Halfords and a wasted week

Yalwen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2008
I’ve been toying with buying an electric bike for some time now, and whilst admitting to being somewhat confused with all the technical info that I read on here, I became very interested in the Urban Mover 36X. However, I was a little put off by some of the customer reviews particular in relation to UM’s after sales service but I was in touch with HAKU and he gave me some favourable information about his own experiences. I think that I may well go for the UM in the next week or so – thanks for your help Haku.

However, my wife is also interested in an electric bike and she showed me some of the favourable reviews of the Halfords Carrera Sram Sparc that she’d read on here, so last Thursday off we went to Halfords to have a look at the machine. I was a little bit miffed that, although we have quite a large store only a mile from our house, we had to travel to the other side of the City to have a look at it. This turned a 10 minute car ride into one of over an hour round trip.

We saw the bike and the staff were very helpful, we received £100 discount and also qualified for the £50 worth of freebies. A good deal! – read on!!

We had to go back the following day, Friday, to pick the bike up – another hour plus round trip and by the time we’d been hanging around, paying etc it had turned into about an hour and a half away from home.

It was a lovely evening and so, as we’d been assured that the bike was ready to ride – helpfully they’d fully charged it for us - we decided to go for a little tootle along the canal sides near our house – me on my old Ridgeback MB and the wife on her brand new Carrera Sparc. All was going well when after 2.4 miles the motor on the Carrera stopped giving assistance. We turned round, went home and decided to see if we could see what was wrong. We couldn’t see anything obviously wrong so, as we’d been told by the very friendly staff at Halfords (I mean that absolutely, they have been excellent) that we could take the bike into the store near us for any adjustments of any kind we decided to pop it in to our local branch on Saturday morning.

Saturday morning came and we took the bike into the local branch. The chap behind the counter looked perplexed and admitted that he didn’t even know that Halfords sold this type of bike and advised us that we should take it back to the original place of purchase. Off we climb into the car for another 2 hours of our life to be wasted.

The guy who sold us the bike was not in the store on this day and the rest of the staff admitted that they couldn’t help as they had to contact the Technical Department and as they also didn’t work on Saturday it would be Monday before anything could be done. The weekend was lovely and we would have loved to have been out on our bikes, but this wasn’t possible as the latest purchase was back in the workshop only hours after it had been sold to us.

Monday came and we ‘phoned Halfords who told us that the Technical chap was “in a meeting”, “not back yet”, “couldn’t be found” and Monday ended with us having made several telephone calls but not having much satisfaction.

Tuesday came and we went through the same performance, with my wife in complete frustration asking “what happens when the Technical chap goes on holiday or, heaven for bid – leaves”. The staff at the store from where we purchased were totally isolated – in the end I felt almost as sorry for them as I did for us!! My wife asked when we would get the bike back we were told that they had no idea! We asked for a refund and we were told to return to the store (again!!) and we would get our Credit card reimbursed. This is what we decided to do, but, of course Halfords wanted the charger and all of the freebies returned so we had to collect everything from around the house. It was as I was collecting everything that I came across the Guarantee Information and I idly decided to have a read.

Imagine my feelings when I found a name address and telephone number already completed and not belonging to anyone in our family! It also had a telephone number. We rang the number and spoke to a gentleman who confirmed that he had not only had this bike, but 3 others as well – all returned with the same fault as ours!! He had now bought a Mountain Bike and had given up on the electric bikes – I know how he feels!

This chap also intimated that Halfords were reluctant to give him a refund – the alarm bells were ringing.

We hopped into the car and went to the Halfords store again. We were met buy a very friendly guy who said that a fix had been found for a very common fault in these bikes and, if we wanted we could pick up our bike later on and it would have received the fix. We said, “no thank you – we want our money back” expecting the worst. We were delighted to meet no problems and our Credit card was reimbursed without any problems.

So, after an eventful week we have no electric bike, have added unnecessarily to our Carbon footprint and have felt all sorts of emotions from the hope of Friday through to the needless worry about having to fight for a refund.

Halfords front line staff have been fantastic at every level but they have been appallingly let down by their support at Technical level and, of course, they have lost at least two customers, to our knowledge.

Yalwen

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Halfords front line staff have been fantastic at every level but they have been appallingly let down by their support at Technical level and, of course, they have lost at least two customers, to our knowledge.
It was the front line staff that sold you a second hand bike as brand new, they aren't that great.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is often a problem with electric bikes, no technical backup, and it's worse when a marketing is restricted or short term. Halfords only offered the Carrera Sparc through some of their outlets and didn't even put it on their website. Other branches denied all knowledge of it's existence so were obviously kept in the dark by management.

I suspect it's an exclusive to Halfords and no more than a test marketing to see if the time is ripe for entry into the e-bike market. Judging by what you say, it's unlikely they'll go further at this time if these experiences are commonplace.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I would be bloody minded and report them to trading standards for selling a second hand bike with known problems as new.

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
Wow, what a frustrating experience.

I looked at this bike the other day with some immediate reservations (that HUGE motor). The assistant very pleasantly showed me the features but barely knew what an electric bike was.

