Got myself a Powacycle Salisbury LPX

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
very tempted to get one of these at this price on ebay :)

originally waiting for the infineum, but that's over a £1000

come on, convince me :)

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
very tempted to get one of these at this price on ebay :)

originally waiting for the infineum, but that's over a £1000

come on, convince me :)
Haven't posted my opinion on the reviews section of the Salisbury as I haven't owned it long enough yet. As for convincing someone to buy the same as model as me, well... not so sure that's possible as I feel there's only two reasons for buying a Salisbury and one of them has just been removed by Powacycle themselves.

- And that is price - at the start of this year they were just £499, by summer £599, and now at the year's end they've just risen to £699! (Plus delivery charge, making it £724).

So before last last week's price rise they were a fantastic bargain - even better secondhand as I obtained my 3 month old example on eBay for £360! A painless (moneywise), introduction to e-biking. Now the only place to get them cheaply is the retailer on eBay; but when he sells out of current stock they're bound to rise when he re-orders - but for me, newprice-wise they're too close to the £1k mark and open themselves up to comparison with more powerful competitors for just a few more ££'s. But that's just my opinion.

The second reason to buy them still holds though - the incredible range you can travel on one charge - in some instances they humiliate some of the very expensive competitors who struggle to get past 20 miles per charge. Powacycle are not kidding when they say expect between 27 to 37 miles per charge. I'm 18 stone, (252 pounds/114 kilograms), and easily achieve 27 miles per charge - simnply amazing and it's best feature!!!

Being a one-size-fits-all-bike means it's useless if you're tall like me at 6' 2". So, I've fitted a 400mm seat-post, bar ends to stretch me further - and it's still not enough; both longer cranks and handlebar stems are planned for the future. It needs both higher and lower gears, (I've just this week obtained a six speed freewheel 13-34 brand new, so that's next after I pluck up enough courage to cut the motor wires).

And at 22 kilogrames it's light enough to embarrass all the expensive competition and sit next to the very top models on weight alone, (excluding the Cytronex), who are barely better than the Salisbury's weight - if at all!

It's not fast, but it will climb most 'average' hills. With the new sprocket fitted I expect it to meet all my hill-climbing needs completely.

Would I but another one?

- Nah, those in the know say almost every other e-bike has more power than the Salisbury, but if they can't do more than 27 miles to the charge they've got a job on to persuade me to upgrade.

If e-bikes were animals the Cytronex would be a greyhound and the Salisbury would be a camel, so you can guess which would be faster over 27 miles.

Wrong! :)

- the Salisbury of course, as the Cytronex owner is pedalling without power after approx 20 miles.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
- And that is price - at the start of this year they were just £499, by summer £599, and now at the year's end they've just risen to £699!
Not quite Danny, you're quoting different models.

£499 was for the standard Salisbury with NiMh battery.

£599 was for the Salisbury LPX with Li-ion battery, so there's just the one price increase of £100, these price increases are in common with all the competition due to rising material costs and exchange rates.

That difference between the standard and LPX models was entirely the battery costs, the original battery prices were NiMh £99, Li-ion £199.

The Salisbury was extraordinarily low priced to start with and I still consider it very good value for a decent bike with a Hall effect motor. Most of the direct competition is not only dearer but is fitted with older type motor designs dating back years, e.g. eZee Liv and Powabyke X6.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Not quite Danny, you're quoting different models.

£499 was for the standard Salisbury with NiMh battery.

£599 was for the Salisbury LPX with Li-ion battery, so there's just the one price increase of £100, these price increases are in common with all the competition due to rising material costs and exchange rates.

That difference between the standard and LPX models was entirely the battery costs, the original battery prices were NiMh £99, Li-ion £199.

The Salisbury was extraordinarily low priced to start with and I still consider it very good value for a decent bike with a Hall effect motor. Most of the direct competition is not only dearer but is fitted with older type motor designs dating back years, e.g. eZee Liv and Powabyke X6.
Oh yes, quite right Flecc; I forgot the Salisbury originally sported the NiMh battery. So, I was a bit unfair there really; but I still hold that it can no longer be viewed as 'dirt-cheap'.

P.S. Meant to mention it's quite waterproof too. ie., whilst reading of numerous posts this last week or so about expensive bikes, (compared to the Salisbury), that have cut-out in the rain due to water ingress, I came home one day after being caught in a torrential downpour. I was gasping for air as the deluge slammed into me, soaking me to the skin, the tyres carving a bow wave of water along the road. I was completely unprepared, apart from my Gore Tex jacket which held up 100%. At one point I stopped momentarily to catch my breath and rest from blowing and spitting the rainwater lashing my face. However, the bike needed no rest and never missed a beat, (if an electric motor can be said to have a beat). I felt it might have suffered the same fate as the others as it was so much cheaper than the more expensive models who's owner's posted on here of being let down in the rain. It's reputation for a reliable motor is well-earned and comes with battle honours!