iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Strong Frame Bike

Hi

Will these bikes take any weight?
Can anyone recommend a strong frame.
Is there a second hand one for sale anywhere?

thx

Bob
Hello

50cycles have the Kalkhoff Agattu XXL Pedelec "50cycles UK exclusive made in Germany
This is just like the standard Agattu, except with a reinforced frame and rims, which will carry a rider up to 27 stones. Available with a step-thru frame. In stock now "

Newish model so very little chance of a second hand one I should think.

Iain

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I discovered a free bit of software called Sport Track for my Nokia phone... It uses the GPS system to display the speed and distance traveled so I figure I'll just rig up something so I can clip the phone to the handlebars when I'm cycling and not bother with a dedicated speedo.

I fitted the 18-tooth cog over the weekend... Brilliant!!!... That makes everything so much nicer. The bike gears seem better spaced and more effective now and the slower pedaling speed is far better suited for me. I haven't tried it out on my local 1-in-5 hill yet but it's handled everything else I've thrown at it with ease so far.

I've done a couple of trips to the local Sainsburys to try out the panniers and that's been a total success. Far quicker than taking the car and room enough for about 4 bags of shopping. The extra weight on the back didn't make a jot of difference to the handling... still accelerated well... still cornered well.

I went out in the rain on Sunday and discovered that the brakes have far more stopping power than the tires. Braking hard down a steep hill, the rear wheel locked up and for a moment I found myself sliding down the hill towards a stationary car. Quickly releasing and reapplying the back brake soon got things under control again. It's easy to forget quite how much momentum you have when you're moving along at speed. Maybe I should start thinking about a helmet.

Still no sign of buyers remorse :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've done a couple of trips to the local Sainsburys to try out the panniers and that's been a total success. Far quicker than taking the car and room enough for about 4 bags of shopping.
Have they installed bike racks yet Fecn? They use to have racks before the last store expansion but got rid of them at that time. With nowhere else to lock up in the car park I've abandoned that branch since and get by on the new Selsdon store which has a super roofed bike shelter and many racks, but that does have stock problems with it's smaller size.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Have they installed bike racks yet Fecn? They use to have racks before the last store expansion but got rid of them at that time. With nowhere else to lock up in the car park I've abandoned that branch since and get by on the new Selsdon store which has a super roofed bike shelter and many racks, but that does have stock problems with it's smaller size.
Yes - There's 4 or 5 of them next to the cashpoint by the main entrance. They're out of the rain and very convenient for the trolleys too. There's even a ramp going up to the main road (and bus-stop). I plan on doing a trip into Selsdon sometime soon so I can see how the bike handles the hill on the way back up into Farleigh.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Fecn, that's good news, might see you around there some time. :)

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I thought I'd keep this thread alive for a little longer and share some more bike experiences. I found reading through all the forum threads very helpful when deciding which bike was right for me, so perhaps my views will help someone else later down the line.

The weather has been beautiful for the last few days and I've been making good use of it by taking long lunch breaks and running some errands... paying cheques in, posting letters etc.

On Wednesday I decided that as I'd never been to Biggin Hill before and as I wouldn't have to tackle any of the really steep hills to get there, I should go and explore the area and see what shops were there. I took a quick look at the OS map, strapped my phone to the handlebars with a couple of Rapstrap and started up Nokia SportTrack so I could record my route.

My route started with a long gradual 4.5 mile climb past the Harrow pub, along Ledgers Road (startling a deer and two pheasants along the way) and joining the cycle path that runs alongside Limpsfield Road up to Botley Hill Farm at the very top of the North Downs at over 1000ft up. It's downhill to everywhere from here. When I reached the end of the cycle path I spotted what appeared to be a tarmac a footpath labeled as the North Downs Way leading through the woods. As I didn't fancy having to cycle back up the very steep Titsey Hill I took to the path which quickly turned into a leafy track through the forest along the side of the road. I wasn't in any rush so I very slowly picked my way along the path at a couple of miles per hour avoiding all the fallen branches until the route led to a set of about 25 steps leading straight up the side of the hill. Ah well... I picked up the Agattu and climbed the steps. The bike handled the leafy forest path ok except that I had to keep on poking leaves out of the close-fitting mudguards.

