyl wrap is a good idea - you could have any design you like, including gloss back with flames, plus you can remove it.

The flip side is customising stuff yourself can be a really rewarding process. I learnt to spray paint on bikes, eventually having a go on a 70's beetle and I did a really go job of it. I maybe spray one vehicle every 2 years (that's about how long it takes me to restore a VW camper) purely for my own enjoyment and it is one of the most rewarding jobs you can do on a car. The internet is a wonderful resource for learning how to do stuff well!