Has anyone moded there tongsheng tdz2 36v 250w with open source firmware?

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
Hi all there seems to be open source firmware for the tongsheng tdz2, i have the 36v 250w vertion, about 4 years old and have the vlc5 display.
But it would be great if the moter could be tweaked to give a bit more (grunt).
Has anyone tweaked there tdz2 36v 250w ,and are there advantages .
I know you need programming cable for the moter,not sure about my older display ,info seems to be on the 850 display.

thanks all

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
Hi,

There is a version of the software that uses the stock VCL5 display.
I have used it and it works pretty well.
Software and details are here https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1/wiki.

There is a great thread on the subject that describes in great detail how to go about it
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/experiences-with-open-source-firmware-on-the-tongsheng-tsdz2.39384/ that should answer most of your queries.

The software will give a bit more power but in a more controllable and responsive way.

Tim

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
As a bit of an aside, I'm looking to source a TSDZ2 (250w or 350w) but am getting the distinct impression that there are some shortages and/or it's dropping out of favour (is the Bafang BBS02 currenly winning the marketing war?)?

For instance @Woosh bikes aren't currently listing the TSDZ2 and I'm wondering why (apart from supply chain issues) that is.

So, anyone bought a TSDZ2 this year and from whom please?

TIA

Last edited:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
As a bit of an aside, I'm looking to source a TSDZ2 (250w or 350w) but am getting the distinct impression that there are some shortages and/or it's dropping out of favour (is the Bafang BBS02 currenly winning the marketing war?)?

For instance @Woosh bikes aren't currently listing the TSDZ2 and I'm wondering why (apart from supply chain issues that is).

So, anyone bought a TSDZ2 this year and from whom please?

TIA
Ive got TSDZ2, BBS02, BBSHD and hub powered bikes.
TBH the TSDZ2 is the one I would not recommend, build is poor, firmware is pants and performance is crap.
If you want a DiY install mid drive get a BBS02, performance is great!

My current favourite ride is a YOSE 350w hub motor, using a KT controller and running at 48v.
Performance is astounding, pulls like a train!

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
..... TBH the TSDZ2 is the one I would not recommend, build is poor, firmware is pants and performance is crap. ...........
Hi Monty, the main reason I was looking at the TSDZ2 was the torque controlling aspect whereby the amount of electrical assist is proportional to the rider's pedalling effort.

Your comments and experiences of the TSDZ2 have now raised a question mark on my thinking.

Is the same type of 'torque simulation' achieveable (via programming) on the BBS motors as I don't really want an ebike that can be just propelled by 'ghost pedalling'.

Last edited:

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
The tsdz2 control system does not simulate torque it measures it and provides an assistance proportional to the measured torque.

As I understand it (and am open to correction) "torque simulation" is a term applied to controllers that control the current at particular power settings, thus controlling the motor torque and power to a set average value. That power is switched on and off by the user pedaling and the actual cadence probably does not effect the power much.

I believe the Baffang M series of motors have torque control so that might give you what you need.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT controllers use torque simulation.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Thanks @TJS109 and @Nealh for your comments.
  • I'm aware that the TSDZ2 has a built in torque sensor as part of its controlling function and that the KT controllers employ 'torque simulation' - in fact I swapped the crappy Pendleton ebike OEM controller for a KT one and the torque simulation transformed the ride experience
  • I want to fit a mid drive motor to one of my bikes which leaves me with choosing the TongSheng TSDZ2 or one of the Bafang BBSxx range.
  • The TSDZ2 is my favoured choice as it has the torque sensor to give me the type of ride experience I'm looking for.
  • As I understand, the BBSxx motors DO NOT have a similar torque/torque simulation feature either in the OEM firmware or any of the modified firmware versions - am I correct in this?
  • Some forum members have commented that the BBSxx motors are of a better quality than the TSDZ2 (but there's plenty of alternative opinion too of course) but for me, I'd be prepared to accept any shortcomings in the TSDZ2 in exchange for the torque sensor.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I have a 36v TSDZ2 mid drive built into a Nuvinci 360 hubbed bike.

The TSDZ2 is a great unit, very nice to ride. It measures and multiplies the torque put into the cranks, very intuitive imho.

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018

The TSDZ2 is a great unit, very nice to ride. It measures and multiplies the torque put into the cranks, very intuitive imho.
Hi all there seems to be open source firmware for the tongsheng tdz2, i have the 36v 250w vertion, about 4 years old and have the vlc5 display.
I know you need programming cable for the moter,not sure about my older display ,info seems to be on the 850 display.

thanks all

thanks all
[/QUOT

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
Thanks aii for replies, i have ordered the tdz programing ca ble from the us,
As of yet have not delved into the emmebrusa firmware,but as the tdz2. 250/350/500 units all seem to be the same except for firmware?
I wish to set tdz to either 350 or 500 setting.
I find my tdz2 at 60nm a better hillclimber than my bosch powered active line at 50 nm.
I also have yosepower 350w rear hub moter on my kudos vita uno, with supplied kt controller, but find on the flat throttle on 5 assist about 18mph, hill climbing pretty poor (250w original moter was better)
Using with yosepower 17ah battery at about 22 miles it cuts out and will not run unless a lower assist level is set.

montypas cannot find your kt model 9s controller ? 48v,
I have a 48v kt but so many wires and no 48battery,

hence trying tdz2 firmware hack in the near future.

thank you all