Gsm crank kit from Woosh and Charge Cooker conversion

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The kit is a 36v gsm kit from woosh bikes. Excellent service as usual :)

The battery a 36v dolphin style 12.5ah. But in long run I will build my own pack to go in a rucksack.

The bike was very, very carefully chosen. I wanted a steel frame with a high bb geometry and 29er wheels. I eventually decided on a Charge Cooker 29er 2013 (later models are alloy). 2nd hand but hardly ridden ( even tyres still had nibbles forn factory in outer edges). Bought from a local, well off roadie who failed to get into mtb and only ridden on roads.. Bargain at 240. If money no object then a genesis latitude alfine 8 conversion would've better. The titanium version more so. Still back to reality !

I got the lbs to remove the cranks/bb for 7.50

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

Fitting took some minor DIY as ,o n the crank side the chairing fouled the frame. Fixed by adding an extra washer between bb shell and chainring

Also one of. my Allen bolts in Kit was wrong size (either picked in error or poorly mamanufactured)

Trip to the shed resolved this one !

Finally two nuts (As washers) required on the non crank side.

This was to the unit sitting nice and central without the ring fouling

Downside is only one lock nut can go on. (Some loctite would probably help but I'll just keep a close eye for now)

The rest was very easy indeed. Just attach the LCD , throttle and power cables.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
First ride - brilliant ! More torque and faster than I'd expected. 9 pas levels which makes a huge difference .

23mph was possible on flat. Crazy with big knobby tyres !

That's not what I built it for though , I want to climb south downs trails and extend my range. True test at the weekend

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Finally, the bike didn't work this morning - error code 2e. :(. All I did was charge battery. Bike kept inside.

It is possible I accidentally changed it to 24v when playing with settings. I'll check this evening. Really hoping that's it as I see zero other reason for the failure.

I have 2 x 36v batteries and neither worked. Both did work on my bpm hub driven 36v hybrid. Which I then used to get to work.

Let's see

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I finally found the issue !

Taken hours but 90*% sure a dodgy connection in power cable.

Works in kitchen , test tomorrow

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Very odd fault. Pas or throttle on startup is fine but either after a few hundred metres or after a stop and start the error occours

Turn off and on again. All fine. Briefly.

Andy @woosh has been fantastic. They will replace the whole kit and test my one.

Cannot say fairer than that

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
when you get the new kit, swap out only the LCD first. If that does not work, then swap out the motor next.

Reactions: KirstinS

FantaisyRat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2015
After 2 months of use, are you happy with your kit ? Or other problem occurs ?
would you recommend it ?

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hope you get it sorted , but I would like to know the cooker frame size and bike weight, and how much it weighs in total inc battery after convertion. ps and battery ah

I am tinkering with the idea of a doner bike +a kit to see weight saving over ready built ebike

thank you

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
After 2 months of use, are you happy with your kit ? Or other problem occurs ?
would you recommend it ?
Hi, I've had no other issues with the bike or kit at all. I never heard back from woosh as to what the issue with first kit was. I think I just got a duffer. No probs as quickly sorted.

There is more about people's experience inc my own on another thread called "gsm vs bbsxx "

Very happy with torque and speed. The battery life suffers badly if you derestrict it. But I bought for hill climbing not speed and it is fantastic that

Reactions: FantaisyRat

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
hope you get it sorted , but I would like to know the cooker frame size and bike weight, and how much it weighs in total inc battery after convertion. ps and battery ah

I am tinkering with the idea of a doner bike +a kit to see weight saving over ready built ebike

thank you
Sorted ages ago but mostly all documented on another thread called gsm vs bbsx

I am very happy with my doner bike choice , 29er with a high bb means loads of clearance after conversion. I like the bike geometry and it takes the kit nicely

My bike is 17.5 inch and I'm 5ft 9. I do like my bikes a little big though. Charge have a recommended scale on their website

Weight I don't know and have no way to measure.

However, my cooker is , deliberately, the 2013 which is Tange steel. 2014 on are aluminum. I just like steel frames with thin tubes, always have. It won't be as light is what I'm saying

Honestly weight is far less of an issue with ebikes.

I've taken my bike out loaded with 6kg of battery for a really long ride

And also with a 1.2kg Lipo battery. The difference in handling was difficult to notice

Shaving a few grams here and there doesn't make as much sense as it undoutably does for unpowered.