At the top of the steps, the path resumed along relatively flat ground until it joined up with White Lane. I looked at the road.. uphill or down... I decided that downhill was probably the right way to get to Biggin Hill and turned down White Lane, upon reaching the bottom I realised that I'd been going in totally the wrong direction and had to turn around and go straight back up the Mighty steep hill again, climbing up around 200ft on a road that's around 800ft long. At one point I got off to push and quickly found that pushing was harder work than cycling in 1st gear.

At the top of the hill I crossed over Clarks Ln and took the gradual downhill along Approach Road towards Tatsfield. At Tatsfield, I took another wrong turn and took the long route out via Tatsfield Lane to join up with the Main Road into Biggin Hill. A long downhill cruise for a couple of miles saw me arrive in the town centre (10 miles since I started). After a stroll down the high street and a quick can of Pepsi from the local newsagent I hopped back on the bike and decided to see if I could manage a better route home. I checked my phone's maps application, worked out a route and headed down the hill, turning off the main road and then heading down the near-vertical polesteeple hill dropping about 130ft in the space of 400ft of road. At the bottom of the hill, I decided there was no way this could be the right route, turned round and headed back up it (again in 1st)... Back at the main road I checked my maps again, turned round and went back down Polesteeple hill once again and then back up the other side of the valley via Lusted Hall Lane into Tatsfield. The rest of the return journey was easy going, joining Clarks Lane and then following the Limpsfield Road cycle path once again until it met with Ledgers Road (where I startled a third pheasant).

The total trip was 19.11 miles and took me 2h,3m to complete.. My average speed was a mere 9.3mph, but that includes browsing the shops and drinking some Pepsi and going the wrong way at every possible opportunity. I find it amusing that in my efforts to avoid big steep hills, I managed to climb the steep bits over and over again when I didn't need to. Maybe I should take the OS map with me next time. Max Altitude 323metres, min 194m. Leg muscles turned to pulp.

Today I went into South Croydon to pay a couple of cheques in. I knew the route this time so didn't have to deal with any wrong turns. I took a route through Farleigh and Selsdon which was mostly a blissful long gradual downhill for 4.5 miles straight into the centre of town. There's just one big uphill and one set of traffic light on the way there which show up as the low-speed bits on the graph below. After 4.5 miles I arrived at the bank. I was expecting the return journey to be a lot more difficult than it proved to be, the electric motor giving me plenty of help and keeping my speed above 15mph for most of the journey back home. I was surprised that I was in 7th for most of the way back. I do wish that you didn't have to stop pedaling to switch down gears though... You only need to switch down gears when you're going up a really steep bit and stopping pedaling means that you loose all of your speed and then have to switch down even more gears to compensate.

The 9 mile journey there and back took me a total of 36 mins which I find to be pretty amazing. I'm sure it would have taken me longer to do this with a car as there would be nowhere to park once I got there. Average speed 14.9mph, Max speed 38.5mph

I'm still loving this bike and not a hint of buyers remorse.

Hope all you found this writeup enjoyable to read. All the Google route maps and Speed/Altitude graphs were done with Nokia SportTrack.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Fecn, a very interesting and thorough account. Members may wish to know that this is exactly the same area in which I tested and reviewed the Agattu last November/December, but including the notorious Titsey Hill. As Fecn says, there's really little chance of avoiding the really steep stuff around here though, no matter how one tries.

And of course the extended testing of the new eZee battery over nearly 3500 miles in the first six months of this year was also on these routes, which I made the battery do almost entirely without pedalling, about as harsh as one can be with a battery.

On riding with hub gears Fecn, the technique with hills is anticipation which comes as one learns a particular bike. The idea is to judge the hill and preselect the right gear for it before the start of the hill, that way avoiding the drop in speed if the change is left until climbing. In the past before the derailleur arrived we were all well used to this of necessity. You'll appreciate the lack of need for constant cleaning, oiling and adjustment that derailleurs demand though.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
The total trip was 19.11 miles and took me 2h,3m to complete.. My average speed was a mere 9.3mph, but that includes browsing the shops and drinking some Pepsi and going the wrong way at every possible opportunity. I find it amusing that in my efforts to avoid big steep hills, I managed to climb the steep bits over and over again when I didn't need to. Maybe I should take the OS map with me next time. Max Altitude 323metres, min 194m. Leg muscles turned to pulp.

