Haibike... Bosch or Yamaha?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
or choose one that gives better value for your money.

Reactions: VictoryV

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I'm based in Wigan/Manchester area. I know of mtb monster up on the A59 near Samlesbury and also next month 50cycles will open their new Altrincham store.
Grateful for any recommendations of others in the area. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

I'm in Milton Keynes so I'm unable to recommend anywhere in the North West but the two I had in mind were -

The Electric Transport Shop. Good service, seem like a decent and honest outfit, I visited the Cambridge branch but they also have a shop in York https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/yorkstore

And Nathan at Adrenalin ATV in Sutton Coldfield was also very helpful. Came across as a decent and honest chap, there wasn't any of the hard sell tactics (which can be the case at other eMTB shops) and he really knows his stuff when it comes to off road riding / eMTBs, he gave me some good advice https://www.adrenalinatv.co.uk/

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If I had to choose it would be a Yamaha bike because it can take a twin chainring on the front and with the hills (mountains) around here that could come in useful. Even on the road the twin chainring on my GSM is very nice to have.
If you plan to use a dongle then double chainring makes sense other wise simpler 1x 11spd or SRAM EX1 1x8spd.

After using 1x11spd, I know why most new MTBs have drop front derailleur.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If I had to choose it would be a Yamaha bike because it can take a twin chainring on the front and with the hills (mountains) around here that could come in useful. Even on the road the twin chainring on my GSM is very nice to have.
If you plan to use a dongle then double chainring makes sense other wise simpler 1x 11spd or SRAM EX1 1x8spd.

After using 1x11spd, I know why most new MTBs have drop front derailleur.

Phil1701

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Without yet having the benefit of a comparative test ride, I'm leaning towards the Cube Hybrid 120 500 race 27.5" which has the Bosch CX drive unit and XT 11 speed transmission and XT brakes... Trusted and reputable components and looks to be competitively priced compared to the equivalent Scott, KTM, and Haibike variants.

Reactions: Fish2

Phil1701

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I'm in Milton Keynes so I'm unable to recommend anywhere in the North West but the two I had in mind were -

The Electric Transport Shop. Good service, seem like a decent and honest outfit, I visited the Cambridge branch but they also have a shop in York https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/yorkstore

And Nathan at Adrenalin ATV in Sutton Coldfield was also very helpful. Came across as a decent and honest chap, there wasn't any of the hard sell tactics (which can be the case at other eMTB shops) and he really knows his stuff when it comes to off road riding / eMTBs, he gave me some good advice https://www.adrenalinatv.co.uk/
Bit far for me but thanks for the advice anyway, much appreciated.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Without yet having the benefit of a comparative test ride, I'm leaning towards the Cube Hybrid 120 500 race 27.5" which has the Bosch CX drive unit and XT 11 speed transmission and XT brakes... Trusted and reputable components and looks to be competitively priced compared to the equivalent Scott, KTM, and Haibike variants.

I have the Cube C-62 500 29er hybrid SL 2017 and it is spot on,light and fast.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ

I have cube 140 race and love it. CX drive is excellent, can be a beast in turbo, but in eco provides excellent control on tight single tracks and for negotiating low speed obstacles.

Found best way to climb very steep slopes is not to attack it at 12km/hr in turbo but crawl up it at 7-8km/hr. It never seems run out of grunt no matter how slow I pedal.

Derek M Walshaw

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2016
Anybody got an opinion as to which is the best drive system of these two as looking to buy a quality e-mtb in the near future. It seems that Haibike have both available depending on model. Any advice much appreciated.

Also, if I go for Bosch, should I also be considering Cube, Scott, Giant, ......?

There's this YT vid that explains the difference.

Also avoid go for the 11 speed cassette. Avoid the 10 speed like the plague

• Disagree
Reactions: IR772

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This is my choice:

http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csm680

Stronger 8 speed chain, enough gears to get the job done. With a double chainwheel - 50-38 or 48-38 depending on wheel size you have 16 gears for going anywhere you might want to go on an electric bike.