GSM Are the later ones better?

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
I have one of the very first batch, Though I have only recently started using it. I have most of the problems reported by others. I saw a post by Trex saying that the version fitted in the Woosh Bali is successful. Does anybody agree, or would I be better off giving up on it & getting a BBS 01 or 02?

Steve

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You could try running it with an external controller if that is possible. Have you opened it to add grease on the drive side? Makes it silent.

I am more than happy with my external controller version.

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
I like to know the size of just the motor.Its more like the bbs0 or the bbs02?Looks bigger than the bbs01.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Same size.
Like AKW said, the GSM needs grease. Woosh re-grease them before sending out.
I like the GSM that uses external controller better.
You can choose exactly the controller that suits your riding.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
BBS01 and 02 are same size.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
maybe. I can never tell without looking at the label.

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
I ask this because i supose than the small bbs01 motor gets hot if i use it in high weather,like 32 or 34 c degrees.I like the external controller option,but if the gsm motor is small like the bbs01,probably its not good for use in summer in barcelona.

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
Look at the fotos of bbs01 and bbs02,you can see the smaller motor case(just in the motor side,not at controller and motor pack).

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the BBS02 is excellent - but if you have tried to replace the controller in the BBS01/BBS02 (it's practically impossible to repair these internal controllers), you'll come to take the benefit of external controller much more seriously. I wouldn't worry about outside ambient temperature. The battery is much more exposed to temperature than motors. Just make sure it's well greased.

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
Whell,if someone post some fotos of a gsm dissasembled,im really happy,thanks.And sorry for my english.

D

Deleted member 4366

the BBS02 is excellent - but if you have tried to replace the controller in the BBS01/BBS02 (it's practically impossible to repair these internal controllers), you'll come to take the benefit of external controller much more seriously. I wouldn't worry about outside ambient temperature. The battery is much more exposed to temperature than motors. Just make sure it's well greased.
Are you serious Trex? Three screws and off with the old one, on with new. It has to be the easiest controller in the world to change.

There's nothing to stop you using an external controller on a BBSxx motor. It has standard phase and hall connectors inside. You can easily hoik out the old controller and run a standard 9 conductor motor wire to an external one.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
wooshbikes.co.uk/manuals/GSM-Greasing.pdf

The motor works in +32°C heat, the rider stops working at about 38°C long before anything can go wrong with the motor! :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I had two GSM with internal controller (early model) both overheated first one eventually failed pas and throttle failed also I had water ingress, this was replaced under warranty/manufacturer fault but after 1 ride and 70 odd miles I sent it back for a refund as it again overheated and pas was intermittent probably due to thermal cut out but this was of no use to me on a long ride. I would again consider GSM but motor only with motor only with external controller as there will be less of a overheating issue.
Some of my old pics;

DSCF0296.JPG DSCF0302.JPG DSCF0308.JPG DSCF0309.JPG DSCF0311.JPG DSCF0315.JPG

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Are you serious Trex? Three screws and off with the old one, on with new. It has to be the easiest controller in the world to change.

There's nothing to stop you using an external controller on a BBSxx motor. It has standard phase and hall connectors inside. You can easily hoik out the old controller and run a standard 9 conductor motor wire to an external one.
BBS01/02 controller costs about £75-£90. You still have to take the motor out, then there is the disassembly. I reckon it'll take at least 1 hour. Contrast that with replacing the HL controller integrated to the base of downtube batteries. The cost is about £35 and the time about 20 minutes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BBS controller takes about 10 -15mins to swap over, you can do it in situ on the bike easier if bike is upside down.

Reactions: trex
D

Deleted member 4366

BBS01/02 controller costs about £75-£90. You still have to take the motor out, then there is the disassembly. I reckon it'll take at least 1 hour.
Took me about 5 minutes to do on mine. You've obviously never done it. There's no reason to take the motor out. The controller is simply screwed on the side. You must be getting mixed up with the GSM with the internal controller.

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks,guys.Im not sure about the motor size.By the way,anyone know the weight of the motor only?without crank arms or pedals,bare motor only.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was too scared to weigh it :D I don't think it weighs 3 kg maybe 2.8 - 2.9 kg.

I will be taking mine to bits soon the motor side needs looking at for water tightness before the rainy season sets in. I am going to mount a set of Shimano STEPS cranks and a chainring spider with a 44t chainring as well. I'll try and take some photos.