Grrrr

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I will tell you all one thing for nothing.....and I am sure we will all be agreed on this......

I would rather be watching excessive media coverage of the hype surrounding the birth of the Royal baby than the truly horrific scenes assailing us today from the media at the site of the disastrous horrific rail crash near Santiago de Compostela.......

God rest them all

Lynda :(

D

Deleted member 4366

It was bad enough having TV programmes and News spoilt by it. Now we've got 9 pages of it here!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
It was bad enough having TV programmes and News spoilt by it. Now we've got 9 pages of it here!
Steady, Dave, try not to show too much of your caring sympathetic side all at once.......:rolleyes:

and if you find this thread too irritating, there is a simple remedy......:p

Lynda :)

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Very well summed up Mike, I hate the propaganda and faking that goes on.

Ever noticed how on royal parades through the streets the crowd all seem to have identical little union jacks to wave as the queen or whoever it is passes? Of course teams of people are sent along the route to hand out huge numbers of these. This is a relatively recent development in public behaviour shaping, aka social engineering, and I find it objectionable.
Recent? Nah; in primary school, around 1962, Lizzie visited up the road to open an engineering works or something. We (entire school) trooped out to line the road all waving our little Union Flags like there was no tomorrow. Even then, many of us were totally ambivalent about it, but it was a time off and out in the sunshine (actually, it was a grey day), but whatever.
So, this type of event management was going on long before my day, and yours too.
Oh, we had a good couple of weeks notice of the event, too. And this is the best bit - we made our own flags - one thing about the Union Flag; it's so simple yet absorbing enough for an eight year old to crayon or watercolour out on a sheet.
In short, it's nowt new and the cynical manipulation that it now seems was honestly held opinion and belief on the part of many.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's not the same thing at all Dave. I'm speaking of squads handing out identical manufactured flags shortly before the procession passes. There's no personal involvement in that, it is just cynical manipulation of bystanders, taking advantage of the fact that most people tend to follow each other and dislike standing out as being different.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Yes, and the difference between that and telling kids to make flags and go out to wave at the Queen would be? You can imagine the fuss there would have been then if anyone had said no.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I hate the propaganda and faking that goes on.

There is far more propaganda, fakery and dishonest goings on at the House of Commons than at the House of Windsor. If i had to choose which one to abolish it certainly would not be The House of Windsor.

Last edited:

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
As it happens...I predicted the baby would be called George, but I was hoping for Arthur, we have not had a King Arthur for a while...........

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
As it happens...I predicted the baby would be called George, but I was hoping for Arthur, we have not had a King Arthur for a while...........
I don't think we have yet to have a Arthur except for the legend based on folklore. I agree there have been to many Georges, and Arthur would be a interesting name for a future King

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, and the difference between that and telling kids to make flags and go out to wave at the Queen would be? You can imagine the fuss there would have been then if anyone had said no.
We've manipulated children for ages, teaching them religion for example. There is a very clear difference between the past processions where some individual flags were waved, mainly by children as you've described, and the official mass issuing of the flag to all present which is a very recent and objectionable phenomenon.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My sympathies Dave, it's happened to me a few times. Things have been better since the new forum software incorporates text recovery memory, wasn't that button available for you?

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
My sympathies Dave, it's happened to me a few times. Things have been better since the new forum software incorporates text recovery memory, wasn't that button available for you?
Couldn't see it - when it's happened before I was able to skip back on Firefox and retrieve it, but not with Chrome.

(edit)
This one disappeared too; but the auto-restore button was there, this time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This one disappeared too; but the auto-restore button was there, this time.
That's a relief, I switched to Chrome from Firefox recently but hadn't had to use the text recovery. Good to hear it still appears.

An aside, I think Mozilla must be losing Firefox users in droves now, especially since the upgrade to version 15.

Advertisers