Halfords/Spare Batteries.

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Hey good people.

What's the deal with buying spare batteries for your bikes with Halfords? I contacted them today regarding buying a spare, they refused to give me a price and repeatedly asked what was wrong with the battery I had?! I explained nothing was wrong, but with long journeys, I would like to have a spare on me in case I needed it. I was told they couldn't help me, had no information. This seems like utter insanity?! Do i need to prove I have a faulty battery before getting a new one? What's the big deal with having two batteries?

Had a wee look on Amazon, couldn't see anything there either.It's a bit frustrating.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hey good people.

What's the deal with buying spare batteries for your bikes with Halfords? I contacted them today regarding buying a spare, they refused to give me a price and repeatedly asked what was wrong with the battery I had?! I explained nothing was wrong, but with long journeys, I would like to have a spare on me in case I needed it. I was told they couldn't help me, had no information. This seems like utter insanity?! Do i need to prove I have a faulty battery before getting a new one? What's the big deal with having two batteries?

Had a wee look on Amazon, couldn't see anything there either.It's a bit frustrating.
OMG!!!
I have started to understand better the Halford's problems.....
Unbelievable.
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Sorry, I didn't catch what you meant?
I live abroad, I do not shop at Halfords very often, and many here on this Forum, say they give poor service. It appears to be true!
Is that clear enough for you?
Andy

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
I live abroad, I do not shop at Halfords very often, and many here on this Forum, say they give poor service. It appears to be true!
Is that clear enough for you?
Andy

I don't know you, I couldn't have known any of that before hand, that's why I asked.

If anyone has any helpful info about where I could buy a battery for a Carrera Crossfire, I'd be very grateful, thanks.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I don't know you, I couldn't have known any of that before hand, that's why I asked.

If anyone has any helpful info about where I could buy a battery for a Carrera Crossfire, I'd be very grateful, thanks.
Thats why you got an honest answer back from me!

I expect the bikes are also available here, but I myself have never "noticed" any e-bikes from them, so unable to help.

Andy

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Thats why you got an honest answer back from me!

I expect the bikes are also available here, but I myself have never "noticed" any e-bikes from them, so unable to help.

Andy

Good Man.

If anyone else on the forum knows where I could get a Battery for a Carrera Crossfire, let me know. Thanks.

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Halfords are box shifters with partly trained monkeys holding spanners.
Asking for anything unusual is never going to have a successful outcome.

It's very frustrating , as it basically leaves me with zero options.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
What's the deal with buying spare batteries for your bikes with Halfords? I contacted them today regarding buying a spare, they refused to give me a price and repeatedly asked what was wrong with the battery I had?! I explained nothing was wrong, but with long journeys, I would like to have a spare on me in case I needed it. I was told they couldn't help me, had no information. This seems like utter insanity?! Do i need to prove I have a faulty battery before getting a new one?
A few possible reasons cross my mind. My guesses would be:
1) You may have a stolen bike. There's been a huge increase in bikes being stolen, and most e-bikes are stored/locked without their battery when stolen. There's even been a few postings on this forum from people asking where to buy replacement batteries, chargers, and keys/locks - all those things likely to be missing from a stolen e-bike. Obviously, people are suspicious when anyone is trying to source just those items.
2) It depends how old your Carrera Crossfire is and which battery you need. The pre-2019 version uses a Phylion battery with older UART comms that the maker has just recently discontinued from their catalogue. The newer Crossfire battery is physically different and AFAIK comes from a different supplier.
3) Any UK e-bike/battery pricing is likely to fluctuate considerably given the far-east makers price in US $ and the UK £ has weakened a lot recently given a) Brexit b) COVID19 c) high demand and lack of supply for anything bicycle. If items made in the far-east are out of stock and awaiting shipment/landing in this country, how can anyone price anything properly at the moment?

Just my thoughts why any supplier may be a bit vague at the moment.

Reactions: Muddyfox

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
A few possible reasons cross my mind. My guesses would be:
1) You may have a stolen bike. There's been a huge increase in bikes being stolen, and most e-bikes are stored/locked without their battery when stolen. There's even been a few postings on this forum from people asking where to buy replacement batteries, chargers, and keys/locks - all those things likely to be missing from a stolen e-bike. Obviously, people are suspicious when anyone is trying to source just those items.
2) It depends how old your Carrera Crossfire is and which battery you need. The pre-2019 version uses a Phylion battery with older UART comms that the maker has just recently discontinued from their catalogue. The newer Crossfire battery is physically different and AFAIK comes from a different supplier.
3) Any UK e-bike/battery pricing is likely to fluctuate considerably given the far-east makers price in US $ and the UK £ has weakened a lot recently given a) Brexit b) COVID19 c) high demand and lack of supply for anything bicycle. If items made in the far-east are out of stock and awaiting shipment/landing in this country, how can anyone price anything properly at the moment?

