guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'll stick with my 40 year old Raleigh and it should be exempt although still plated just like classic car's , also if you've a none worker (moped's included ;) ) nows the time to get rid .

better idea would be to make helmets compulsory - no matter what age .
Would wearing a helmet have saved the walker's life?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
better idea would be to make helmets compulsory - no matter what age .
Drivers will be delighted with that measure, since if you want to kill cycling, that's the way to go about it.

They did that in Australia, resulting in that country having the lowest rate of cycling in the world.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've read compulsory helmets for car drivers and passengers would have a greater effect on reducing traffic deaths and serious injuries. (probably mainly because there are so many more cars). I can't find a good reference.

Reactions: mike killay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have seen an article by a by a mass producer of cycle helmets and in it they state that cycle helmets are not designed to protect a cyclist in car collisions at speed or from serious injuries, at least they are just protection from a slight bash on the ground should one topple off.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have seen an article by a by a mass producer of cycle helmets and in it they state that cycle helmets are not designed to protect a cyclist in car collisions at speed or from serious injuries, at least they are just protection from a slight bash on the ground should one topple off.
"Cycle helmets are only designed and tested to withstand an impact equivalent to an average weight rider travelling at a speed of 12 mph falling onto a stationary kerb shaped object from a height of 1 metre".

That's 15.5 mph pedelecs not covered then. Nor the huge numbers over the following weights:

"The ONS said the average man in England weighed 13.16 stone (83.6kg). The average woman in England weighed 11 stone (70kg).

OlderFolder

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2022
There is also the risk compensation aspect of helmet wearing to take into account. After reading this I started to think about times on my gravel bike when I've been a little out of my comfort zone and wondered if I would have taken the same risk if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. I also wonder if motorists pass a rider in full "race" cycle gear, including a helmet, closer, than they would a small child riding to school with a backpack on.

I now believe that the one change that would bring the most safety to the roads is to encourage cyclists to have handlebar and rear facing cameras mounted to every bike. Imagine how motor car users would then drive knowing that footage of dangerous acts would be submitted for scrutiny by the police.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm not too macho or vain - I wear a MTB jawguarded helmet, and it's saved my noggin twice since I started cycling again. Landed fully on my head the first time, had neck pain for days afterwards.

A ziptied dayglow reflective rain cover is ziptied to the back, acts as a flag when not covering the top of my helmet.

The camera is mounted at the front on the jawguard.

I won't cycle without it tbh.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"91% of people back plan for cyclist number plates and speed limits" :oops:

Then in the article:

"91 per cent of motorists"

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"91% of people back plan for cyclist number plates and speed limits" :oops:

Then in the article:

"91 per cent of motorists"

It's almost correct. The vast majority of adults are drivers, almost 51 million of our 68 millions have driving licences (over 41 m full, over 9 m provisional).

Once the under 18s (14.5 m), the very old and the too disabled are deducted from the balance of 17 millions, we are largely only left with drivers.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Reactions: guerney

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The issue of compulsory insurance is a difficult one.

If as a cyclist you cause and accident, you could be sued for damages caused. And if I did cause an accident, and thus could be sued, I pay for liability insurance since I dont want to loose my house.

But should it be compulsory ?

And if so, and since as a cyclist, you can be injured by the pedestrians who dont look where they are going (very very very common these days, think mobile phones) should pedestrians need insurance as well ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
last time i looked for insurance for my bike with a rrp of 6k it was £45 a month.

so if that's still the case no one would buy a 10k ebike and just get a 70 mph scooter :p

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
last time i looked for insurance for my bike with a rrp of 6k it was £45 a month.
Well expensive to replace eBikes do cost a lot to insure.

My circa 4.5k to replace now eBike cost me around £80 per year to insure for theft and damages and includes public liability, but I dont know what percentage of the premium is solely down to the liabilty insurance.