going more than 15mph

If i ride at more than 15mph am i liable to be pulled for speeding. Affecting my driveing licence? :eek:
when i used to ride a standard bike i would normaly ride an average of 20mph.
thanks. :confused:
Eddie

matt-derby

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Derby UK
>15mph

Not at all.. Most bikes will free-wheel at greater than 15mph down hill with no pedalling.

Average of 20mph.. That's good going!

If they can prove your electric powered assistance is helping you go faster than 15mph then possibly. So as long as you're pedalling and not using a throttle you should be OK.

Flecc has posted many articles relating to the exact wording of the regulations.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Only sinners ride faster then 15mph:eek:

May the patrion saint of e`bikes forgive me, I AM A SINNER.:eek: omg ;) :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only the power assist is limited to 15.5 mph, you can pedal above that as fast as you like. Also the UK road speed limits are part of the motor vehicle regulations, they dont apply to bikes, horses or runners, so you can break any signed motor vehicle road limit at will. This doesn't apply to local regulations or private land regulations which can sometimes apply to bikes as well.

I've personally ridden downhill on an e-bike at 45 mph (in an urban area) and some of our members are part of our unofficial "over 50 mph" club, only just though.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Expect to see me doing this down the high steet some time soon!
That link is a bit out of date. Canadian Sam Whittington has broken his own Battle Mountain event record twice since then, currently it's at over 83 mph, riding Varna bikes. These are designed by ex-pat Russian Georgio Georgiev who lives in Canada now. Georgio's day job is mobility bike design, a bit different!

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
There's nothing you can do riding an E- bike that can affect your driving license. Unless it's in your pocket and you ride into a canal.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
There's nothing you can do riding an E- bike that can affect your driving license. Unless it's in your pocket and you ride into a canal.
this is true on a pushbike - for excessive speed the charge is "wanton and furious driving" which dates back before the motor age, but I think the cops/CPS can only use this charge when a collision has occured.

There are also charges of careless and dangerous cycling.

I'd agree that with factory built e-bikes designed for the UK or EU the only charges applicable would be the same as pedal cycles.

however with a a modified/home built bike over a certain power I think there is a very slim chance that someone could be busted for riding an illegal "moped" and that would earn points on a license but I reckon they would have to be being a complete fool on the roads (such as riding at excessive speed in an anti-social manner in a busy area) to get nicked.

I have an interest in criminology and thus check the details of every crime and road collision I see in the papers, I have been doing this for many years and other than some unfortunate collisions of riders on push bikes with pedestrians in city areas, the only other dangerous cycling case I am aware of was a lad in Reading who in 1994 took 4 ecstasy tablets as well as a fair bit of booze and then proceeded to ride fast but eratically through the pedestrianised area (causing people to take evasive action) as well weaving in front of moving buses, just months after they had just installed CCTV in town. I think he got fined about £400.

Maybe you could call it an "e-bike" but not the sort we are used to :D

(It wasn't me BTW)

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
If i ride at more than 15mph am i liable to be pulled for speeding. Affecting my driveing licence? :eek:
thanks. :confused:
Eddie
Eddie you could always deny the alligation that you were speeding, after all, absolute speed does not exist anyway.:)

Mark

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
....Also the UK road speed limits are part of the motor vehicle regulations, they dont apply to bikes, horses or runners, so you can break any signed motor vehicle road limit at will. .....
I just love this bit. I think we've posted on here before about it. But basically there is a 1984 Act and a 1988 Act which talk about speed limits and traffic regulations. One Act refers to motor vehicles and the other to vehicles. The upshot is that all vehicles have to obey stop signs, traffic lights, etc, but speed limits only apply to motor vehicles.

An e-bike is not a motor vehicle, so its not subject to the speed limits.

Nick

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
The police around our way have been given permission to shoot to kill any electric bike rider appearing to be over 15 mph.As I drove into work this morning I passed an X6 and Windsor rider today lying in the gutter in pools of blood.Pedestrians just walked by them as if they were not there.Every one hates Electric bikes and their riders,be careful.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Eddie F posted:
If i ride at more than 15mph am i liable to be pulled for speeding. Affecting my driveing licence?
thanks.
Eddie

My road going MTB style ebike is still giving me a little push at 16mph and that’s how it came out of the box.
So I regularly cruse at 15-16mph.

flecc posted:
I've personally ridden downhill on an e-bike at 45 mph (in an urban area) and some of our members are part of our unofficial "over 50 mph" club, only just though.

I have tried and tried but can't get over 30mph down hill on my ebike (got 29mph once).
The regeneration in the back wheel acts like a brake .... I would love to be like you lot of lawbreakers ;) :D

-----------------------------------------------
Bike #1
Cougar Mountain Electric Bike 36v 200w rear wheel Hub motor (Jul07), 10 Ah LiFePo4 battery (Apr08)
Maximum range (road/hills - Cornwall) 18 miles. Maximum range (on flat) 25 miles

Bike #2
20 year old 18 gear mountain bike 36v 500w Goldenmotor front hub motor (Jun 09), 9 AH DIY rack-pack or 15 AH SLA (depending on trip). Used off road

Last edited:

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
flecc posted:

I have tried and tried but can't get over 30mph down hill on my ebike (got 29mph once).
The regeneration in the back wheel acts like a break .... I would love to be like you lot of lawbreakers ;) :D
I know the hill that Flecc did that on. On my Kalkhoff, I made it to 38mph on the same hill before I bottled it and reached for the brakes. Flecc is a braver man than me (... or maybe there were less potholes when he did it). Personally I don't think mankind was really designed for speeds above 30mph anyway :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc is a braver man than me (... or maybe there were less potholes when he did it).
Dunno about that. I found it terrifying on that particular stretch which is bumpy and ridged and has a nasty T junction at Sandpiper Road, but I just gritted my teeth and carried on.

On the Giant Lafree Twist that I had at one time I bottled it at 37 mph there since it didn't have the high speed handling of the eZee Torq and it got just too scary.

Please, please stop with all the drug jokes:D
i`m getting a head ache.
i`ll have to take a pedelseatamol :eek:

:D :D

X JEDI SINGH X

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2009
Luton
If they can prove your electric powered assistance is helping you go faster than 15mph then possibly. So as long as you're pedalling and not using a throttle you should be OK.

Will that not allow Thumb throttle for on road?
Why use with or without pedalling:confused: