Greenway Cross City

D

Deleted member 4366

A 36v Max Drive maxes out at 100rpm.
Nice review here, but don't forget that the guy doing the review looks pretty fit and not very heavy.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he did work hard to hit 28mph whereas fordulike only has to twist his throttle on his BBS02.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
I think my next mod needs to be a bigger chainring as others have already done on here. It seems a 44t ring is recommended so would this be suitable from CRC or could someone provide a link for one please..?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/fsa-mtb-pro-alloy-9-speed-chainring/rp-prod151581

Also I'd like to keep a chain guard so which of these is likely to fit best..?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/fsa-plastic-chain-guard/rp-prod152139

Or maybe..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/fsa-alloy-bash-ring-without-logo/rp-prod152861

Thanks
Phil.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Check out amazon, they have 44t and 48t 104 pcd £18 to £45 depending how flush you are at the time, remove the chain guard and fit the bigger chain ring in place of it , it lines up better for the top speed, u can also fit front mech for best of both worlds

Reactions: PhilYerBoots

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Check out amazon, they have 44t and 48t 104 pcd £18 to £45 depending how flush you are at the time, remove the chain guard and fit the bigger chain ring in place of it , it lines up better for the top speed, u can also fit front mech for best of both worlds
Thanks Ultrafunkula, I'll have a browse on there later.
I was looking at the cheaper end of the scale, hence the links to the CRC items above.
Do you find in practice that you still use the original 38t ring or just the 48t one you fitted..?
Can a chain guard still be fitted with a 2 ring setup on these bikes..?
Sorry but I've never messed with gears and chainrings before..o_O

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I paid 9.98€ for my Trutativ 42 tooth (bike discount) and 8.95 for the Shimano 32 tooth (local sports store), both are steel versions. The expensive bit was the precialps 104 BCD BBS0x spider but it did come in an economy stamped envelope because it is so small and light...

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
How is motor temperature Redcup with your battery pack?
After my commute today I felt motor and battery. Battery was completely cool. Motor felt cool to me, but I felt what may have been a slight increase in temperature at the bottom of the plastic casing (bear in mind there is a small air gap between the actual motor and the plastic outer casing).
This was pedalling furiously at assist level 5 up hill for the last 2 minutes or so of the ride. 20amp limit, 80% keep current.

No concerns from me at all with either battery or motor from a heat perspective.

Reactions: Ultrafunkula

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
I took buddy's bike out for a spin yesterday. Pulled up at a (sudden) set of traffic lights at the bottom of a hill - before gearing down from 9th. While waiting I changed into 1st at the lever, lifted the back wheel by the seat post and put the bike briefly into 'walk' to effect the change, stop & wheel down, then back into assist 2 - and smoothly off down the road when green came along. Anyone else use this technique?
By the way, 22a @ 85% keep current and no sign of any concerning heat despite extended use of assist 5, long and short hills - some very steep - and my bulky 100kg. Using an 18ah 30q set up, 23 tough miles and 50% indicated capacity remaining. After approx 15 miles the meter would temporarily drop to 2 bars at the latter end of long hills but with no sense of pull diminishing. The MaxDrive with this battery combination is superb.

Reactions: Ultrafunkula

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
That Greenway now seems a prime candidate for a rear wheel IGH, Alfine, Nexus, Sturmey Archer etc. No more faffing around with this wheel in the air thing, walk mode and all. Click, click select your gear that`s it, no more cassette, chain line worries to boot

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
By the way, 22a @ 85% keep current and no sign of any concerning heat despite extended use of assist 5, long and short hills - some very steep - and my bulky 100kg. Using an 18ah 30q set up, 23 tough miles and 50% indicated capacity remaining. After approx 15 miles the meter would temporarily drop to 2 bars at the latter end of long hills but with no sense of pull diminishing. The MaxDrive with this battery combination is superb.
30Q's are 15a per cell rated and good for it, at 10a are at approx. 35/39oC and at 20a reach 75/80oC and candle handle the higher rate in pulses. At 22a draw your battery is on tick over and running coolly, depending on your parallel configuration each battery in parallel is only being asked for 4.4a as 5P, 5.5a as 4P or 7.3a as 3P well within their capability running pretty much stress free, if you had 29E's they would be running quite warm and a little stressed esp in 3P and 4P.
There's an advantage of running higher spec cells, cooler running, less stress, plenty of punch in reserve for several hrs, minimal sag and better protection for IR. It might be over kill but long term should last 5 or 6 years. My 29E's are a bit shagged having been run at 20/22+amps though can still get 20/25 mile range half their original.

Last edited:

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Some great info on updates to the bikes , good to see we are all enjoying this budget bike,I have to speak with Jimmy at bga, if I use the switch on the battery to turn battery off then back on, there is no life at all as if I have dead battery, however when I plug charger in it must change a diode or something in the BMS and all is then good, I can switch bike on and off as normal with the bike control on handlebars,

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
I hate spellcheck and autocorrect to some word alien to the conversation , mind you the problem I am having with the battery I think the word may be correct , Dave.

Reactions: D8ve

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Having a tinker around when I swapped the battery on my greenway today, I took it upon myself to have a delve into the downtube with a hook as the seemed to be wires in there, low and behold there is a pair of wires in there which I believe to be for Ebrakes with connectors on, I'll be having another search to see if there is a throttle cable when I get a little more time, u got to love Bafang for the generic thinking .

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Nice work....keep rooting!
Still no issues on buddy's bike @22a - he's been off road too and putting it under sustained duress it seems. Absolutely no heat concerns at all.

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Anyone hazard a good guess as to what would be the fattest tyres that this bike would handle?
Also, some folk say that 700c and 650b are virtually interchangeable - anyone here speak from experience?

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
I might be being a bit paranoid but I'm sure I've detected a new noise over and above the usual whisper quiet whirring motor sound.
At first I thought lube the drive chain but that made no difference.
Its more noticeable at lower speeds on assist 1 when power first kicks in and is a constant low hum that I've never noticed before. The hum changes note in conjunction with cadence and the speed the motor is spinning at presumably.
I've isolated it to the motor as it goes away when you change to no assist on the lcd and when you stop pedalling.
Anybody else heard anything like this from their Greenways or got any idea what it might be..?

Last edited:

Recy

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2016
manchester
Buddy has not noticed any of those effects - however only has around 400 miles on the clock. Although at 100kg + & 22amps @ assist 5 he has 'pushed it' at times through the hillsides so it has been under stress, but not continuous.

Related Articles

Advertisers