halfords

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
I went to look at a Urban Mover Sprite at Halfords,seemed to be a suitable choice for my wife and myself.Halfords seems attractive due to aftersales being on the doorstep.My main question though is what do you guys think of this brand and model,i know i will get straight answers here and not a load of salesman b***s**t.
Thanks.
Brian.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
If you finally decide to go this route , and your plan is to own one each , buy just one initially and put some miles on it before you buy the second one . Definition of an oxymoron , a welder with a very low level of skill .

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi Avronb,

We used to distribute these and supplied them to Halfords. But haven't done for almost a year (so no gain from my recommendation). They are a solid bike and generally very reliable. I personally think they offer good value

thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not the most powerful of e-bikes, but looks sound and good value with a decent battery. Has the basic equipment, mudguards, carrier etc for urban use, but if the front mudguard got any more skimpy, it would disappear.

Ok if the territory isn't too challenging, but if you have the steepest of hills like 1 in 6 or steeper, a more powerful and probably 36 volt bike would be better:

Halfords link

Another supplier's review of this model

Last edited:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi...I bought an Urban Mover UM44S U Sprite back in September 2010...this is a supposedly more powerful model with a 36v battery, than the one Halfords stocks and alleges in the brochure a 50 mile range, ....although I struggled to get 30 which was the more realistic figure Mark quoted me pre purchase.

I paid a £1000 for it and been highly delighted, I've put 2500 miles on it since purchase with never a minutes bother but I always felt that given any trouble I could rely on Marks expertise to put it right.

Whether or not that'd be the case now remains to be tested.

I believe someone has already suggested buying just one for starters, which is a good idea.

Because of an accident I'm looking for stepthrough model and if I could lay my hands on a UM 44SL U Sprite which is the ladies model of my bike at the right price, I'd be very tempted.

Not sure how much you could rely on Halfords for after sales but I found my UM to be very reliable.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well they put in a very poor showing on support on their previous e-venture with the Carrera Sparc bike, so that was not promising. When I inquired about it, one branch manager insisted they didn't do e-bikes and told me bluntly that I was wrong in saying they did.

This seems to look like a more serious try, but I wouldn't rate most Halford branches as being any more good with e-bike support than the majority of cycle dealers, and that's not very good.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Dont buy from halfords expecting them to know what to do with an ebike if it breaks. They struggle with a normal bike in my experience

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Dont buy from halfords expecting them to know what to do with an ebike if it breaks. They struggle with a normal bike in my experience
.....I'll second that.