Greetings

Myfanwy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 22, 2013
Hi, Myfanwy here from Kerry, Ireland, this is my first time using a forum. I have a Schwinn Tailwind that I bought 18 months ago, I wonder if any:confused:body can help me with a problem. The bike fell over last week and since then the on/off switch doesn't work and I am powerless! It's a heavy bike to cycle without assistance, and the nearest ebike repair shop is 200 miles away. Any suggestions? Best wishes to all.

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Hi Myfanwy

There will be experts along soon to fully answer you ,is your on/off switch on the handlebars or the battery?

Welcome to the forum

Alan

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi, Myfanwy here from Kerry, Ireland, this is my first time using a forum. I have a Schwinn Tailwind that I bought 18 months ago, I wonder if any:confused:body can help me with a problem. The bike fell over last week and since then the on/off switch doesn't work and I am powerless! It's a heavy bike to cycle without assistance, and the nearest ebike repair shop is 200 miles away. Any suggestions? Best wishes to all.
Hi Myfanwy,

Welcome to the forum.

Check your brake levers to see if they have been bent. Make sure they return all the way into the housing otherwise the electric brake switch may be still operating and killing the power from the controller .

Myfanwy

Feb 22, 2013
Hi Myfanwy

There will be experts along soon to fully answer you ,is your on/off switch on the handlebars or the battery?

Welcome to the forum

Alan
Hi Alan, the switch is on the handlebar, it has one button for on/off and another to set the assistance level. When the bike fell over, the brake lever outside it got slightly bent, so I think that's where the impact has caused trouble. Thanks for your welcome, Myfanwy

Myfanwy

Feb 22, 2013
Hi , thanks for your reply. The brake lever is slightly bent, I will have a check on it. I didn't like to bend it back in case it broke off!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The original agents for the Schwinn e-bikes in the UK were a bicycle shop in Yorkshire run by an enthusiastic young couple, so they may be able to help in getting a new switch assembly:

Hildethorpe Bicycles
24-26 Hilderthorpe Road
Bridlington
North Humberside
YO15 3BG

Phone: 01262 400 141

They don't appear to have any web presence or email address.

Unfortunately since then they've mostly be sold online by such as Amazon, meaning great difficulty in getting support. Schwinn USA have no listing of any UK outlet.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Before you try straightening the brake lever, check out d8veh's words of wisdom:

Once you push aluminium beyond it's elastic limit, it work-hardens as it moves, which resists further movement. If you then try and move it further, it snaps. To be safe, you need lots of heat; Bend a bit (use jack-screws); re-heat to stress relieve, then bend a bit more; repeat until you get to where you want. I've never used this technique on forks before, but it works on normal aluminium tube.

And remember you're dealing with cast alloy, rather than forged tube, so it'll be more brittle.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
so it'll be more brittle.
Yep...

But if you accept the fact that the odds are against you and it may well break.. then that will save any pain when it does..

However its not working as it is, so nothing to loose

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
The original agents for the Schwinn e-bikes in the UK were a bicycle shop in Yorkshire run by an enthusiastic young couple, so they may be able to help in getting a new switch assembly:

Hildethorpe Bicycles
24-26 Hilderthorpe Road
Bridlington
North Humberside
YO15 3BG

Phone: 01262 400 141

They don't appear to have any web presence or email address.

Unfortunately since then they've mostly be sold online by such as Amazon, meaning great difficulty in getting support. Schwinn USA have no listing of any UK outlet.
Chain Reaction based over the water still sell them, they maybe can source spare parts :

Schwinn Tailwind Electric Bike | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Myfanwy

Feb 22, 2013
I couldn't find anyone here in Ireland who dealt with Schwinn, I bought the bike privately. I heard Reece Cycles were agents, they didn't reply to my email though. Has anyone experience of taking the switch apart?

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Sorry to hear about your bike,you've come to the right place for help,by the time your battery is fully charged i guarantee you that your bike will be up and running.

Mountainsport..

Myfanwy

Feb 22, 2013
Sorry to hear about your bike,you've come to the right place for help,by the time your battery is fully charged i guarantee you that your bike will be up and running.

Mountainsport..
Waah! If only! I just tried the old fashioned remedy-a good clean and polish, even that didn't work. If I ever get it sorted, I will remove the side stand.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I wonder if the brake cut-out is now operating all the time.

Difficult to advise online, but Mafanwy may be able to see a thin electric cable going into the (bent) brake lever housing.

Try disconnecting it.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Thinking 'out of the box' (I hate that expression so thought I would annoy you all...) ... Bike fell over... What else could have been affected?

Myfanwy

Feb 22, 2013
I don't think so Rob, the sensor is on the right hand lever (front brake), and the bike fell to the left. Is that what you mean, to disconnect the sensor?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I don't think so Rob, the sensor is on the right hand lever (front brake), and the bike fell to the left. Is that what you mean, to disconnect the sensor?
Some bikes have a cut-out on both levers.

If it's easy to do, you could still try disconnecting the one that is fitted - they are known for acting up.

Myfanwy

Feb 22, 2013
Yes, that was the first thing I did, tried it again and again. I'll try disconnecting the brake tomorrow.