Got Road Raged - Advice needed.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I got cut up really badly tonight by what looked like a 12 year old pleb who was on, or at least had, his phone in his hand. I can't for the life of me understand why he bothered overtaking me as the car in front was stopped in a queue at traffic lights.

Anyway, my blood was up and I had a few not so polite words as I sailed past the boys offside and crawled up to the front of the queue. Lights changed and I had feeling I was going to get some grief. I counted the cars that passed me and realised this lad was hanging back.

Sure enough first left hander we got to he shot past me with about 6 inches to spare and immediately turned across me. I was already hanging on the brakes so just avoided hitting the rear nearside of his car. I would have stopped for further words as he'd pulled up just along the turning but as there turned up to be two of them I thought discretion was probably the better part of valour. I did let him know I'd clocked his VIN though and gave him a cheery wave and a smile.

Thing is, it's really shaken me up but I'm not at all sure whether or not it's worth reporting it to the plod?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sadly it's probably not worth reporting as little is likely to be done.

Probably best to content yourself with the thought that with his attitude, he will come badly unstuck before long and either have an accident or pick on the wrong person who will really make him suffer.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Plod won't do nothing. Your word against theirs and plod will take the soft option to avoid the paperwork. Yep, I'm so cynical these days.

If they were really young plod would be too scared about upsetting the 'little darlings'. "Got any witnesses?" They'll say. You'll say "No." They'll mutter "Thank god for that!" under their breath. Did I say I was really cycnical?

Bring back discipline. The government brought this on us and it's the people that have to put up with it while they stroll around with security no more than a spit away.

Did I say I was getting really, really cycnical? Well I am.

Vikki (where's that Birch tree).

Edit: I agree with Flecc.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
unless there is working CCTV in the area and/an injury RTC or witnesses willing to back you up there's little the cops can do due to lack of evidence.

That said, a young couple are alleged to have run down a pedestrian in the middle of Ipswich town last weekend after an argument and cops managed to bust both of them..

this is not the well reported case where three young ladies got run over - its a different one (yes there really are that many injury/fatal RTC's here in East anglia..) most youths what do drive like idiots round here certainly come unstuck eventually but sadly they take a lot of innocent people with them.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Someone I know had a similar problem on his motorbike, it was a woman driving and she had some sort of vendetta against bikes. He reported the dangerous driving and it turns out the police were very interested, she had been involved in an accident recently with a scooter and the scooter rider gave a similar account. He was able to back up the story and was asked to give a statement.
You may not get anywhere but that doesn't mean it's pointless.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks guys. Hate to say it, but I agree with all you've said. Had pretty much decided it would be a waste of time reporting it, but wanted another opinion first.

Alex, you're not wrong. I'm in EA as well and am staggered by the standards of driving.

Didn't see your post before I replied Mussels. There really are some warped individuals out there!

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
its a long shot but if reporting this individual offence to the cops is too much hassle (bear in mind there may be CCTV evidence) - it could even be worth passing the number plate and car description to crimestoppers. its not uncommon that bad drivers are wanted by the cops for something else - often something worse such as theft (fuel thefts, shoplifting and housr burglaries), other anti-social behaviour or even violence! you might not get the immediate satisfaction of them getting nicked for hassling you, but they might slip up months or even years later...

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I was in a line of traffic this evening on a long slight down hill doing about 20 mph and keeping up with the car in front. The car behind just could not keep in line and crept along side me and then started moving in to the nearside forcing me towards the kerb. This really annoyed me because he gained nothing in in terms of progress and put me in danger.

Some car drivers just seem compelled to pass a cyclist just because they are there regardless of what there is to gain.

Anyway with much effort on my part I managed to stop myself shouting at him, or worse, and backed off and dropped in behind. I'm back home now safe and calm so I think riding your way out of danger is the best policy rather than trying to prove a point to some idiot.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Go with it. The guys made some salient points and your report might just be the one needed to tip the balance on some other similar reprots made against these nuts.

I thought about it after posting and it struck me that this moron wasn't out to scare you - he was out to do you harm. He wouldn't have known you were riding on your brakes. Honestly - these people need discipline but nanny state Broken Britain always want to take the soft option.

Some people just don't think far enough ahead to think of the consequences of what they are doing and think it's a 'bit of a laugh'. They forget that they may feel indestructible but others aren't. They usually find out they aren't indestructible when they've wrapped themselves around an inconveniently placed immovable object.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Wise words tillson. I'm considering getting a can of spray paint so I can do as you suggest and surreptitiously let them know what I think once I'm long gone! :D

Vikki, a mate at work is very good friends with a cop. I think I might see if he'll run it past her and get her opinion. For all that we see the cops as not being interested I know that all the ones I've met socially are absolute sticklers for the law. To the point of dobbing in their own family for minor transgressions. I remember one bloke would even go and check everyone's tax discs at family get togethers. Popular lad as I recall! :D

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I work on the Kings X rail project. last night I drove around the back and noticed one of those white bikes on a corner at rear of station........it was strangly moving and really hit home. who ever though of this,very clever. it is an excellent way of communicating needless loss and extremely poignant.

I have seen them before in print and on a computer but experiencing one in the dark on a lonely street is an entirely differnt experience

Be careful out there!

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Some people just don't think far enough ahead to think of the consequences of what they are doing and think it's a 'bit of a laugh'. They forget that they may feel indestructible but others aren't. They usually find out they aren't indestructible when they've wrapped themselves around an inconveniently placed immovable object.
A someone whose still "young at heart" and has a lot of younger friends, (and wasn't excatly an angel in my own youth) - I think its actually much bleaker than that, especially in recent times. What Vikki says may have been true 10 years ago, but increasingly some lads actually do realise the consequences of things like this are people getting hurt (including themselves), or imprisonment or death. Its just that they simply don't care.

You could bring in laws tomorrow that Robert Mugabe would consider too draconian, and some of these youths still won't care. TBH the standard of driving in much more authoritarian Commonwealth nations (such as Malaysia, where my extended family live) is just as bad if not worse than in Britain, nor in countries with no functional government and vigilanté mobs like Liberia where a driver who runs down a pedestrian is often dragged out and beaten to death, or beaten up till he can't move and shoved back into his own car which is then torched with him still in it!

The only hope in Britain is to try and ensure existing laws are enforced to the point where idiots like this lose their licenses.

Maybe they will be forced onto a bicycle and learn how vulnerable they can be, but even then you'll probably find they nicked the bike they are riding....

Last edited:

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hi. That's pretty much why I said 'some'. I don't like to think of the idiot animals that are just out to hurt because it's fun for them because I just don't understand it - and I never will. Maybe if a couple of them got dragged out of their cars and.... you know the rest :eek:

Best regards.

Vikki.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
You are very vulnerable on a bike, and i would always avoid any kind of confrontation whilst on my bike with a driver still in their car,if the driver were out of the car ,i may say something.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Hi. That's pretty much why I said 'some'. I don't like to think of the idiot animals that are just out to hurt because it's fun for them because I just don't understand it - and I never will.
its not a case of "understanding" it, but being aware that they may be present at all times and being prepared to take appropriate evasive or defensive action (including maybe the use of things like the spray Footie has found). Self defence is morally acceptable and sometimes legal but you need to be prepared to carry it through and its so easy to go beyond what the "law" thinks is OK and/or be at risk of further reprisals, even scum have friends and family.

Maybe if a couple of them got dragged out of their cars and.... you know the rest :eek:
I'm well aware of people taking this sort of vigilanté action - not as often for bad driving (although it does happen!) but more for alleged crime such as burglaries or fraud, selling the "wrong sort of drugs" or even for relationship infidelity - This sort of "street justice" is very common at places like unlicensed raves and many estates.

it still doesn't stop them. even if (putting aside the fact they will get dobbed in and go HMP) the vigilantés kill the alleged offender, the offenders family turn it into a feud often lasting generations and affecting many other innocent people.

For all their faults the cops and courts still remain the best way to deal with things in a developed nation (which Britain just about still is...)

Last edited:

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Slight misunderstanding. I don't understand the mentality of some people, that's all I meant.

As to the second bit I was being tongue-in-cheek :) I don't advocate vigilanteism (but it doesn't surprise me when it happens).

Thankfully I spend 90% of my journey on cycleways.

Best regards.

Vikki.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I think it is still worth reporting a near miss incident in which the victim is the only witness, but only if you have managed to write down or photograph the registration number of the vehicle (even part of the number plus a good description of the make and model of the vehicle may enable the police to track it down).

With only one witness to the incident itself there will be no criminal proceedings for that, but if the police trace the driver it is quite likely that they will discover no insurance, out of date licence etc, and if there is an allegation of mobile phone use they may be able to check the call records against the time of the incident. Another thing they may find in their files is an outstanding arrest warrant for previous criminal activity.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
It is a tough one. I have reported 2 drivers in my life to no effect, but i'm aware it all counts for the reasons that folks say on this forum.

I did report a driver in a company vehicle once, we got a nice letter from the company and i like to think the driver got a dressing down.

The main thing is to accept these things happen and be content in your skill in avoiding these situations ( i think you handled it well). Dont let them get to you.

Have you read carlton reids account? ( google the name if you arent aware of him).