Handlebar change

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
My Tasman has very wide handlebars - 63cm, in fact. I also have a Mirrcycle mirror fitted which is the best mirror I have come across in 60 years cycling experience and which, therefore, I intend to keep using. Of course, mounting in the bar end, it also adds to the width of the bars

Unfortunately, my house has a narrowish side passage and while I can get the bike through, it requires a bit of a contortion. So, I am looking for replacement handlebars.

Everywhere I look, the replacement bars seem to be drops. Does anyone know a supplier with a decent range. Google searches don't turn up much useful, since I wish to keep to upright style swept back bars on the bike, not straights.

Can they be custom made at not too great an expense? All expertise gratefully received. I'm getting tired of twisting my back around :(

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Lemmy

I think that the handlebars on the Tasman are the Humpert (now Ergotec) Stuttgarter shown here.

Judging by the overall width that you give, they would probably be the alloy ones at the bottom (model 17112000) which are shown as 590mm centre to centre.

I have fitted the slightly narrower set shown second from bottom (model 17075000) to my ProConnect which are listed on the excellent ebay link to Practical Cycles given by d8veh above.

They are listed as 550mm centre to centre of the tube and measure 585mm to the outside of the Ergon grips. Very comfortable ride.

James

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Have you considered taking a hacksaw to them, or would you need to take too much off?
I have looked at that but even an inch off pushes the right hand brake too far onto the bend in the bar putting it in an awkward relation to the twist shift.

I think that the handlebars on the Tasman are the Humpert (now Ergotec) Stuttgarter
Quite likely - mine seem to measure 63cm centre to centre, though.

I'm going to explore fitting a Rapid Fire shift instead of the twist grip. That may save some 'bar real estate and give me a few more options.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
What about twisting the handlebars around?

The reason I say that is Jannie did not like the way the handlebars sat on her Tonaro Compy and so I turned them round and she loves then.

Probably won`t work with yours but it an idea.

Steve

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks. The trouble is, it's the width I want to reduce. The bars are very comfortable but the width impedes access to my garden through a narrow passage.