Hallo from Derby

johnebike

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2014
My wife and I are long term leisure cyclists and the miles seem to be getting longer and the hills steeper.
I am interested in adding an Electric conversion kit to her bike to overcome some of these problems :(.
I am thinking of fitting a front wheel kit for ease of installation probably with throttle control only to be used when the going gets difficult.
So far I have only managed to see/try the Cyclotricity kits at Electric Bike conversions at Fenton, Stoke on Trent. I would like to see some others but all the dealers I have spoken to so far have only sold complete bikes.
Does anyone have suggestions as to where I might be able to do this

D

Deleted member 4366

If your good at electrics and spanner work, there's lots of kits you could fit. If you're not, then the choice is more limited. Budget also has an effect on choice, and so does the actual bike you have. If you can gives us information on these things, we can help you find something that meets your needs.

Reactions: johnebike

johnebike

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2014
If your good at electrics and spanner work, there's lots of kits you could fit. If you're not, then the choice is more limited. Budget also has an effect on choice, and so does the actual bike you have. If you can gives us information on these things, we can help you find something that meets your needs.

johnebike

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2014
I will tackle most types of bike mechanical work except wheel building
I am not particularly experienced with electrical wiring and would like a kit with clear instructions where it is possible to get a tidy weatherproof setup.

The bike I want to convert has a smallish sturdy alloy steel frame with 26 inch wheels, V-brakes and derailleur gears.

I would like the conversion kit to be fairly unobtrusive and for this reason would prefer a bottle cage battery type.
I would like a range of about 50 miles and would probably be prepared to carry a spare battery.
It is hoped that a lot of pedalling will be done and the battery power only be used if headwinds and hills become too much. Therefore the rolling resistance / weight must not be increased too much.
I have in mind a budget of about £1000
Ideally I would like to see/try out the kit I bought before purchase. At the moment I am not keen on an internet purchase for such a large item.

I look forward to any comments / suggestions

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
How about Bob's Juicy kits? He's just about in your back yard IIRC.

Juicy bike, over on the right-hand side of the page >>>

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
How about Bob's Juicy kits? He's just about in your back yard IIRC.

Juicy bike, over on the right-hand side of the page >>>
Thanks for the promotion Jack! Trouble is, our kits are no where near £1,000 and we use Frog-style batteries, rather than the bottle cage type.
On the other hand we could tempt the OP with some ready built bikes that wouldn't use his whole budget!
I really should spend more time on these forums! thanks again Jack.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
In that case, John, I reckon you need to have a word with Cyclezee.
He's definitely got kits in your price range, but further away - In Milton Keynes: Now don't laugh - Someone's gotta live there :rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc

johnebike

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2014
hi Jackhandy & Juicybike
Thankyou for your messages
I wasn't considering Juicybike as I couldn't see any conversion kits on their website. After seeing your message I phoned their Buxton sales outlet and was advised that in fact they do sell kits, although I still can't find them on their site.
I should say that the figure I gave for my budget was the maximum and I would have no problem in spending less:) - the idea was to include a spare battery.
When I spoke to Juicy bike they said that they couldn't sell me a spare battery, otherwise their kit could be of interest although it is possible that the bike in question may not have enough seatpost exposed to accommodate a Frog battery.
I hope to go and have a look at the Juicy kits soon

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
hi Jackhandy & Juicybike
Thankyou for your messages
I wasn't considering Juicybike as I couldn't see any conversion kits on their website. After seeing your message I phoned their Buxton sales outlet and was advised that in fact they do sell kits, although I still can't find them on their site.
I should say that the figure I gave for my budget was the maximum and I would have no problem in spending less:) - the idea was to include a spare battery.
When I spoke to Juicy bike they said that they couldn't sell me a spare battery, otherwise their kit could be of interest although it is possible that the bike in question may not have enough seatpost exposed to accommodate a Frog battery.
I hope to go and have a look at the Juicy kits soon
Hi John
Oooops - whoever told you that was wrong to do so. Of course we'll sell you another battery @ £289 if you're not an existing customer, or £259 if you already own a Juicy Bike.
You'd be welcome to come over and see the kits, on view at our Buxton shop.
We are also at The University on Kedleston Road tomorrow, demonstrating our built bikes in the Atrium. You'd be welcome to come along.

Our kits are listed under accessories here.

Reactions: johnebike

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
John, I live in Derby near the Royal Hospital - you are welcome to have a blast on my sons cheapy Cylamatic power plus bike if it would help you in your choice.

One thing I found was it's important to get the size of the bike right for the size of person - my other half also uses the Cylamatic, and at 5' 2" its 17" frame is just small enough for her.

It was £499 from Sports HQ. You get what you pay for to a certain extent (it's no where near as nice to ride as my BH Neo, which cost 3 times more in a sale), but it's actually not a bad bike for the money.

johnebike

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2014
Hi John
Oooops - whoever told you that was wrong to do so. Of course we'll sell you another battery @ £289 if you're not an existing customer, or £259 if you already own a Juicy Bike.
You'd be welcome to come over and see the kits, on view at our Buxton shop.
We are also at The University on Kedleston Road tomorrow, demonstrating our built bikes in the Atrium. You'd be welcome to come along.

Our kits are listed under accessories here.
Thanks for that info Bob. Especially interesting since I only live about a mile from Derby Uni. Even more interesting if you were to have one of the batteries for me to look at. What times will you be there? I expect that I will look in.

johnebike

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2014
John, I live in Derby near the Royal Hospital - you are welcome to have a blast on my sons cheapy Cylamatic power plus bike if it would help you in your choice.

One thing I found was it's important to get the size of the bike right for the size of person - my other half also uses the Cylamatic, and at 5' 2" its 17" frame is just small enough for her.

It was £499 from Sports HQ. You get what you pay for to a certain extent (it's no where near as nice to ride as my BH Neo, which cost 3 times more in a sale), but it's actually not a bad bike for the money.
Hi Backin
Thanks for your kind offer of a test ride but I am interested in fitting a kit to a bike I already have. Don't have room for any more bikes:( so don't think a test ride would help me at the moment.

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
That's how approached it at first, soon finding it messy and costly. I've just switched the cylamatic forks out with some half decent ones off an spesh hardrock. Apart from that it's an ok bike, way less hassle than making a Frankenbike. Unless you like that kind of thing and have the spare time.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you end up with.

C

Cyclezee

In that case, John, I reckon you need to have a word with John, at Cyclezee.
He's definitely got kits in your price range, but further away - In Milton Keynes: Now don't laugh - Someone's gotta live there :rolleyes:
Guess you must be jealous of our mild climate and 170 miles of traffic free cycling Pete:p

C

Cyclezee

Actually, Milton Keynes has a sub tropical climate, we are having a monsoon right now:rolleyes: and if this weather continues much longer subs might be an alternative mode of transport:(

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just a bit further down from Pete and we've even got our own swimming pool in the middle of the A39 --- and a really nice little breeze to keep us fresh --- gusting at around 60mph as I type. (Do we still 'type' nowadays?):)
And the sun's going to come out on Sunday.......perhaps.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
P.S. Suppose I should have explained.......................the SUN is a bright shiny thing very occasionally spotted in the daytime sky.
I seem to remember that it can make going for a bike ride a very pleasant experience.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
P.S. Suppose I should have explained.......................the SUN is a bright shiny thing very occasionally spotted in the daytime sky.
I seem to remember that it can make going for a bike ride a very pleasant experience.
It visited us on the South London/Surrey border yesterday. It was in a mischievous mood, playing hide and seek behind some clouds.