Halfords electric scooters.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It seems an absurdly large range for a niche that will be illegal for almost all their customers to use.

Electric scooters must not be used on public highways, pavements, cycle lanes or bridleways, but only on private property with the owner's consent. For further guidance,

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
They look great fun, especially for nipping around in an urban area. I don't think their legality will become an issue until numbers increase and if they take on menace status. Adult versions were featured in last weeks episode of Casualty being ridden through a public park and I don't think plod were bedside grilling the users.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I wouldn't want to risk 6 points on my driving licence and a £300 fine.

(Not that e-scooters would be much use here on our pot-holed muddy lanes....)

• Agree

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Saw this today in Swansea. Timed him at 23 mph.
Interesting thing is that it had a number late issued in Czech Republic.SAM_2328.JPG

• Informative

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
They look great fun, especially for nipping around in an urban area. I don't think their legality will become an issue until numbers increase and if they take on menace status. Adult versions were featured in last weeks episode of Casualty being ridden through a public park and I don't think plod were bedside grilling the users.
I didn’t see that episode. It wasn’t about an e-scooter zooming through the park and hitting a pedestrian who ended up in intensive care was it?

I see lots of them about. I had one pass me on my bike the other day. I was doing 20mph so would guess he was going about 25mph.

I wouldn’t have one but I don’t see why they can’t be treated like bikes and used on the road and cycle paths. That would be much safer than on pavements, just like bikes.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Well strange that Halfords do electric scooters, But when I asked Halfords if they could check my electric moped brakes, they said they don't. probably bit harder to fix than scooters. so I adjusted them myself. well round my brothers garage, as I don't have anywhere to do things as I am in a 1st floor flat. I have a shed on ground floor. but there is no place to do jobs like brakes etc.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I wouldn’t have one but I don’t see why they can’t be treated like bikes and used on the road and cycle paths. That would be much safer than on pavements, just like bikes
I very much doubt that if there were 'treated like bikes' and made legal on the road and cycle paths, it would reduce the problem of people zipping along on pavements with them.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I noted in a local newspaper a couple of weeks ago. Crawley police will take serious measures against anyone using such a machine in the town centre. They are extremely concerned at the danger they present to pedestrians and will issue fines and culprits vould be given points on their driving licence.
Of course, the really good news there must be that Crawley town centre is obviously going to have a police presence.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In the last couple of weeks I have been in to Crawley Town on my ebike and ridden slowly thru the square, as usual no plod in sight.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
In the last couple of weeks I have been in to Crawley Town on my ebike and ridden slowly thru the square, as usual no plod in sight.
Very rebellious of you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I know naughty aren't I.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
So it was you! Next time I will shove my shopping trolley in front of you. Mind you, I doubt I will go to Crawley for a few months again so you are fairly safe.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I see lots of them about. I had one pass me on my bike the other day. I was doing 20mph so would guess he was going about 25mph.
I was cycling in to work the other day (on a non-electric bike!) and I saw what looked to be a very normal, small wheeled scooter join the cycle path just ahead of me. Boy was he zooming along. I accelerated and followed him for half a mile or so to try and see what speed he was doing and yup, it was between 20 and 25mph! I was shocked (and out of breath :) )

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Unfortunatly, observance of laws in the UK is very poor, almost non-existent sometimes, unless there is a Policeman about, but even then ............

And therein is the 'problem' with eScooters, whilst the less able bodied, who may not be able to walk round to the shops, would maybe like to use one, there are enough 'laws are for others' persons around that seem to think eScooters are a Tetris style game versus pedestrians, that legalisation allowing use seems unlikely .....

Last edited:
  • Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Informative