Has anyone tried or bought an Emotion bike?

echevajo

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Miami
If I would like to be patriotic I would have a bit of a mess in my head. Got a Brit passport since I was born (and still miss the old black thing) a Spanish one that I use regularly, and pretty soon a blue American one so that I can have something different from the standard EU red ones.
But your advice is useful as usual

Thanks!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If I would like to be patriotic I would have a bit of a mess in my head. Got a Brit passport since I was born (and still miss the old black thing) a Spanish one that I use regularly, and pretty soon a blue American one so that I can have something different from the standard EU red ones.
But you know the saying, "When in Rome - - - - ". :D

Aviator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 28, 2009
Fully agree with Aviator’s comment on undergearing so I’m going to start the modifications process beginning by the 11T sprocket (thanks for the tip Flecc!) and once comfortable with it will probably move forward with the cassette substitution. Living in a flat place like Florida, I don’t think that range will ever become an issue.

Aviator/Flecc, any suggestion for the cassette?

Thanks and Best

John
John as the original cassette is a Shimano HG40 I kept with that model to be sure that there would be no problem with the derailleur. I opted for 11-30 they also do 32T and 34T. As I say I kept the HG40 as I wasn't sure that other models of cassette would work. However in view of what Flecc has recommended I could have been quite wrong.

Martin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All the 8 speed cassettes with 30 tooth sprockets or less should work ok with the various rear mechanisms on the BH Emotions, whether Shimano or SRAM. Shimano sprockets are generally made to have very slightly slicker gear changing, but the difference isn't great enough to be noticeable in isolation.

mahaca1

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
I have the Cross De Luxe and after a couple of modifications now feel I have a very satisfactory bike to ride.

On first using the bike I found it significantly under geared, even without using the motor. Pedaling at such a low cadence to maximise motor support did not feel at all natural. First change was the 14-28 cassette (which had identical 15T cog for 6th and 7th gear!) to 11-30. This gave 2 higher gears and 1 lower from the original cassette. Performance was improved but the range now limited. I still found the cadence an issue.

The second mod was to replace the 9T motor sprocket with an 11T. This improved the performance as far as I am concerned quite dramatically. Although I have not recorded the performance in a scientific way but I believe that I now have motor assistance up to around 20mph in top gear with not an unreasonable cadence rate. Also because I am now getting a greater assistance at lower speeds (possibly maximum power to 15mph) I tend to operate the Eco setting as the normal. By doing so the range is almost back to that achieved prior to the mods.

I accept that the manufacturer is not at fault for the bike's original configuration (except perhaps identical 6th & 7th gearing) as they need to comply with the law. So any criticism about the performance would apply to all bikes similarly fitted with the Panasonic system.

Martin
Hello Martin, Where did you get the 11T motor sprocket ?, I'm looking for the e-motion cross deluxe (1619 € in a shop of Madrid
Otero - Eléctricas, and I'd like to make the same couple of modifications as you.
thanks

Last edited:

mahaca1

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
Here's the link for you mahaca1

50cycles contact page
Aviator, Flec, thanks a lot,
Yesterday I was in Festibike in Madrid, this year there is a explosion of e-bikes, Kalkhoff also has a stand with the new Pro-Conect with 300 watts, but I only can test an Agattu, (at last I ride a Kalkhoff bike and was great.
Also there is a representant in spain of Helkama, Flyer, OHM - IN BICYCLE WE TRUST - non stop bikes ***** We Belive, It's possible to test all of then in the Retiro park of Madrid. They have an automatic geared electric bike from Helkama (E3200A).
Also, I could ride the KTM eCROSS with bionx, and it likes me with its 300% of assistant.
best regards

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mahaca1, as you now have a BikeTech Flyer agent in Spain now, you can buy an 11 tooth sprocket through them as well. These 11 tooth sprockets are from the high speed "S" version of the Panasonic motor unit and only BikeTech Flyer and Kalkhoff use them.

mahaca1

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
Mahaca1, as you now have a BikeTech Flyer agent in Spain now, you can buy an 11 tooth sprocket through them as well. These 11 tooth sprockets are from the high speed "S" version of the Panasonic motor unit and only BikeTech Flyer and Kalkhoff use them.
The agent told me that they don't import the high speed models, but I'll ask if they have the 11 tooth sprocket, before contact with 50 cycles.
thanks

greyhound_dog_1

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2009
E-motion cadence

Hi all,

I've ressurected this thread, as I have recently tested a handful of e-bikes at OnBike. These were the first e-bikes I have ever ridden, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Anyway, I tried the Ezee Sprint, Wisper, and e-motion (City and cross models). In summary, Ezee sprint = torquey up hills, poor handling. Wisper = ok up hills, less powerful, doesn't feel as well built, difficulty with gear shifter and throttle location, handles better than Ezee. Also found thottle control bikes in general a bit cumbersome to hold down throttle on full twist all the time.

E-motion bikes feel sharp, wasn't a fan of upright city geometry, preferred the more 'pointy' mtb style cross bike. The e-motion cross was the only bike that handled sharply enough for me.

Only downside with e-motion was, as described by a few posters here, the cadence issue. I hadn't read about it beforehand, but found due to the gearing and power vs cadence behaviour, I couldn't ascent hills as fast as I would like to. Not without standing up on the pedals anyway. In fact I'm sure I could go up hills faster on my lightweight mtb by using a more efficient gear. I also found I don't like being forced to pedal slower in general on the flat if I want assistance, it's less efficient and doesn't feel 'right'.

Basically, I've read posts about people suggesting 11 tooth sprocket mods and rear cassette mods, taking power up to 23 mph, and I have concerns about riding an illegal bike, and was wondering if there is a way to modify this bike without it becoming illegal...? Or 'noticibly illegal' anyway.

Anyone who rides a modified e-motion, please let me know what you have done and how it feels. How far do modifications need to go to get it feeling right?

I'm aiming to try a Cytronex at some point soon, to compare.

Andy

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Less powerful?

Hi

It is unusual for a Wisper to be described as less powerful and lower quality than other bikes, I wonder if the battery was fully charged? The huge Wisper battery capacity does mean that the bikes are often left for a long time without charging, I will call Phil to check. Regarding pulling out into traffic, this is main reason we fit a throttle so you can get maximum power immediately you set off.

The E motion is also a superb bike but very different from Wisper it really is down to personal preference.

Thanks for trying the Wisper!

All the best David