Got my Powabyke X6!!

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Its arrived....

ok, so before I start I should qualify anything I say below as I've never ridden (or even seen in the flesh) any other electric bike..

First impressions are really good - I'm glad I saw the 'rocket launcher' pictures on the other thread as I might have been a bit dissapointed, but really it doesn't look that bad and I'll put a cap on it to look more water bottle like.

I ordered this through cycle scheme and I left it rather late so didn't have much time to make my decision and was a bit worried due to the lack of reviews.

Regarding performance, I was a bit nervous as I'm quite a big chap :rolleyes: 15 odd stone, so wasn't sure how it would cope. I'm really pleased with it the pure power mode kicks in after 3 pedal strokes and pedal assist does what it says on the tin.

Pure power mode struggles a bit on hills, but takes very minimal pedalling to help it out. I haven't rode a bike for years but I managed a 5 mile ride with some quite steep hills this morning without stopping or breaking a sweat - mind you it was -1C!

Only way I can describe it is like having the opposite of brakes, when I switched off the power, it felt like I had the brakes on..;)

Finally, just a word of thanks to Frank at Powabyke hes been really helpful, keeping me informed of when the bike was being despatched and responding really quickly to any questions I had.

I'll post a formal review on the reviews forum and I'll post some pictures later.

Paul

Last edited:

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Cheers for posting this, Paul. Cant wait to read your full review.

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
excellent - sounds like it suits you perfectly.

Shame about the rocket launcher but as you say you can probably disguise it a bit

look forward to seeing the pics and full review

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi Paul.....good to read your post :
I also have an X-bike...I never seriously considered anything else.
I have been riding a bike for 20 years and this was as near what I was used to as I could imagine.
My one problem is the range/charging,

The book ...page 4, says...... 80% of the charging takes 4 hours with a further 4 hours for the last 20%, a total of 8 hours from flat but the reality is that with a flat battery, charging ceases and the light turns green after 2 hours and there is no way of knowing if the battery is fully charged :

I would appreciate your views on the charging procedure.

....Mike

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Thanks all - pics attached..

So - you know how I said that it felt like the brakes were on without power?... well the front one was binding a bit, a little tweak and it goes even better.

Like I said I qualify this as I don't know how others perform.

In respect of charging, this was one of the questions that I asked Frank - he said to leave it charging - he actually recommended doing one charge of 10 - 16hrs to 'condition' the battery.

I also fly r/c aeroplanes and we've been using lithium batteries for a few years now. My experience with them is that when you charge them they reach their peak voltage quite early, but 'rebound' when the input charge is stopped, so chargers give full power until the voltage is hit, then keep topping up the battery at lower and lower input voltage until the voltage doesn;t rebound any more. Hence 80% charged when peak voltage first hit then it trickles in the remaining 20%.

Anyway not sure if its the same in these battery's but certainly the case in my r/c planes Lithium Polymers (Lipo).

Check out RCGroups if you're interested.

I've just bought a cycle computer to put on it, so will let you know re the range, but seemed like after 5 miles this morning the lights were still at three (full)

Paul

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi Paul…I have been in touch with Frank Curran and he advised me to charge the battery overnight:

My dealer said that he had charged it for 15 hours prior to purchase.
Since then I have been removing the charger when it hit green after 2 hours.

It states on the charger GREEN 100% charged. …are you of the opinion that the battery is still charging despite the light being green and the charger cold?

I have said that I am not interested in Pure Power Mode but I will possibly try it in order to give it a fair trial as I too have fitted a trip computer.

It certainly goes like the wind in Power/Pedal mode on the flat.

I will wait ‘till I have given it a fairer trial before saying too much about the range on an open forum.

….Mike

pl1974

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2008
Mike,

Yes my charger goes green after an hour or so, but I have noticed it flickers after a while longer, so I think its still charging i.e. topping up.

I'm on leave from work this week, and the weather has been pretty good so I managed to get out on it again today.

