GT Karakorum 29er conversion

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Hi all,
Can i have some suggestions please for appropriate conversions for a GT karakorum 29er.

Looking to use it two or three times weekly commute 16 miles each way on towpath, road and light trail and for weekend fun.

I like the new square bottle battery style. Would prefer not to use a rear rack battery.

Would prefer to buy from UK supplier for local support when fitting but will import and DIY if needed.

Thank you

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'd fit 18A BBS01 and 10.5AH bottle battery.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit
You'd lose the front derailleur but gain in simplicity and weight balance.
I would also leave the hydraulic brakes alone and not bother with fitting the brake sensors.

D

Deleted member 4366

The link for the thumb throttle links to a spoke wrench :(
It's not a link to a thumb-throttle. The thumb-throttle is included with the battery. The BMSBattery web page descriptions bear no relation to what's on them.

The spoke key costs 60 pence. Bike shops don't sell spoke keys that fit ebike wheels. Try and find one in the UK when you get a loose spoke!. The Ebay ones are useless - too soft. Anybody that buys a motor-wheel from BMSB should get the spoke key while they can.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Ok great. Thanks for the help. Going to go for the CST.
Can i just check that the 28" rim option will as it's currently 29". I'm guessing they're the same thing?

270rpm is ok for this size wheel?

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. 270 rpm will be fine because it's a high-torque motor. It will give reasonable assistance right up to 25 mph, whilst giving good torque for hill-climbing.

According to this, the diameter is correct, but I'm not sure of the width. I have at the back of my mind 19mm, which is OK up to about 2.1".