Just my thoughts why any supplier may be a bit vague at the moment.

Actually, I think number two of your message is the most likely. I did not stipulate neither did they ask if my bike is the latest edition, which it is. My plan is to head along to my local Halfords tomorrow and find out directly. I have heard of people buying them, just surprised me that they aren't advertised. But a few of your reasons might be bang on the money. Thanks.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Actually, I think number two of your message is the most likely. I did not stipulate neither did they ask if my bike is the latest edition, which it is. My plan is to head along to my local Halfords tomorrow and find out directly. I have heard of people buying them, just surprised me that they aren't advertised. But a few of your reasons might be bang on the money. Thanks.
There were a number of the older versions being sold cheaply on Yosepower recently - possibly stock being cleared. The newer battery version is - AFAIK - also used on some current Raleigh model e-bikes. If Halfords can't help, you might want to ask at any Raleigh e-bike dealer.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Two of my local bike shops will not deal with you over certain parts for electric bikes unless you can verify your legal purchase. If someone takes a stolen bike in for something, they can also tell who originally purchased it and if it is on the stolen list. If this was the reason though in your case I would have expected them to ask you about purchase.
Sorry this does not answer your question, just a bit of background.

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

Both of those are the older Phylion SF-06 batteries. You have to ask yourself why both those sellers would be selling them in "used" condition... perhaps because their own bikes were stolen?

The OP is seeking the new version, which is different.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Halford (Halfrauds?) are well known to classic car owners. Opening hours are great but staff knowledge / attitude /CS is often terrible.
Servicing my car, I took the "spin-on" oil filter to them and asked for a new one. They insisted I give them my registration number then refused to sell me what I needed - their computer said the car should have the older "cartridge" type and the one I had just taken off the car wouldn't fit!
Have also seen photos of new cycles assembled, checked, and sold by them with the forks on backwards!

Some of their shops have good staff, some don't. Be lucky!
Edit : Maybe ask a different branch and hope the staff are more helpful? Afraid I've got no better suggestions

Last edited:

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Two of my local bike shops will not deal with you over certain parts for electric bikes unless you can verify your legal purchase. If someone takes a stolen bike in for something, they can also tell who originally purchased it and if it is on the stolen list. If this was the reason though in your case I would have expected them to ask you about purchase.
Sorry this does not answer your question, just a bit of background.

Makes sense though, I like that Bike shops are responsible.

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
There were a number of the older versions being sold cheaply on Yosepower recently - possibly stock being cleared. The newer battery version is - AFAIK - also used on some current Raleigh model e-bikes. If Halfords can't help, you might want to ask at any Raleigh e-bike dealer.

It just blows my mind that it isn't as simple as turning up and buying one. They sell the CHARGERS for batteries, but not the batteries themselves. Madness.

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Halford (Halfrauds?) are well known to classic car owners. Opening hours are great but staff knowledge / attitude /CS is often terrible. Servicing my car, I took the "spin-on" oil filter to them and asked for a new one. They insisted I give them my registration number then refused to sell me what I needed - their computer said the car should have the older "cartridge" type and the one I had just taken off the car wouldn't fit!
Have also seen photos of new cycles assembled, checked, and sold by them with the forks on backwards!
Some of their shops have good staff, some don't. Be lucky!

That's quite depressing. I've definitely had a change of heart regarding halfords.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Maybe I'm just at odds with the majority here, or maybe I'm just lucky to have a good Halfords. The manager is probably underpaid, but he's certainly both enthusiastic and knowledgeable, will often spend time idly chatting about bikes/trends and what's going on/new products coming along.

I like that (in normal times) I can just pop-along, and what I need is there on the shelves (check store availability and/or order stock in without obligation on-line before-hand), but that you can see and feel the product and get it NOW rather than wait for a delivery. There's face to face contact if there's a problem or you change your mind. And they'll price match/undercut/discount without argument until it hurts.

It's a great store!