I can confirm that I got 13 miles on a charge with a fair amount of pedalling, I was a bit dissapointed, I'm wondering how to conserve the battery more - I was in pure power mode but pedalling too, I was mainly at full 'throttle' though. Maybe Pedal assist mode with pedalling conserves more?

I'm also wondering about a second battery - did I read somewhere that a second one is stackable or am I getting confused with the Infineum?

Paul

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Thirteen miles on pure power is pretty good going, seeing as Powabyke claim 15 miles in optimal conditions. They also claim 20 miles range in pedelec which may well be worth a try. The infineum from Powacycle is the bike with the stackable battery. You can buy spare batteries from Powabyke (I believe) which may be well worth doing.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Thirteen miles on pure power is pretty good going, seeing as Powabyke claim 15 miles in optimal conditions. They also claim 20 miles range in pedelec which may well be worth a try. The infineum from Powacycle is the bike with the stackable battery. You can buy spare batteries from Powabyke (I believe) which may be well worth doing.
Powabyke have always given reasonable estimates of range (compared to some),remember optimum conditions are completely flat and smooth roads with no wind, and probably a young light and fit rider ,even a light breeze,uneven surface or slight incline will detract from optimum conditions.steep hills and heavier riders can very quickly flatten a battery probably at least halving claimed ranges.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Quote....I can confirm that I got 13 miles on a charge with a fair amount of pedalling, I was a bit dissapointed, I'm wondering how to conserve the battery more..Quote

Hi Paul...how come you were pedaling in Power Mode ?

How about trying what I do ?...Pedal Assist Mode :

Pedal normaly for mile after mile, then when It starts to get difficult use minimum throttle, just enough to maintain speed, then shut off when it gets easy.

This seems to me the best way to conserve power and energy.

.....Mike

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Powabyke have always given reasonable estimates of range (compared to some),remember optimum conditions are completely flat and smooth roads with no wind, and probably a young light and fit rider ,even a light breeze,uneven surface or slight incline will detract from optimum conditions.steep hills and heavier riders can very quickly flatten a battery probably at least halving claimed ranges.
I don't think that the example you quote is reasonable...seems to me that this guy under these conditions does not need any assistance whatsoever :

....reasonable is an average guy on average roads under average conditions.

...just my opinion....Mike

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I think fishingpaul was simply pointing out that this was the way suppliers tend to do it. I suppose they could argue that it is difficult to take account of hills and riders. How steep a hill? How unfit a rider? If they quote range under power on a flat road then you can make adjustments according to your local terrain and your own fitness. It helps a lot to be able to read the independent reports of owners and reviewers.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
interested in the step through for my wife....Is the battery going to change into the water bottle style as advertised in all the sales stuff?

then again the more I look.....its on a cheaply equipped basic bike isn't it?

probably better off with a kit on a better quality bike:confused:

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Think someone mentioned it's a Raleigh Frame Eddieo. It also looks as though the rocket launcher is here to stay. PB's battery manufacturer couldn't guarantee that the cells would charge safely if crammed into that water bottle shape.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Think someone mentioned it's a Raleigh Frame Eddieo. It also looks as though the rocket launcher is here to stay. PB's battery manufacturer couldn't guarantee that the cells would charge safely if crammed into that water bottle shape.
yes I saw a thread on another site which reviewed bike...if the rocket launcher a permanent fixture I would prefer a rack based higher capacity battery:rolleyes:

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
yes I saw a thread on another site which reviewed bike...if the rocket launcher a permanent fixture I would prefer a rack based higher capacity battery:rolleyes:
Do you have a link to that review? I wouldn't mind reading it. To be honest I think I'd rather the battery were rack mounted. I guess Powabyke are stuck with the rocket launcher though.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Yes, I too would prefer this as long as it could not be easily removed by thieves/vandals.
I have a click fit handlebar bag which nicely holds my battery, to carry away with me when I lock up my bike.

The price tag on the Infinium put me off that model....that and the fact that it wasn't available.......I will certainly check it out when it is.

....Mike