Handlebars

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Hi, I have recently bought an ecco folding electric bike and want to know if I can have higher handlebars put on it, the height is to low for me making my wrists and palms hurt, I don't need to be able to fold it as we use a cycle carrier on the car, many thanks

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm sure it can be done. Post a picture of the current setup and someone will be able to advise you.....

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I think you can change the bars easy enough, the problem will be extending all the cables - Brakes, shifters, throttle, control panel etc. - there doesn't look like much slack.

How much higher do you want them to be?

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I think you can change the bars easy enough, the problem will be extending all the cables - Brakes, shifters, throttle, control panel etc. - there doesn't look like much slack.

How much higher do you want them to be?
A couple of inches might make the difference, Kevin thinks there might be that much with the cables, I'd have liked to have had the stem changed the same as I did on my manual bike, I think we'll take it into a shop after the weekend. We're off to wales for a couple of days with the bikes and dog.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi.They look pretty hi to me already !!! have you tried to loosen all the things on the handle bar and then loosen and turn the handle bar to a better position for you and then adjust al the brakes again and retighten it all??
Regards Steve.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Hi.They look pretty hi to me already !!! have you tried to loosen all the things on the handle bar and then loosen and turn the handle bar to a better position for you and then adjust al the brakes again and retighten it all??
Regards Steve.
I think kevin has tried that but that brought the bars nearer to me not just higher and I lost the space between seat and bars, the problem is I'm overweight but was fine on my manual bike as I had the bars/stem changed so I sat quite upright, because this bike has more length between the seat and bars I have to lean more forward which means the weight is on my wrists and palms. I like the extra space and much lower stepthrough though, before this bike we did buy a much bigger upright electric one but I fell off it at Rutland mainly because it was just to heavy for me to hold up when I had to stop sharp ( a gate in front), I couldn't even lift the bike of me. This one is ideal weightwise as I can lift and move it, I hope I can find a solution :(

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
I think kevin has tried that but that brought the bars nearer to me not just higher and I lost the space between seat and bars, the problem is I'm overweight but was fine on my manual bike as I had the bars/stem changed so I sat quite upright, because this bike has more length between the seat and bars I have to lean more forward which means the weight is on my wrists and palms. I like the extra space and much lower stepthrough though, before this bike we did buy a much bigger upright electric one but I fell off it at Rutland mainly because it was just to heavy for me to hold up when I had to stop sharp ( a gate in front), I couldn't even lift the bike of me. This one is ideal weightwise as I can lift and move it, I hope I can find a solution :(
Go into a good cycle shop and explain the problem and see what different handle bars they have to rise them up a little way and you will be amazed at how many different types they will have and might make all the difference.
Steve.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Go into a good cycle shop and explain the problem and see what different handle bars they have to rise them up a little way and you will be amazed at how many different types they will have and might make all the difference.
Steve.
thanks we will, my father whos in his 80's had the other one he's a big man still and loves it, I suppose if we don't have any luck we'll just have to start looking again so I hope the shop can help.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Thinking of other ways around proplem. Will fitting ergonomic grips help?
A wider contact area and changing the wrist angle may alleviate symptoms.
Also check saddle is not tilted forward too far which would put more weight on hands as you push to stay back on saddle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ann, the webpage below gives a large range of riser handlebars to show what is available. The Thorn Mark 2 Comfort ones in silver or black on page 2 seem to offer what you want, assuming their mounting size is ok:

Riser handlebars at St Johns Cycles

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Worth pulling out the black plug on the top of the steerer to see what's underneath.

You may be able to mount a longer stem, which would be good because that would save transferring all the stuff from one handlebar to another.

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
I had the same problem with my folder, aching wrists, fingers, thumbs and back. Changed them for a 'swept back' style, cables were just long enough. What a difference, no more aching and the bike handles so much better too!

Reactions: trex

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My folder's stem was the other way, too high, so I used some moderate riser bars upside down to correct that:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Looking at the photo, there's already an awful lot of leverage on the headstock:
Putting an even longer stem on might well end up with your nose on the front tyre in an emergency stop.