GSM / S12S / LCD3 / 36V - error code 03-INFO

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
You only need to test that the controller still works with an external PAS.
Put the PAS disc on a pen and use the pen to rotate the disc in front of the sensor head.
Cool tip - I was just about to take crank arms off and make a mess - you must have done this before!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
PAS mode works with an external sensor - or at least the motor comes on when twiddling the PAS magnet ring around in front of the sensor.

I'm confused - it was also pulsing on the same signal line, exactly the same as the internal PAS.

Are there any other diagnostic ideas that might be worth trying?

It seems a waste to fit an external PAS of there is an internal one which is producing pulses.

Thanks

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm confused - it was also pulsing on the same signal line, exactly the same as the internal PAS.
you need to make sure that only 3 wires are connected to the internal PAS: ground, 5V and only one Hall wire, in this case, yellow. The other Hall output (blue) should be left unconnected and insulated.
Check also when spinning the cranks in reverse (anticlockwise). If it starts the motor, then one of the registers on the S12 has a wrong value.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Wiring is as you say, with 4th wire being unused and insulated.

Cranks backwards does not work either - pedalling forward or backwards fails to initiate PAS using internal sensor.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am out of suggestions :(
Any one has a better idea beside using an external PAS?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lcd3 is only KT compatible, parent company is szktdz.com. Most probable the moon pas isn't recognised for some reason., may be there is a small pcb for the pas in the motor ? If you have tried all C1 options then you will have to use an external pas.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Phil, was it working before with the same controller?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Mine worked OK with the KT controller but it also worked when pedalling backward and it had a lot of run on when you stopped pedaling. I have forgotten the setting it worked best on because I fried it pretty quickly by plugging it into the speed sensor plug by mistake... :oops:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My pas with lishui controller works both ways I have to remember not back pedal even an eighth of a turn.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Hi all,
Thanks for all the help.
It sounds like I'll have to use the external PAS then - not to worry.
Just to clarify, I have not been able to get GSM internal PAS to work at all with my controller (using all values of C1 from 5 magnet up to 12 magnet). I was able to use an external PAS.
Thanks again for all the helpful feedback and for your input. I now need to remind myself of how to fit an external PAS :)
Cheers all,
Phil

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a specific setting for the type of PAS sensor on a KT controller. It's C1. Yours is set to 03, but for a 12 magnet PAS it should be 06 or 07. I don't understand why you didn't set it correctly. can you explain? If you don't have 12 magnets, you should try all the other settings - both forward and reverse.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
IIRC there are many more magnets in the GSM I think it may be the same PAS as the bafang BBS01.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
There's a specific setting for the type of PAS sensor on a KT controller. It's C1. Yours is set to 03, but for a 12 magnet PAS it should be 06 or 07. I don't understand why you didn't set it correctly. can you explain? If you don't have 12 magnets, you should try all the other settings - both forward and reverse.
Hi d8veh.

I've got an older version of the controller (S12S) & LCD3 which only has options up to C12 (I think newer versions go up to C14).

In the version of the manual that I have, it states the following values for C1
00 - 5 magnet sensor
01 - 8 magnet sensor
02 - 10 magnet sensor
03 - 12 magnet sensor

Sounds like my version of the manual may be suspect - can you send me a link to the newer version please?

Based on this I'll do some more testing at the weekend with all values of C1 from 00 to 07, pedalling both forwards and reverse.

Thanks again for the input - I would like to avoid using an external PAS if I can - less to get knocked (this is all buried in the bowels of a velomobile - an Alligt Alleweder A4).
Cheers

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Hi all
Thanks to d8veh for the pointer. I found a newer version of the manual for the KT-LCD3, and tried all the settings for C1 thus had.

Settings 5, 6 & 7 all work, with 6 being the best. According to the newer manual, this therefore means that the PAS gives 'reverse' pulses.

So I now have PAS working with the internal PAS - thanks to all for the help.

Cheers all

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that's good news!

So C1 = 6

Phil, can you post your LCD3 settings here for reference?

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
My settings for reference
S12S with filed shunt bringing max current to approx 16A
GSM crank drive
KT-LCD3

P1 160
P2 1
P3 1
P4 0
P5 12
C1 06
C2 0
C3 1
C4 0
C5 08
C6 1
C7 1
C8 0
C9 0
C10 n
C11 0
C12 4

D

Deleted member 4366

We love happy endings - even better when they can help other people.