Today I went into South Croydon to pay a couple of cheques in. I knew the route this time so didn't have to deal with any wrong turns. I took a route through Farleigh and Selsdon which was mostly a blissful long gradual downhill for 4.5 miles straight into the centre of town. There's just one big uphill and one set of traffic light on the way there which show up as the low-speed bits on the graph below. After 4.5 miles I arrived at the bank. I was expecting the return journey to be a lot more difficult than it proved to be, the electric motor giving me plenty of help and keeping my speed above 15mph for most of the journey back home. I was surprised that I was in 7th for most of the way back. I do wish that you didn't have to stop pedaling to switch down gears though... You only need to switch down gears when you're going up a really steep bit and stopping pedaling means that you loose all of your speed and then have to switch down even more gears to compensate.

The 9 mile journey there and back took me a total of 36 mins which I find to be pretty amazing. I'm sure it would have taken me longer to do this with a car as there would be nowhere to park once I got there. Average speed 14.9mph, Max speed 38.5mph

I'm still loving this bike and not a hint of buyers remorse.

Hope all you found this writeup enjoyable to read. All the Google route maps and Speed/Altitude graphs were done with Nokia SportTrack.
Great info and great to read about a fellow Agattu owner enjoying themselves on their new toy:)

How did the battery fair?

BW
musicbooks

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Great info and great to read about a fellow Agattu owner enjoying themselves on their new toy:)

How did the battery fair?
On the Biggin Hill run I'd already done a mile the day before... so after 20.3 miles in total it was down to one light on the battery pack.. Hadn't started flashing the batt light on the handlebars though... Something like 20% remaining I guess which would make the effective range 24 miles.
I have the 18-tooth sprocket and used high-power all the way so was expecting less than the 30-mile quoted figure anyway.

On the 9-mile Croydon run, 3/5 lights left on the battery when I got back home.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Finally got around to a trip to Halfords with my 2-year old daughter today and bought a Hamax child seat and a helmet for her.

We took it out for a spin and ended up doing 8 miles with stops at the pub and Sainsburys. We hadn't planned on such a long trip and we didn't have our coats with us and by the time we were heading for home it was FREEZING. My daughter got my outer layer (shirt), and I turned off the power assist to make my legs work harder and warm myself up a bit.

Look at this awesome beast now :)

I think the child seat is supposed to be mounted lower than this, but I can't find anywhere else to put the D-Lock... anyone got any suggestions where I can stick it?

Are the tyres going to be OK with all that weight on the back?

What tyres would everyone recommend for forest paths and bridleways rather than on-road use ?

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I think the child seat is supposed to be mounted lower than this, but I can't find anywhere else to put the D-Lock... anyone got any suggestions where I can stick it?
If I was going to carry my child I would definitely get the seat as low as possible - pop the D lock in the pannier!

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
If I was going to carry my child I would definitely get the seat as low as possible - pop the D lock in the pannier!
I decided you were dead right about wanting the seat as low as possible (thanks) so I took the D-Lock off and moved the seat mount right down as far as it would go. There's about 0.5mm clearance left so I can get the battery on and off.

I didn't want the D-Lock to be something I could forget to bring along, so I spent a while trying different mounting positions. In the end, I realised that if I cut the outer plastic sheath on the D into two bits, I could move the aluminum mounting widget further down ...

That'll do nicely :)

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
You have probably thought about this - but don't get the seat too low because they bounce on the bumps and you don't want a huge clunk when you go over a large bump. I have a different design of seat - for some reason I was told that your type would not work - seems to work fine for you, though:

Last edited:

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I really appreciate that I got the "ladies version", it's much easier to get on and off a step-through with a childs seat installed.

With panniers and a childs seat, you have already spoiled the looks.

I have HUGE panniers and a Bobike seat - both in black and silver that match the Agattu's colours.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I discovered a free bit of software called Sport Track for my Nokia phone... It uses the GPS system to display the speed and distance traveled so I figure I'll just rig up something so I can clip the phone to the handlebars when I'm cycling and not bother with a dedicated speedo.
Here's the link for it:

Nokia Sports Tracker Beta