rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Halfords is unveiling their Cybic E-Legend, which is connected to Amazon’s voice-controlled digital assistant Alexa, at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas from today.
Both the electric Cybic model and the unassisted hybrid Cybic Legend are due to go on sale in Halfords this summer.
“We’ve seen innovations in alternative commuting go from strength to strength and after electric bikes we predict that the next big trend for commuters will be smart bikes,” said Halfords’ Andy Whitehall.
“The technology will help cyclists with many things including getting traffic updates, getting turn-by-turn directions, personalised light settings, playing music and much more.”

Product features are listed as:
Access to cycling performance data including speed, time & distance covered
GPS and mapping...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Forget the tech....looks like it's fitted with a Bafang M500 mid drive. Interesting choice of motor.....

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Interesting funky style looking bike but lacking suspension of any kind.
I wonder what the price will be 2k ?
The bafang OEM mid drive seems to have taken along time to appear on a bike for mass sale over here.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I'm not entirely sure why, but I've been following the uptake of the M series motor since it appeared on the Bafang website many months ago. I think it has great promise as an alternative to Bosch, Yamaha etc. From what I've read on ES, there have been delays with the development of the intergrated battery pack from Bafang, which I think has hindered it's appeal to manufacturers. I think it's a real shame that it's first outing in the UK is going to be powering a piece of consumer electronics marketed by Halfords, rather than a really great range of emtbs. I'm all for things moving forward, but I do hope this will not be a sign of things to come.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's a real shame that it's first outing in the UK is going to be powering a piece of consumer electronics marketed by Halfords, rather than a really great range of emtbs. I'm all for things moving forward, but I do hope this will not be a sign of things to come.
Suzhou Bafang have always primarily occupied the low end mass market, so it's likely they'll continue that way. I can't see them going up against the likes of Bosch like for like, but this unit will no doubt appear in the mid market as well. So potentially a sound lower price alternative to Bosch etc in quite decent e-bikes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Call me old fashioned, but I want a connected bike as much as I want my shoes, fridge or bath talking to the world wide web. Talk about complicating things!

I am all for innovation, I am no luddite, and I am sure some people will love it. But ..well....you know.

Is it me?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Call me old fashioned, but I want a connected bike as much as I want my shoes, fridge or bath talking to the world wide web. Talk about complicating things!

I am all for innovation, I am no luddite, and I am sure some people will love it. But ..well....you know.

Is it me?
Not just you, I think the concept is barmy. The bicycle, the simplest most efficient human transport ever, is gradually being perverted into something ridiculously complicated.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ibike rrp 25k o_O

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
However you look at it, Halfords should be applauded on bringing out cutting edge tech like this, this won't be affordable or desirable for most, and it could be seen as gimicky by most on here (we are interested in range and speed, right !) but it creates a buzz around e-bikes in general...I can see the T3 and 'Click' reviews now when it hits the street in the summer.

Right, so with British Cycling discount, Zeek gift cards, Quidco cashback.....;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's bound to happen. Big corporations want now to own your bike after owning your kitchen, bathroom and control your lighting and heating system.
Honestly, would you want or trust alexa to indicate for you after it tells you to take a right turn?

• Agree

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I don’t expect to see thousands of these on the road or trail. It’s a bit of a laugh though and I expect a few people with loads of money to burn will buy one.

• Agree

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Firm believer in KISS - keep it simple stupid! Alexa on a bike, what is the point? As hinted earlier, I think it's just a way of tying the owner into the brand for servicing etc. What happens if Alexa decides there's something wrong with the bike and turns it off?
Think I'll just stick to my unprogrammable neolithic hub kit, ta.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Does it work without a phone? Well thats settled then...

• Agree

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
I am 60 Years young, and really in to all things tech, I have a PC I built myself, laptops, Tablets,garmin 820, garmin satnav and a smartphone, however being an avid reader I have just re-read 1984 by George Orwell, ( I read it 40 years ago)first thing I did was make sure alexa, siri and cortana were all switched off !!!!!! scary :(
less is more

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reading the rest of the replies and realising this Alexa thing is something to do with the TAX dodging Amazon, as they have to pay Clarkson and his fools my guestimate for a 2k is going to be woeful and only the few who throw money at Apples and I-phones may be tempted. Myself I just like the quirky styling of said bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
alexa is a free app that can be downloaded to any device that runs ios or android.

so a ebike with alexa means nothing it just has a built in smart device same as a light bulb via a phone app lol.