Hall sensor voltage

Ebikeotis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 31, 2020
Uk
Hi guys. New to E-BIKES. I’ve built myself an ebike conversion which went brilliantly. Now it has a problem. Unfortunately as I’ve modified it I can ring the supplier (oops). I did squash 2 wires with the bearing which I have now fixed. The screen has a motor fault icon and when I try to use the throttle it jolts then nothing. I’ve used the multimeter to test the wires from the hall sensor wire and getting 0-5v on one but the other 2 are stuck at 5 and no change when I turn the wheel. Do the sensors have to be a certain distance from the magnets as one is close and 2 seem further apart. When the wheel was going round before it did have the sound of a misfiring car. The other thing I noticed is in between the gaps on the stator it’s being held together by wooden sticks. Is this right? Seems a bit cheap
The green tape isn’t the all the time ha ha

Attachments

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
As long as you have it apart, trace continuity from the ends of the Hall sensor wires to the sensor leads. Each sensor has three leads. I believe each sensor will have one lead going to green, yellow or blue. They will have one lead going tor red and one lead going to black.

If you have continuity, then you probably fried two sensors. Need to solder in new ones.

Ebikeotis

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
As long as you have it apart, trace continuity from the ends of the Hall sensor wires to the sensor leads. Each sensor has three leads. I believe each sensor will have one lead going to green, yellow or blue. They will have one lead going tor red and one lead going to black.

If you have continuity, then you probably fried two sensors. Need to solder in new ones.
Awesome. I’ll have a look tomorrow. If I do need new sensors are the all universal or do I have to get a certain type? Trust me to only have one run on the bike lol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
SS41 hall sensors, ebay or electronic component store.
If the halls don't switch between 0 & 5v when slowly rotating the hub then they need replacing, if you rotate the hub too fast you should see an average of 2.5v to show they are ok.

Ebikeotis

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
SS41 hall sensors, ebay or electronic component store.
If the halls don't switch between 0 & 5v when slowly rotating the hub then they need replacing, if you rotate the hub too fast you should see an average of 2.5v to show they are ok.
Many thanks for the reply. I’ve just pulled them out which was fairly painless and looked the the codes on the sensors. One says 41H7cg and the other says 41h7kag. Should they all be the same or should they they be different?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your hub is a D/D hub so don't know why they are different, the phases are equal so no reason why they shouldn't be the same.
Maybe someone else can shed so light.

Ebikeotis

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
Your hub is a D/D hub so don't know why they are different, the phases are equal so no reason why they shouldn't be the same.
Maybe someone else can shed so light.
I’ve just been out to make sure I’m not seeing things and it is different. Just need to find out which sensors I can use and get it all fixed again. I still can’t find any with the code I have

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
don't worry about what is written on the chips.

Hall sensors are made by a lot of companies for a wide range of characteristics, voltage and field strength.
for what you need, practically, any SS41 will do. They are inexpensive to replace.
Just make sure to take some pictures before you remove the old ones.
The new one should be fitted in the same orientation and location.

The other thing I noticed is in between the gaps on the stator it’s being held together by wooden sticks.
yes, that happens often on large direct hub drives. Wood is good in that particular place and with large copper wires. Smaller motors and thinner wires have plastic separators.

Ebikeotis

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
don't worry about what is written on the chips.

Hall sensors are made by a lot of companies for a wide range of characteristics, voltage and field strength.
for what you need, practically, any SS41 will do. They are inexpensive to replace.
Just make sure to take some pictures before you remove the old ones.
The new one should be fitted in the same orientation and location.

yes, that happens often on large direct hub drives. Wood is good in that particular place and with large copper wires. Smaller motors and thinner wires have plastic separators.
Many thanks woosh. I’ve just ordered some. I can’t wait to get it repaired. Was really good on the one one I took it out ha ha