good bike to convert with disc brakes under £400?

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Hi,
So i bought a conversion kit, I like it , though i`m using an old bike with V brakes, i`d really like to convert something with disc brakes and pannier holes as the battery is a rack battery, any suggestions on a decent off road bike that can handle bumps well for less than £400 with 26" wheels?

regards,

Stuart

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi,
So i bought a conversion kit, I like it , though i`m using an old bike with V brakes, i`d really like to convert something with disc brakes any suggestions on a decent off road bike that can handle bumps well for less than £400?

regards,

Stuart
Have a look at the Carrera Kraken. Halfords have them at about £330 at the mo, which is very good for a bike that includes hydraulic disks, 27 gears and a lockout fork (suntour XCR I think)

Last edited:

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
thanks for the reply Alan, that looks nice but forgot to add it needs to be a 26" wheel ! as my conversion kit has a 26" wheel

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
thanks for the reply Alan, that looks nice but forgot to add it needs to be a 26" wheel ! as my conversion kit has a 26" wheel
If I were in your shoes, I'd have the Kraken and get the hub laced into a new rim.

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
ok,i`ve asked if the people who i bought the conversion kit can replace the 26 inc wheel with the 27.5 , the Kraken looks good. i emailed the people i got the conversion kit off they said get a Carrera too. though i dont think they realised they are all 27.5

Reactions: Alan Quay

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
thanks Tommie, that looks good too. how would i get cashback on it?

Stuart

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
FYI, your hub motor will spend more time opperating inefficiently, the larger the wheel you use. If you can avoid a lager wheel, both your motor and battery will experience less operational stress.

Also, at any given power level, a smaller wheel will give better acceleration at the cost of a lower top speed.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: trex

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
FYI, your hub motor will spend more time opperating in an inefficient zone, the larger the wheel you use. If you can avoid a lager wheel, both your motor and battery will experience less operational stress.

Also, at any given power level, a smaller wheel will give better acceleration at the cost of a lower top speed.
You are correct, but from a practical standpoint the difference between 26" and 650b (27.5) is not enough to worry about. There will be about 0.5 mph between them, I'd be surprised if anyone could detect the torque difference.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
You are correct, but from a practical standpoint the difference between 26" and 650b (27.5) is not enough to worry about. There will be about 0.5 mph between them, I'd be surprised if anyone could detect the torque difference.
Indeed, only about a 5% difference, but having the facts to make a balanced decision is never a bad thing. I personally would prefer the gain in efficiency and torque and would drop from 26" to 24" if I ever had to replace my rear wheel. If I only rode tarmac I would be running a 20" rear in a heartbeat.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
A switch to 24" would open up the possibility to use direct drive motors instead of geared hubs.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Might be worth looking at the B'TWIN brand in Decathlon too. I bought my son one after looking through the Halfords offerings and believe they are exceptional value for money. I found they had better components than the equivalent prices Carreras. Failing that, you are pretty much touching into Specialized territory, which would knock it up another notch, and I have a lot of time for the brand.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
IMO, a new bike almost never makes sense for an electric conversion. The warranty is as good as worthless after the bike has been modified and there are plenty of great used frames avaliable at great savings.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
I agree with Daniel, personally I would always build up my own bike from used components but some folks like the fuss free option.

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Hi Planemo i still have an old btwin rockrider 6.3 ,it can`t be converted though,no pannier rack mounts, i`m still fond of it though !

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
I bought the Rockrider, 340 model I think for my boy, and yes you have to be careful if considering future upgrades with some models as his one doesnt have disc mounts on the forks or frame but for the money its a very fine bike.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: trex