Government ushers in new era of green commutes with e-bike Cycle to Work scheme

Boff

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2019
I was looking to buy an Ebikes through cycle to work. I am due to test ride a couple in the £1.5-2.5k range tomorrow. Obviously, this change could save me a chunk of money. But the question is when will it become live rather than a proposal?

hoppyfrog

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2019
I've recently used the greencommuteinitiative.uk who don't have a £1k limit. My company dropped the cycle scheme with the limit, and now only use GCI
I'd budgeted 2k for one, but with GCI, my budget stayed the same, but I got a much more expensive bike.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I was looking to buy an Ebikes through cycle to work. I am due to test ride a couple in the £1.5-2.5k range tomorrow. Obviously, this change could save me a chunk of money. But the question is when will it become live rather than a proposal?
It already is live, and already was. It really just clarifies / confirms that employers without a consumer credit licence can use GCI like schemes to exceed the £1,000 threshold.

• Informative

Boff

Jun 10, 2019
It might be live for some. But the third party that administer all the benefits for my company have told me that the limit is going to stay at £1000 for the foreseeable future. To make matters worse, the guidance makes it clear that £1000 is the limit for the scheme without a FSA licence. So bike £999.99 ok £1001 if you can’t chip in the extra £1. So in my case a scheme whose declared aim was to boost Ebikes, has with achieved the opposite.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
It might be live for some. But the third party that administer all the benefits for my company have told me that the limit is going to stay at £1000 for the foreseeable future. To make matters worse, the guidance makes it clear that £1000 is the limit for the scheme without a FSA licence. So bike £999.99 ok £1001 if you can’t chip in the extra £1. So in my case a scheme whose declared aim was to boost Ebikes, has with achieved the opposite.
But that's a problem with the third party provider your company uses, nothing to do with the new guidance.

Reactions: Boff

Boff

Jun 10, 2019
Just thought I would give a quick update. The third party provider of benefits are still useless and have managed to loose my pension contributions, you can’t make it up. Obviously I can’t name them, but three letters and the used to sponsor united.

Anyway I bit the bullet and bought a bike last week. Actually even better I convinced Mrs Boff that her life would be improved if she had one as well. I can’t tell you how unconvinced she was that this was a good idea. I convinced her by saying if she hated it we could stick her’s on eBay. So we have his n hers Haibike Treking 1.0. We went out a couple of times last weekend and know she loves it and is planning routes. We are fortunate because we have more or less direct access to National Trust Park land. So it easy to use and build up confidence. the Llandegla trails are also about 5 miles away, that isn’t going to happen or if it does she is going to have to drive there herself

I do have one question though it is, We have a caravan what do we do for insurance.
I looked at cycle plan but , it stated that the bikes need to be kept inside if you use a caravan and that just can’t happen

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
:p

Boff

Jun 10, 2019
Tempting but the only downside I can see, is I think it would struggle on some of the fields we go on. Apart from that it looks perfect

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not a problem ;)

Boff

Jun 10, 2019
Might be interested if they do it in metallic colours. Plain white a bit cheap looking imho

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
We bought my partner's Woosh Petite second hand from a lady who because of an accident (non-cycling) could not longer use it. We met up in a car park & they opened a door at the back of their motorhome & out came the bike. I can't recall the model of motorhome but obviously some of them are designed with a cycle cupboard.

Boff

Jun 10, 2019
Yes, some Motorhomes have storage spaces, they are imaginatively called garages. We have a touring caravan they don’t have such a thing