Haibike xduro Trecking SL - rear gear hub slipping

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
I've had the above bike on loan for three weeks now. It had done around 500 miles on it when I got it. This morning on my way into work the rear wheel gear hub has started slipping when i select either 2nd or 3rd on the left hand thumb shifter. There's a horrible clucking noise and the pedals spin fast for maybe third of a turn before the drive through the chain is reengaged and it feels ok again for maybe a turn or so and then it does it again. From what I can see while riding the chain is definitely not moving between sprockets on the rear cassette so it must be the hub gear itself. Its a DD3 SRAM cassette. Has any body heard of these failing like this before.
Thanks

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I've had exactly those symptoms, twice.

Both times it's been a twig crushed between the gears. Dug it out & all good again.

Different gear system to yours, but well worth a check.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Thanks.
I've had a look and there's no foreign objects between the sprockets no missing teeth, cable looks free and shifting ok to the three positions. I'm sure its internal to the hub.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Try tweaking the adjustment just a little to each side of the correct mark position, that might find the correctly engaged position.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
You didn't say it was the dual drive, having a three speed hub with the derailiur, it's the same as my Birdy, it's a little bit of stretch on the cable, adjust to shorten it, just small amount.

rdgoforth

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2015
Personally I think its banjaxed. We'll see tomorrow when the guy comes to have a look.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Guy came from loan company and had a look tried a few adjustments as I had and came to same conclusion as me I knackered something inside the hub gear. He came on his push bike with so couldn't even take it away to investigate further an can,t pick it up till next week. He did say he would sort out and extension on my loan may be on a different bike.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
You didn't say it was the dual drive, having a three speed hub with the derailiur, it's the same as my Birdy, it's a little bit of stretch on the cable, adjust to shorten it, just small amount.

Guy came from loan company and had a look tried a few adjustments as I had and came to same conclusion as me I knackered something inside the hub gear. He came on his own push bike so couldn't even take it away to investigate further. He did say he would sort out an extension on my 1 month free loan., may be on a different bike though.