Guinea Pig Needed

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
That reminds me of those drum dynamo's, you bolted it on the bottom bracket and flicked a lever when you wanted to power up your lights. They tended not to slow you down as much as a bottle dynamo but again slippage was a problem in the wet, wonder if they still make them ?

Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
That reminds me of those drum dynamo's, you bolted it on the bottom bracket and flicked a lever when you wanted to power up your lights. They tended not to slow you down as much as a bottle dynamo but again slippage was a problem in the wet, wonder if they still make them ?
Don't think I have ever seen one tbh. Used to have a bottle dynamo in not the best condition and that was quite the opposite of an electric motor ;D

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
They talk about them on this page, there's a piccy of one the same as I once had.

Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
They talk about them on this page, there's a piccy of one the same as I once had.

Ah I see, it runs on the tyre in the same way

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Here's the sort of application where a friction drive makes sense. All up weight is 8.8kg. They don't make sense on a heavy MTB with knobbly tyres:

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
wonder why he didn't do the test on a 10% hill.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that section lasted for 15 seconds.
what would happen to his tyres if he climbs a little longer?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
that section lasted for 15 seconds.
what would happen to his tyres if he climbs a little longer?
2.147 microns of rubber would wear off per minute. After about 39 minutes, his legs would start to ache. Finally, after approximately 1 hour and 51 minutes, he'd have to get off and walk.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ah I see, it runs on the tyre in the same way
The French, as ever, like to do things differently. Their Cybien-Sport has twin motors clamping the sides of the rear wheel on a rubberised rim section, driving it dynamo fashion.

At 15.5 mph the motors release their grip on the rim:

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The French, as ever, like to do things differently. Their Cybien-Sport has twin motors clamping the sides of the rear wheel on a rubberised rim section, driving it dynamo fashion. At 15.5 mph the motors release their grip on the tyre:

I was going to throw out my old food mixer yesterday. Now I know what to do with it.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
2.147 microns of rubber would wear off per minute. After about 39 minutes, his legs would start to ache. Finally, after approximately 1 hour and 51 minutes, he'd have to get off and walk.
I reckon the heat from friction would melt the rubber on his tyre in about 3 minutes climbing.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Not a bad idea vfr, remember the Sinclair C5 used a washing machine motor !
Although it was later famously said that the C5 was powered by a washing machine motor, the motor was in fact developed from a design produced to drive a truck cooling fan. ... The C5's electronics were produced by MetaLab, a Sinclair spin-off.

Reactions: gsm.terra

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
The Sinclair C5 was built at the Hoover washing machine factory in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales. The motor was I believe a Polymotor built in Italy but interestingly they also made washing machine motors for Hoover hence all the confusion. The bodywork was manufactured in Taiwan and the whole thing pieced together in Wales.

I have a small collection of original Sinclair radios including the Wrist Radio, apparently extremely rare. At one time I owned several of his ZX81 computers which I sold off to a University.
Paradoxically Sir Clive Sinclair's business ideas all went down the drain and he was given a £10.000 handshake by his Government backers, if I'd have had enough of his old stuff I could have made more money now by selling it than he ever did.

Reactions: gsm.terra

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
The Sinclair C5 was built at the Hoover washing machine factory in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales. The motor was I believe a Polymotor built in Italy but interestingly they also made washing machine motors for Hoover hence all the confusion. The bodywork was manufactured in Taiwan and the whole thing pieced together in Wales.

I have a small collection of original Sinclair radios including the Wrist Radio, apparently extremely rare. At one time I owned several of his ZX81 computers which I sold off to a University.
Paradoxically Sir Clive Sinclair's business ideas all went down the drain and he was given a £10.000 handshake by his Government backers, if I'd have had enough of his old stuff I could have made more money now by selling it than he ever did.
It would be interesting to know the law on driving a c5 nowadays?