Got my Cytronex!

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I follow the instructions and don't do standing starts. There's another thread with comments from Mark at Cytronex regarding this. I usually pull away using a fairly low gear. This gets me to about 5 MPH (it's doesn't need to be exactly 5MPH and I dont check the speed on the computer) very quickly - several revolutions of the pedals or so. I then press the boost button which quite quickly gets me up to about about 11 MPH. At about 11 MPH I sometimes press the additional boost button which gives me extra power - It depends if I feel I need it or I'm overtaking parked cars. I don't really think about it much. Acceleration at junctions is a big improvement over normal cycling and personally I find it gives me more confidence. I have cycled up some long steep hills and the speed will vary depending on the hill and how much effort I put in and whether I use the the extra boost button (I usually do). Generally I think I get between about 11.5 and 16.5 MPH on the steeper hills I've cycled - the length of the hill not being an issue. That's sitting down and not exerting myself (defined by me not getting out of breath or breaking into a sweat). I'm in my early 50's and havent cycled much for years. Top speed so far down steepest hill 34 MPH and less steep 28.4 MPH - but that's really going for it! Usualy I just take it easy averaging about 12MPH regardless of hills or headwinds.I used full power quite a lot when I first had the bike but find I usually only use it uphill now. Locally about 1.5 mles radius the area is quite flat and I don't bother with the power at all. On local visits to the shops etc I leave the battery and the computer at home and find it's just like a normal bike which it is. The front hub is small and light and handling the bike up curbs and through doors etc is very easy even with the battery on. As Flecc says it's best to try before you by. A trip to Winchester is well worth the effort and there's no shortage of hills to try it on. Hope this helps

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
I'm looking at this and the new Powabyke x bike.

I think from comments I've read that the cytronex isn't going to stay at the sub 1000 quid price for long which is a shame as I'm won't be buying for a couple of weeks. I'm a 20 minute train ride from Winchester, so getting there isn't an issue.

I'm going to see a Powabyke at my local shop early next week.

It will be interesting to compare the range of both bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think from comments I've read that the cytronex isn't going to stay at the sub 1000 quid price for long which is a shame as I'm won't be buying for a couple of weeks.
In situations like this it pays to be cheeky Mattyduk. :)

Ring Mark at Cytronex and tell him you are considering one but also have appointments to try others first, asking if he'll hold the £995 price for you. At worst he will only say no, but there's a good chance he will say yes, so there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Cytronex

01962 866122

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yes I believe Mark said back in August on this forum that the new range of treks was coming in soon and that he expected the price to rise. Re the range - I'm just on my 4th charge after draining it several times before recharging. I think that means the battery should be at it's best now. 1st charge I got about 17 - 18 miles. 2nd I think was 21, 3rd was 23 miles. Mileage is going to be very much dependent on how much weight the bikes carrying and what the road conditions are like and of course how much effort you put in.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I'm looking at this and the new Powabyke x bike.

I think from comments I've read that the cytronex isn't going to stay at the sub 1000 quid price for long which is a shame as I'm won't be buying for a couple of weeks. I'm a 20 minute train ride from Winchester, so getting there isn't an issue.

I'm going to see a Powabyke at my local shop early next week.

It will be interesting to compare the range of both bikes
I think you will find that the Cytronex very different to the Powerbyke x bike. The main thing they have in common is the bottle battery and bringing with it, a low range. However the Cytronex truely rides like a normal bicycle and that is coming from somebody who has been disappointed by every other electric bike he has ridden. The fact that is rides so well without power goes some way to mitigating its poor range. I haven't ridden the Powerbyke but my guess is that it rides like every other electric i.e. a bit of a pig without power. In the end you pay your money and the cytronex is a lot more (but well worth it in my opinion). By the way Mark had plenty of 2008 Treks in stock a few weeks ago so I would guess you are reasonably safe price wise for a while.

Last edited:

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Is it still £995 or discount for old stock?
Might get myself an ezee kit but not sure how easy to fit , can I fit it to my Raleigh bike with 26'' wheels.

thx

Bob

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Do you think they would take £800 cash for ex demo or old model?

I will check ebay, wish me luck

thx

Bob

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
emailed mark and they haven't got any medium frame size models left in stock, so I'd have to got a smaller frame or up to the 7300

Going to have a look at a powerbyke x at the local bike shop this lunch time. Doubt if they will let me ride it unless I leave my credit card !! but I'll report back on how it looks

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
saw the powabyke x bike at lunchtime

First of all, I'm not sure whether this is a preproduction model (I'm sure Frank will confirm this or not), but the battery was definately not a water bottle shape, it's more like a very large silver cylinder i.e it looks like a big battery.

So I think that put me off a bit initially.

Action Bikes were kind enough to let me have a quick go up and down a flat street (no hill tests), and it works fine, does what it says on the tin. Maybe I was expecting more of a normal bike look (like the cytronex), but this version, whilst a big improvement on the original powabyke looks, still looked a bit too "electric" for me.

I think it's probably the uglyness of the battery and also the secondary ignition box that's putting me off.

I'm going to try and go Cytronex this weekend, and compare the two. It maybe that as I'm a seasoned (well,a year and a half) manual cyclist that this may suit me.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
saw the powabyke x bike at lunchtime

First of all, I'm not sure whether this is a preproduction model (I'm sure Frank will confirm this or not), but the battery was definately not a water bottle shape, it's more like a very large silver cylinder i.e it looks like a big battery.

So I think that put me off a bit initially.

Action Bikes were kind enough to let me have a quick go up and down a flat street (no hill tests), and it works fine, does what it says on the tin. Maybe I was expecting more of a normal bike look (like the cytronex), but this version, whilst a big improvement on the original powabyke looks, still looked a bit too "electric" for me.

I think it's probably the uglyness of the battery and also the secondary ignition box that's putting me off.

I'm going to try and go Cytronex this weekend, and compare the two. It maybe that as I'm a seasoned (well,a year and a half) manual cyclist that this may suit me.
The xbike that was featured on Something for the Weekend t'other week also had the plain cylinder battery. I'd imagine it's a stop gap that Powabyke have had to resort to following the fire at their battery suppliers.

I really don't see where the xbike looks 'too electric' it really looks like a normal pushy to me. I'm 'aving one as soon as I can get me hands on em.

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
The xbike that was featured on Something for the Weekend t'other week also had the plain cylinder battery. I'd imagine it's a stop gap that Powabyke have had to resort to following the fire at their battery suppliers.

I really don't see where the xbike looks 'too electric' it really looks like a normal pushy to me. I'm 'aving one as soon as I can get me hands on em.
Don't get me wrong, it's a big improvement from the Synergie 37kg ebike I had 3 years a go, but maybe because it's just so much chunkier than my existing road bike (the silver ignition box on the back isn't a nice aesthetic), it will take time to get used to.

I think my sudden aversion to it, is mainly due to the replacement battery. Also it still had it's docs/toolkit taped to it, which didn't help. There is an overuse of a garish Powabyke logo, which of course wasn't on the original pics I received from Frank.

I might go back and have another look later in the week, but hopefully there will be some news soon about the replacement battery as with this current version, it's ugly and looks like your carrying some kind of cyberman bomb :)

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Obviously I can't comment on the bike itself having only seen the publicity shots but I will be a bit upset if it's covered in powabyke logos to the detriment of the look of the bike. I know it makes me look vain, but I want to be riding a nice looking bike as well as a practical one. The Cytronex's/ X-Bikes/ Infineums all seem to tick those boxes.

Incidentally the infineum is released later this month, and will be around £1200.00. Totally out of my budget but still cheaper than the Kalkhoffs.

*puts Dr Who geek hat on* Cyberman bombs you say? ... :D

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
out of stock of the Cytronexes :( unless I want to go from a 17.5" frame.

Looks like I'm going to be waiting for a while then.

Maybe I'll check up the infineum.

Might pop up to action bikes again today and take a few photos on my phone of the powabyke and post links here.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I'd love to see those pics, but I think it might be wise if you post them in one of the xbike threads. I think we've subverted Barnowl's cytronex thread a wee bit. Sorry Barnowl.

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
yeah, true - sorry about that Barnowl !:eek:

Cytronex have now told me the new model isn't going to be available till the end of the year, so it will be that or maybe the infineum, or a better looking (with correct battery) Powabyke

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Hi Mattyduk & Rad

No problem. I got distracted by the Zebra crossing thread! Thought this thread had fizzled out.

Yeah I thought I'd have the supply problem when I decided to get the Cytronex several weeks ago. I was lucky. Sorry to hear you weren't.

If they hadn't got the bike I'd planned to sit the winter out and wait till the 2009 range came out. However having said that the powabyke X does look interesting. For me the benefit would have been that I may have been able to get it on the company Halfords scheme and save 40% of the cost. Depends who's selling it i guess. The piccies on the internet look good but I'd have to see it and try it in real life. I don't see why bikes should be any different to anything else we buy - looks are important. I don't like OTT Logos either.

It's certainly a bit heavier and the recharge time appears to be a whopping 5 hours rather than 1.5 hrs for the Cytronex. It'll be interesting to see a comparison of the bikes in the future. Good luck.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Wow! I wasn't aware that the cytronex recharges so fast. That's incredible.

The x-bike's are definitely available via Halfords on the Cycle2work scheme but Halfords have bumped up the prices a bit. They quoted me £800 for the x6 and £995 for the x24. I'm definitely going for an x-bike but will probably have to wait until the middle of next month as I need the smaller frame. :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wow! I wasn't aware that the cytronex recharges so fast. That's incredible.
That's possible with safety since it's an NiMh battery and only 4.3 Ah.

The X bike uses a lithium battery of much larger capacity as well. Although lithium can be fast charged, individual and higher cell management standards are necessary, so there's a price/safety/charge rate consideration.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yes the 1.5hours charge time is exactly how long it's been taking to recharge the battery. It worked out nicely for me because I can charge the battery when I get up and it's ready to use by the time I leave for work. 5 hours recharge for a shorter range battery (20 miles) might be an issue if you're planning a recharge to get you back home. It would be interesting to know what the Powabyke X is like o cycle without the assist. Does it use the same (Tongxin) motor as the Cytronex?