GoCycle

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Just a heads-up.

GoCycle are offering a 30% discount for Velo Vision readers. £795-00 seems a pretty good bargain, to me.....

gocycle

Last edited:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi has anyone tried these bikes or the ultra motor both bikes seem to be british designed if not british built. be interesting to know how they perform

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is a remarkably good price for anyone who wants to make a statement with one of these.

Must be horribly low geared though with that tiny chainwheel and small wheels, the technical specification avoiding giving any ratios on the three speed, which I assume is a Nexus or similar. As the mobile shows, it's not much better than one to one on the sprockets. This must be attended to in the design if it's to be at all practical.

Last edited:

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
It just says "Cleandrive (R)... 3 speed sequential gearbox" If it's unique to this, I guess first gear would be direct-drive.... Who knows?

Pity the review in VeloVision has been delayed...

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could be Miles. However, to make the top gear anywhere near high enough the ratios will have to be extremely wide. At a guess a direct drive low will be about 25 to 28" which is ok, but that would need 300% span to give a just about useful top gear, over 50% wider than typical 3 speed hubs.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Interesting little machine though isnt it? Some nice ideas packed into a single machine.

I particularly like the attention to detail in the execution of the 'clean ride' design concept.

I did :) on reading that once he was heckled for riding a small wheeled folder and so he built this instead...:)

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
It's possible that there's a step-up gear at the crank end, I suppose.

Must be quite an expensive bike to produce...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's possible that there's a step-up gear at the crank end, I suppose.
I hope not, judging by the high drag of the Schlumpf bottom bracket two speed units. :(

As you say. it must cost a lot to produce such a unique and generally well implemented design and that offer price appears to be selling well below cost, especially if only a few have been produced so far.

It would be good to see it succeed, but it could hardly have arrived at a more difficult time. I notice on the BBC today that Brompton are aiming to up production by 30% for next year, so that won't help matters.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Excellent web presentation of the bike. A great for the likes of Cambridge.. or other flat towns and cities..perhaps useless for Bath..like many others

Is it over designed though, and a little gimmicky?

bw
musicbooks

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
A very neat and tidy looking bike also looks sturdy and has that modern look:D i think the teenagers would like one but maybe not the price.nigel.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
The patent document just refers to a conventional 3 speed arrangement, with direct-drive as the middle gear. The ratio between chainring and rear sprocket in the patent illustration seems to be about 2:1.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The patent document just refers to a conventional 3 speed arrangement, with direct-drive as the middle gear. The ratio between chainring and rear sprocket in the patent illustration seems to be about 2:1.
Yes, I think it will be very low geared, the perennial problem with virtually all small wheel folders. The photo of the bike and the graphic of the transmission in action seem to point to rather less less than 2:1 though, which isn't at all promising.

My 20" wheel Q bike has a huge 60 tooth chainwheel driving a 13 tooth top gear sprocket which still only gives a reasonable 92" top gear. This bike is likely to be well below that even with wide ratios.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed, it's only just geared for the legal 25 kph assist limit :confused:
Seems to be almost the rule for small wheel folders apart from the odd Dahon with a DualDrive or Brompton with the optional largest chainwheel.

Perhaps not so annoying when unpowered, but when they are motorised its a bit irritating not to be able to pedal well beyond the motor speed when the going suits. I'm running at nearly 25 mph at a 90 cadence on the Q bike, but that cadence would look a bit daft at a leisurely speed on the GoCycle.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The photo of the bike and the graphic of the transmission in action seem to point to rather less less than 2:1 though, which isn't at all promising.
The graphic also shows the brake disk as stationary when the wheel is spinning, a new development with the caliper fixed to the wheel maybe?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The graphic also shows the brake disk as stationary when the wheel is spinning, a new development with the caliper fixed to the wheel maybe?
All part of the clever design perhaps, the brake disc only rotating when it's needed. :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
More GoCycle info from Velovision.

The gear ratios are 35", 53" and 71", so a bit too wide ratio really and a lowish top gear, giving a cadence of around 74 at the assist limit of 15.5 mph. Fast cadence freaks like me would be ok, but many members will think their legs are in danger of falling off at over 70 cadence judging from past postings.

The recommended price of the next April production batch is £1158 including VAT. The optional extra tiny front wheel motor and small frame battery don't look as though they'll give much assistance, but the all up weight with the electric system is 16.3 kg, a world record low for a production e-bike. No price given yet for the electric assist though.

Velovision intend a review in a forthcoming issue.

Last edited:

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
For what its worth...............

I see two markets here.First,you lot who know your onions and the best bits for bikes etc etc,secondly the new " trendy " bikes aimed at younger people,lower performance etc etc but lighter and folding for public transport.

The two should never mix.