Good basic ebike option?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your first link isn't working so I couldn't check that.

The larger bike on the second link looks fine for a budget bike. It's what we call a "parts bin" bike, the components used by a number of makers who assemble these e-bikes from readily available items. However, it uses a lithium ion battery which is best not run to empty all the time and prefers to be charged at each use, or if the use is very short, after two or three uses.

Bear in mind that these budget bikes don't usually stay on the market for long and getting a replacement battery after a couple of years can sometimes be a problem. However, that one looks like one that's commonly used on several bike makes, so might not be so much of a problem in the future.

beargardens

Just Joined
Aug 8, 2008
I'm just looking for something that would take me to school to work and back home again. Maybe 12 miles tops but over several hours. (I'm not lazy I have health problems)
I thought lithium was one of the best kinds to use, better than Nihm. Can you recommend anything else in the same price range for me?

Here's the correct link for the kit btw
sorry about that
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=4445

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lithium is indeed the currently popular type, and it has some advantages. I was going by the fact that you seemed to express a preference for NiMh.

I'm guessing that you are in the USA from your dollar mention, and the cheaper bikes on the market there are usually different from what we have in the UK, only the major and expensive brands the same in both countries. Therefore I don't know any suitable recommendations for there.

Here's the link direct to that motor kit at batteryspace

It may be the one of those we know as the Crystalyte or Puma. Both are good motors and powerful, so you could certainly build a good performance bike with it, and the range would be ok for your journey. It would probably be faster than the other bike, but more expensive of course if a bike has to be bought to build the kit onto.

Last edited: