Got my Powabyke X6!! 2nd thread...

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
Been through that rather meandering thread and I'd like to know more from paul about his experiences, maybe the meanderings can continue wandering that thread?
I have one of the x-bykes but have not been in a position to use it yet- but will be very shortly. I have a few questions, but first I'd like to know Pauls experience in the light of further experience- please?

My bike has made it to my house now following several delays (shed burglary, council 3 day improvements thay look like they will be sorted after nearly 3 months, illness ....), lights on, luggage on, mirror on, batteries charged....
So- that battery. Biggest problem is it just lifts off. Has anyone come up with some kind of locking system?
I've been considering putting them on the rack- cabling is long enough- possibly a small (scooter/motorbike type) top box which has a locking base but the smallest seem to be the height of a single crash helmet, I'd rather have one a little less tall. Or there are velcro fastened rack bags that are a more reasonable size but less secure. Anyone with any thoughts, experiences? I would prefer to leave on bike as carrying things can be difficult.

And 2 complete asides- what do you wear/ recommend for your feet in this weather? What do you think of the Dr Sludge type punture repellant gunge?

Thanks

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Have not tried doctor sludge, but tyreweld ruined a good tyre on a motor bike many years ago making it unrepairable, i would reccomend puncture resistant tyres schwalbe marathon or similar,although a little expensive it seems the choice of most on here.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Threads regarding the various tyre puncture sealant products have had most finding them failing to seal and making subsequent repair very difficult. That's also been my experience with two different makes and four attempts in different tyres.

A small minority have insisted they work well and it seems to be partly a matter of luck, but my vote is for the tried and tested conventional repair which is quick and clean with a little practice. Using puncture resistant tyre types which are known to be effective is also a good precaution, Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Continental Contact Security tyres being exceptional in this respect.

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Been through that rather meandering thread and I'd like to know more from paul about his experiences, maybe the meanderings can continue wandering that thread?
I have one of the x-bykes but have not been in a position to use it yet- but will be very shortly. I have a few questions, but first I'd like to know Pauls experience in the light of further experience- please?
Al(?)

I still really like the X-Byke.

In my personal opinion I think it looks great, although I've never been too keen on the stretched out back wheel look of the seat post battery bikes.

I find it has plenty of power for me only needing minimal assistance from me up the steepest hills. I had been worried before I got it that I would be dissapointed generally with e-bikes lack of power.

On the downside:

I think the rocket launcher is a shame, it could have been so much better aesthetically.

The range is really low, even with quite a lot of pedalling I can't get more than about 13 - 14 miles. I'm considering another battery but they're just so expensive - how much was yours?

I agree with you about security although not sure I'd have the courage to leave my bike anywhere dodgy anyway, one day I may leave it at the station, but not any time soon. I think the answer is probably to take the battery with you, get a few decent locks and good insurance..

Paul