Has ANYONE bought a BionX kit?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
US prices are very often much lower for a variety of goods. No really satisfactory explanation is ever offered for this, other than the rather weak "size of the market" one.

I remember in the earlier days of CDs when they commonly cost around £14 here and about half that in the USA.

The other discrepancy can be warranties. I remember at one time Sony having the usual one year for the UK on all items but from two to five years depending on item in the USA.

The phenomenon generally known as Rip Off Britain. :(

C

Cyclezee

I've already spoken with NYCewheels and unfortunately they don't ship to the U.K. and understandably as there are warranty/suppport implications for both buyer and seller. At those prices in UK terms I would be very interested in the PL 250.
Regards vectra
The PL-350 kit I owned was supplied to the original purchaser in the UK by NYCE Wheels, the original receipt was for $2092:eek: . My guess is that now there is a UK distributor, they are not allowed to sell here.

J:) hn

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Bionx kits built after May 2009 use a different battery with can-bus so this hack would not work. Maybe there is a more up to date thread?

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Bionx kits built after May 2009 use a different battery with can-bus so this hack would not work. Maybe there is a more up to date thread?
True. But really was showing it could be hacked.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
At the risk of labouring a point there is a big difference between replacing the battery on a pre Can-bus system and post Can-bus. You could only replace the cells using the original BMS but how it all interacts with the other bits of the system is anyones guess. Hopefully it might work but not something for your average tinkerer.

Controller area network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
To clarify my point about 30 months: I did not notice any drop in battery performance in those first 30 months. The battery is still very useable now, at about 40 months I think it is, but does not last as long.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
To clarify my point about 30 months: I did not notice any drop in battery performance in those first 30 months. The battery is still very useable now, at about 40 months I think it is, but does not last as long.
Nick: how many miles?

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
At the risk of labouring a point there is a big difference between replacing the battery on a pre Can-bus system and post Can-bus. You could only replace the cells using the original BMS but how it all interacts with the other bits of the system is anyones guess. Hopefully it might work but not something for your average tinkerer.

Controller area network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HarryB. I see your point now. Cheers.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
5-6000 miles I think. I managed to reset the mileage once without beig 100% sure what it was before :eek:

Mainly full assist for that time.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
5-6000 miles I think. I managed to reset the mileage once without beig 100% sure what it was before :eek:

Mainly full assist for that time.
geez - that's nearing on 10,000K in my language! well done