Hall Sensors make PAS Sensors defunct?

carlbikekits

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
An engineering friend of mine claims that I don't need a PAS sensor if I use a hall sensor. I've tried researching what this really means but not finding anything useful.

I intend to use a Cyclotricity front hub 250W wheel. Is there any way of removing the need for a PAS sensor and have an efficiently operated kit?

Any links to YT video or similar much appreciated.

Thanks

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
An engineering friend of mine claims that I don't need a PAS sensor if I use a hall sensor. I've tried researching what this really means but not finding anything useful.

I intend to use a Cyclotricity front hub 250W wheel. Is there any way of removing the need for a PAS sensor and have an efficiently operated kit?

Any links to YT video or similar much appreciated.

Thanks
Comparing apples and oranges.

A hall sensor is an electronic component, capable of being used in many different ways. Just one part of doing something.

The PAS sensor is doing something very specific, namely detecting that the crank is turning. And the sensing part of it very likely is one or more hall sensors.

A legal pedelec needs some means of knowing the pedals are turning. If no torque sensor, then to be legal in the UK you need a PAS sensor.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A hall is necessary to interpret the pedal or cassette rotation for a eapc/pedelec, the PAS sensor utilises the hall inside the plastic unit.
My gravel bike uses the cassette to sense the cranks/pedals are rotated via an led that picks up the teeth movement to the controller.
All other biks use a series of magnets and a hall or utilise torque sensing, ultimately a hall will be involved.

Reactions: carlbikekits

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020

The image on that Wikipedia page is probably what your PAS is - a circle of magnets, say 10 or 12, passing by a Hall sensor, firing off impulses to tell your motor the pedals/wheels are rotating, and at what rate they're turning

I'm sure there are other types of PAS too, but a Hall sensor is what's on our two ebikes.

Therefore 'I don't need a PAS sensor if I use a hall sensor ' doesn't quite make sense.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Without getting into the technical stuff at all, surely an ebike controller is configured to receive the signal from the PAS and without that signal, the controller won't activate the motor.(Different for skate board and scooter controllers of course.)

The hall sensors inside the motor are there to signal to the controller the position of the motor coils with respect to the motor magnets which in turn produces the 3 phase power to the motor in the correct sequence(phase).

Well, that's my simple understand but I'm a novice on BLDC motor theory so happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PC2017 and Woosh