Going forward while looking back

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I tend to wobble a little, especially when trying to look back when cycling. I'm experimenting with a Woosh Gallego and, when I eventually get out on the road I'd like a couple of Mirrycle mirrors to reflect my progress. However the ends of the handlebars are covered by shiny silver metal stops. Is it ok to saw these off and install the Mirrycles?
Also, while I'm seeking advice, has any owner solved the problem of how to bring home the papers/bread/cheese & wine from the Co-op? I don't fancy having to use a rucksack ?
TIA'
Tom

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
Your end stops - they're definitely a solid part of your handlebars and not push fit into the ends?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Also, while I'm seeking advice, has any owner solved the problem of how to bring home the papers/bread/cheese & wine from the Co-op? I don't fancy having to use a rucksack ?
I would put a front basket on the handlebars if I had one of those.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Tom, might I suggest something else, and no offence is meant by it. :)

If I have read your post correctly it sounds like a confidence issue, and that you aren't perhaps currently riding fast enough to maintain enough momentum to keep your balance.

It could be an idea to find an empty car park that has marked parking bays within, and then ride your bike along the front edge of the parking bay lines, slowly increasing your speed.

Forget about looking round, and just focus on riding and looking ahead, without looking down, to stay on or reasonably close to the white line.

Once you have mastered this, then start to glance round. If you maintain a reasonable enough speed, you should ultimately be able to look around without wobbling. :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes, that's an idea - need to be quickish release for when the bike's folded ...
The mounting thingy usually stays on the bars and the basket clips on and off. Most bike shops do them and the big sporting supermarkets too.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Tom, might I suggest something else, and no offence is meant by it. :)

If I have read your post correctly it sounds like a confidence issue, and that you aren't perhaps currently riding fast enough to maintain enough momentum to keep your balance.

Once you have mastered this, then start to glance round. If you maintain a reasonable enough speed, you should ultimately be able to look around without wobbling. :)
Thanks, Eddie - a worthwhile suggestion - no offence taken!
Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
An alternative is a rack bag that sits on top of the small Gallego rack. If mounted well forward on the rack it should still allow the fold while attached. Here's an example of one designed for folding bikes.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I tend to wobble a little, especially when trying to look back when cycling. I'm experimenting with a Woosh Gallego and, when I eventually get out on the road I'd like a couple of Mirrycle mirrors to reflect my progress. However the ends of the handlebars are covered by shiny silver metal stops. Is it ok to saw these off and install the Mirrycles?
TIA'
Tom
As a convert to biking 7 years ago (not someone who has done millions of miles) I have never mastered the looking behind thing so I suppose I never will! I find if I try to actually focus on the traffic behind I tend to veer to the right and then overcomprnsate creating a sort of controlled wobble...[emoji10]
Now I use the bar end mirrycle and only glance to the side, not actually look behind.
Put yourself in the driving seat looking at you on your bike..
Do you look like a pro cyclist? No!
Do you look confident and riding in a predictable manner? No!
What do you do as the driver?... allow more room than normal when overtaking.
So perhaps your riding style might actually help keep you safe..[emoji56]

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
As a convert to biking 7 years ago (not someone who has done millions of miles) I have never mastered the looking behind thing so I suppose I never will! I find if I try to actually focus on the traffic behind I tend to veer to the right and then overcomprnsate creating a sort of controlled wobble...[emoji10]
Now I use the bar end mirrycle and only glance to the side, not actually look behind.
Put yourself in the driving seat looking at you on your bike..
Do you look like a pro cyclist? No!
Do you look confident and riding in a predictable manner? No!
What do you do as the driver?... allow more room than normal when overtaking.
So perhaps your riding style might actually help keep you safe..[emoji56]
I like it, I really do. All you need is faith! :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you ever lose your wobble try developing an unpredictable zig-zag riding style as in "I am admiring my surroundings but not very concentrated on the road". Does wonders for keeping car passing distances reasonable. After all they zig-zag all over the place while texting on their phone... :mad:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
If you ever lose your wobble try developing an unpredictable zig-zag riding style as in "I am admiring my surroundings but not very concentrated on the road". Does wonders for keeping car passing distances reasonable. After all they zig-zag all over the place while texting on their phone... :mad:
Wonder how I would cope to predict an unpredictable wobble? Would more cake and ale help? I'm in Warrington - who would believe I'm admiring my surroundings?

Reactions: anotherkiwi

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Tom,

It may be worthwhile contacting your local councils road safety unit. Some local authorities are running cycle training schemes for adults, much on the lines of the old cycling proficiency schemes that ran in the 70's and 80's.

They will be full of adults so no kids !

It may help you develope your cycling skills and alleviate your wobbles etc

Best of luck :)

Kelly P

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2016
Tom,

It may be worthwhile contacting your local councils road safety unit. Some local authorities are running cycle training schemes for adults, much on the lines of the old cycling proficiency schemes that ran in the 70's and 80's.

They will be full of adults so no kids !

It may help you develope your cycling skills and alleviate your wobbles etc

Best of luck :)

I did one of these a few years ago, it was great and they covered looking behind and signalling etc. Defiantly recommend!