Has my Wisper reached end of life?

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Hi all

I have had my Wisper 905 since 2008 and it's been great. But, the last few weeks, the following has happened:

- "chugging noise" from the motor, which is much louder when using the throttle
- throttle doesn't always work (unless I am pedalling)
- occasional jerky movement using throttle

So, has the motor had it? I have used the bike pretty much most days for five years. But, I am guessing it is probably not worth repairing it, if that is even possible.

Many thanks

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi all

I have had my Wisper 905 since 2008 and it's been great. But, the last few weeks, the following has happened:

- "chugging noise" from the motor, which is much louder when using the throttle
- throttle doesn't always work (unless I am pedalling)
- occasional jerky movement using throttle

So, has the motor had it? I have used the bike pretty much most days for five years. But, I am guessing it is probably not worth repairing it, if that is even possible.

Many thanks

Hi Oregon,

I do not think it is right of me to tell you the next ebike to buy, but I will give you a slight hint.
David's ebikes all ride gracefully and I am sure that i'm not the only one to say this, I hope this helps you with your decision.

MS.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The faults may be as simple as a new set of the nylon internal gears in the motor, plus an unreliable connection in one of the sensor leads between controller and motor. As Atmosphere says, worth getting an e-bike dealer to check it out for you.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
We service plenty of the older Wispers and get them enjoying a new lease of life.

Maybe its not as bad as it seems so why not get a good local ebike shop to have a look for you

Unfortunately, in many parts of the uk, Good+Local+Ebike shop = Oxymoron :confused:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Servicing Cycles' isn't that hard! a good clean up all round adjustments made and should be good to go!

Mind you the electrifying of the wheels makes it interesting, but electric motors rarely fail,sounds like the motor and gears need a wrangle, simple enough to get the wheel out and back to the dealer or manufactor for refurbishment.

No need to junk the bike yet, there are bikes out there older than their owners'!

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi If the Battery is still Good

I am sure that wisper will have a spare motor in a wheel just contact wisper support for a prices well worth doing

Frank

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The big question is whether after 5 years the battery has any real life left in it?
If the battery is heading toward end of life a new bike maybe cheaper than repairs and a new battery plus you get a new frame and components and a warranty

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there has been so much progress since 2008: sine wave controller, crank drive, more powerful motors. If oregon renews only the motor and battery, it's still an old electric bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Oregon,

Obviously I don't know what the problem is, however please don't think it's the end of the road for your Wisper. The bike is well built and I would imagine will not be a problem to repair. We have parts for all our bikes going back seven years.

I would in the first instance speak to your supplier or alternatively find a local Wisper dealer or contact us at support@wisperbikes.com

Please let me know how you get on!

All the best

David

P.S. Of course you can have a look at one of our new shiny Wisper Classics, they have come on a long way in the last five years, although you will recognise the style, the power and handling have improved dramatically!

Last edited: