Grandma sucking eggs

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
I don't want to appear smart or teach gran how to suck eggs,but yesterday i popped out to B&Q on my new Scott esub and took the battery off as a precaution against some ***** having it away.
A little later i heard a rattling sound and realised my battery was loose, lucky for me it didn't drop off and destroy itself.
When i bought the bike I was specifically warned to to make sure you "hear and feel" a click when replacing the Bosch battery back onto the bike. Something I obviously didn't do.
Lesson learned

Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So easy to do. I once had the unpleasant experience of a battery overtaking me down a bumpy hill, and crossing onto the other side of the road. Luckily there were no vehicles coming the other way so I only had to repair the split casing by heat welding the plastic and applying duct tape strips:

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
My worst fear, i have already fell off it, another issue like this would have took the shine off (literally), as it happens it all turned out well, i will probably become a bit OCD now and check , recheck etc etc etc etc

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I had one fall from the BH onto a chalk and flint bridleway. I must have been traveling close to 25mph plus, but fortunately there wasn't even a scratch mark on it. As you say, it is very easily done.

Another thing to add in relation to this, is never leave the key at home either. There will be an occasion at some stage or another that you will need it, even if it is just to clear a fault code.

Reactions: jdallan and flecc

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
yes a good point i keep my key with the bike lock santa brought me in the bike bag and take it with me when i lock the bike, btw the lock i bought (sorry santa bought) is a Hiplok Gold, very heavy and can be used as a belt when on the bike expensive but when your bike costs £2.5K £80 odd quid is nothing for peace of mind (bearing in mind if someone really wants to nick it they will)

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The key in my rack battery acts like an ignition key, it has to be there for the bike to go. So it travels with the various lock keys I have.