Gtech. Sorry.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
So I’ve had one for three and half years. I’ve loved it, still do. But it’s dying. The battery has fell off at various times due to pot holes and has a lot of glue holding it together. The connections are loose and make me slip despite the carbon chain. The brakes are a mess too.

I love this bike though. We’ve done thousands of miles.

I’m wondering if I buy one off shpock or whatever I can use the battery and have two bikes. But the motor feels sluggish. Probably power output. But I’m thinking a new bike. I’ve looked at @Woosh bikes and I like their equivalents but I worry about the specs. I’m 6 4 and must be 100kg so therefore the big bear is my option. It’s too heavy. The juicy one is good but too pricey.

There is new one. A bike from Belgium called the cowboy. It seems a direct rip off of the gtech but with a kind of go cycle upgrade. It looks slick but at 1800 it’s too much.

I’m torn. Just buy a new battery, that costs 300! Or buy a new bike. I deserve a new bike.

My question is can someone say whooshes big bear is the way forward or is there a better carbon chain version of the gtech? I want lightness but end of the day I also want the bike as a tool.

A bike for around a grand, reaching to 1200 for perfect fit.

Stick with the gtech or jump into something else?

Any comments appreciated.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Why do you want light
Are you carrying the bike a lot ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fingers, you love the G-Tech and particularly its light weight and simple single gear setup on your daily commute into the centre.

So why not buy the same again for another three and a half years or so? By then you'll be heading for 68, at or very close to retirement with no further need to daily commute, and as it's a runner you can still sell the present one for something towards the new one.

Reactions: Fingers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for lightweight bike, I converted a Decathlon's Rockrider XC50, 12.5kg with the 3.6kg 48V TSDZ2.

The result is a lightweight bike with excellent characteristics: ROCKSHOX JUDY AIR fork, hydraulic brakes, 11-speed SRAM PG1103 cassette with 11 cogs: 11, 13, 15 ,17, 19, 22, 25, 28, 32, 36, 42 teeth and 100NM motor.
The customer paid £600 for his donor bike. the 48V TSDZ2 costs him £365. It's difficult to find a better commuter bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Plus a battery?
you can select a battery depending to the range you want. A minimum 48V 7AH pack (336WH with Samsung 18650-35E cells, 13S2P 1.5kgs) would do about 25-30 miles for the TSDZ2, a 48V 10.5AH in a small frog battery weighs 2kgs will do about 35 miles on a full charge.
Those Decathlon bikes with the 11-speed SRAM NX derailleur are competent, they let you have as much as 90-95NM at the rear wheel for hill climbing, much better than any of the road legal bikes you can buy in the shop.

Reactions: boyabouttown