I'm guessing you won't be putting any future store in buying from a shop rather than the internet:( Are you going to try again?

Yalwen

Jul 20, 2008
Yes, it was a very frustrating experience.

The thing is that the bike was exactly what my wife wanted. The price, with all the discounts and extras, was perfect. The sales people seemed genuinely helpful and interested in us, but as with most things, you only find out how good things are when something goes wrong.

As a complete novice where electric bikes are concerned I do lack confidence in making a purchase. As I said in my first post I'm considering an Urban Mover, but you struggle to find a good report on their service and it puts me off. Spending £800+ is a major spend for me (I'm retired) and I can't afford a mistake.

I'm fairly pleased that I bought from a store and not on line as I just don't want to go through the hassle of telephone calls, returns etc. At least with Halfords I was always going to be able to deal face to face and there was also the opportunity to just bob it in for servicing and repair.

All I want to do is to buy a bike I fancy at a price I can afford and ride it.

I think I'll stick with my Ridgeback for now.

Yal

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm fairly pleased that I bought from a store and not on line as I just don't want to go through the hassle of telephone calls, returns etc.

Yal
Powacycle have some local dealers Yal, and their Salisbury (gents) and Windsor (ladies) LPX models are sound bikes comfortably in your price range.

Here's their website to see those models and where you can use the contact link on the left to ask if they have a dealer near you:

Powacycle

JK1

Jul 26, 2008
As I said in my first post I'm considering an Urban Mover, but you struggle to find a good report on their service and it puts me off. Spending £800+ is a major spend for me (I'm retired) and I can't afford a mistake.
I have had a UM36X for nearly a month now purchased from a dealer about 50 miles from where I live..No problems at all with it and a great bike. Its not too bad at hill climbing and quickly accelerates to 15mph leaving plenty of energy to exceed that speed saving the battery. As I've said elsewhere I managed 40 miles on it on one day with power left in the battery (though some of that mileage was with the battery turned off, it rides really well even without power as it is one of the lightest electric bikes and has a good spread of gears.)

Unlike the earlier model it doesn't come with a throttle as standard but as this eats battery power is no big deal for me.

An email to UM was promptly answered so no issue with customer service, either from my dealer or UM themselves.

If you can, try one, I doubt you'll be disappointed. I've been truly pleased with my purchase.

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
I can see where you're coming from, and at least you did get the full refund, but it's hard to see what other advantages there are of buying off-line, so to speak. Maybe it's worth writing of your experience to Halford's head office? They may want to put things right.

Otherwise, I've seen quite a few ebikes in local bike shops. Hopefully, the manager/owner will have put some time into choosing the model(s) they stock and gained some knowledge.

A Ridgeback's not a bad thing to fall back on:)

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
You did the right thing in insisting on your money back at an early stage!

In some ways buying from a store which doesn't have any product knowledge is like buying on-line, as you don't have any back-up. As you say, though, at least you can go round and insist on what you want.

At one point my wife was going to get an urbanmover. They look good, but the reviews put us off! The dealer we went to now no longer deals with them as too many problems! She got a Powacycle and has not regretted it!

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
To be honest, Halfords would be one of the last places I'd choose to buy an electric bike from because they're still pretty much treated as a speciality type of bike - you walk into almost any independant bike shop and ask about electric bikes and you'll likely to get a sharp intake of air response from the staff/shop owner, I practically got the same reponse from my local one when I enquired about getting a full suspension mountain bike (this was before I got my UM36) so I didn't even bother enquiring about an electric bike.

I bought my UM36 from Honeyfield Trailers who only deal with trailers and electric bikes. I recall seeing Tesco selling an electric bike which uses a lead acid battery to keep costs down, even if they sold the bike I have now I wouldn't buy from them because they're not a bike company.

JK1: you're right about the throttle chewing into the battery, especially when it's derestricted and you can get to 20+mph on the flat without pedalling :D however it can actually help you achieve longer distances when hills are involved, with just normal pedalling up hills the motor gets full power but you can twist the throttle a little bit to reduce power to the motor and extend battery runtime.
When I do long rides I use the throttle a lot during the first half to limit power to the motor to achieve long runtimes, which means during the 2nd half of the journey I have excess battery power for when I need it.
Since seeing the UM36X didn't come with a throttle I've been wondering if it's possible to retro-fit a throttle, if the controller is identical to the UM36 (and all their other older bikes) then the throttle connector should be unused (or plugged into the battery status box on the handlebars)

b4bob

Apr 25, 2008
Halfords!

So I'm not the only one. Bought a Sparc for short commutes 1st week of June. It's now had 5 spokes break in the rear wheel. As the shop is a 25 mile round trip and I've had to wait till weekends etc to get across it's been off road more than on. Initially accepted first break as one of those things but... Now the wheel is with a local bike shop to have decent spokes fitted. Staff quite pleasant but going nowhere fast. Plan is to get the wheel rebuilt and then hit them with grumpy out of pocket customer letter. Which is a shame as otherwise it is just the job for want I wanted.