Hauling heavy loads in steep hills.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My cars are currently, and have been for the most part insured, I was at one point in my life sloppy with paying my bills, (theres a long story here, but the bill wasn't paid)
Most countries have some sort of scheme to cope with uninsured vehicles, and I'd think Norway would.

Here in the UK for example the Motor Insurers Bureau covers uninsured claims, the whole motor insurance industry covering the costs arising from that.

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
Most countries have some sort of scheme to cope with uninsured vehicles, and I'd think Norway would.

Here in the UK for example the Motor Insurers Bureau covers uninsured claims, the whole motor insurance industry covering the costs arising from that.
I have no clue how this works anywhere else, but I know how it works here.
If my car is uninsured and I crash into your car, breaking your leg or something. the crash was my fault, so I have to cover expenses, both to fix your car, and your medical bills, and maybe other expenses (you might not be able to work for a couple months and so on)
In this case you may have a claim for 30-40000£.
In this case your insurance company would give you the money, and then they would make me pay them the money+their expenses. this would be a really bad thing for me, putting me 40-50k£ in debt to them, but for you it would be the same as if I had insurance...
If none of us have insurance you still have the same claim, but you have to claim it for me personally, and you don't get anything before i pay up. So insurance is really only for your own sake, and only useful if you make a mistake.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have no clue how this works anywhere else, but I know how it works here.
If my car is uninsured and I crash into your car, breaking your leg or something. the crash was my fault, so I have to cover expenses, both to fix your car, and your medical bills, and maybe other expenses (you might not be able to work for a couple months and so on)
In this case you may have a claim for 30-40000£.
In this case your insurance company would give you the money, and then they would make me pay them the money+their expenses. this would be a really bad thing for me, putting me 40-50k£ in debt to them, but for you it would be the same as if I had insurance...
If none of us have insurance you still have the same claim, but you have to claim it for me personally, and you don't get anything before i pay up. So insurance is really only for your own sake, and only useful if you make a mistake.
The costs are also claimed back from uninsured drivers here who cause accidents, but at least the costs are covered meanwhile by the Motor Insurers Bureau, so no waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Well, I have had a head on crash at 70km/h with my old VW bus, I did not have insurance at the time of the accident.
I got full coverage for my wrecked bus from the opposing drivers insurance company, only reaction to me not having insurance was that the police took the license plates from my then wrecked car on site. If the accident was my fault I would have to pay for the repairs of his car, that would be bad. But how much damage can a bike really do?

Ofc, I will be fined for driving a unregistered vehicle if the police finds out, that fine i know from experience is 4000NOK, and a chance I'm willing to take because I am as you all now know a hardened criminal:)

One cannot assume that the legal position will be similar in different states so transposing UK practices to other countries with a different history is fraught. If you suffered a head on collision then by definition either you or the other driver was on the incorrect side of the road. From the fact that you received compensation from the other insurance company indicated to me that in that instance you were not at fault. The police can still prosecute if they identify a failure in proper documentation or defects in the vehicle
Had the fault be assigned to you, UK Irish practice would have listed you as an uninsured driver and while the police would prosecute and courts would impose a fine, that could be the least of your difficulties. The victim would be entitled to sue you for any damages, medical bills etc and this could bankrupt you.
If there was an accident where both parties were partially to blame, then the other party could look at defects in your car or bike as mitigation on their part, thus increasing your liability. The innocent party will receive compensation from either their health insurance or the motor insurance industry, but that then entitles these companies to persue you via the courts.

• Informative

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
From what I read, its mostly the same.
If both parties are partially to blame, then a fault in my car can be used against me. BUT it has to be relevant. in a head on collision on a narrow road, my speed, worn tires, bad brakes or even a headlight fault can be used to make me liable. however a rear foglight not working or a engine emissions problem is completely irrelevant to the case, therefor cannot be used against me. However the police can still fine me for driving a vehicle with a bad rear tail light (don't think thats actually something they do, but if they did they could)

• Informative

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
Back on topic anyone?
Her current bike is broken, got a working battery and it worked for 10 minutes, the display has been a suspect for a while, as the leds showing power level hasn't worked for months. opened it and bingo, power in to the display was loose and there was black marks mulitple places on the pcb.
Is there any chance this can be bought new somewhere? I had hoped I could sell the bike as working soon...

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

There's two types: analogue and digital (5 and 4 wires). The analogue ones with lights also have 5 wires, but are still not compatible with the digital controllers. Can you show a photo of the inside?

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
There's two types: analogue and digital (5 and 4 wires). The analogue ones with lights also have 5 wires, but are still not compatible with the digital controllers. Can you show a photo of the inside?
Here, I got the "new type" from a local shop, but the plug is wrong, and i dont want to change the plug on a 70£ part without knowing that it works first...

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm pretty sure that's an analogue one. That looks like a row of resistors along the bottom to divise the voltage for the analogue output. Normal configuration is:

Red wire in = battery supply (VCC)
Blue wire out = switched battery supply to the controller (K for key?)
Green wire out: 1v level 1, 2v level 2, 3v level3, 4v walk assist (OUT?)
Black wire = ground (GND)
5the wire (yellow?) = lights battery voltage (something +)

The digital ones will have:
Red wire in = battery supply (VCC)
Blue wire out = switched battery supply to the controller (K or something +)
Green wire out: data (TX)
Black wire = ground (GND)
Yellow =data (RX)

Sometimes the colours are different, but those are the most common.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing and Renax

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
@d8veh: thanks, But the one I have have 5 power levels, never tested them to see if they are actually different, but there are 5 LED's.
Seems like my old one is analogue, also cause the green wire is clearly labeled "out" not "TX".

I have trouble finding them, the lokal ebike shop said they have been off the market for years.
I found this, has the same functions (including light), but only 3 pas output levels, you think it would work?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-DISPLAY-MANUAL-control-panel-for-electric-bike-scooter-conversion-parts-lithium-battery-bike-instrument-intelligent/32378365377.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.14.QnT60r

The other option the local shop recommended was to change both controller and display, for a price higher than I originally payed for the whole bike..., but I see there are some cheap ones, (at this point I think even the cheap ones will be a upgrade)

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
Got the Bafang kit yesterday. All pretty straightforward to mount, exept for the brake switch (witch I planned to use as a "clutch" while shifting gears). I ordered for Hydraulic brakes and got that (i think) but I can't figure out how to mount it on a Deore handle?
For now I'll just let the gears suffer, it doesn't sound to bad if I just let of a bit of power on the pedals when shifting, just like you'd do on a normal bike.

The gearset is too high, 44t in front and 11-32 in the rear result in only the first gear can't reach 25km/h on motor power. Already ordered 32t front gear with adapter.

But with just some dry runs (without the trailer) for now it works perfectly, just as good as the hype!
Sorry no pics yet, will come later..

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The gearset is too high, 44t in front and 11-32 in the rear result in only the first gear can't reach 25km/h on motor power. Already ordered 32t front gear with adapter.
That is my pet peeve with most crank drives, they come with gearing that is way to high for 26" drive wheel as it wont allow them to spin freely on hills.
Having said that they are well suited to 20" rear wheels out of the box :)
With the 32 front ring you will have similar gearing to my trike, I think you will like it a lot.

Last edited:

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
Update: Clearly capable with the task at hand, had a go on it today, -6C, Snow and ice, two kids in the trailer and out we go, no problem in the hills, apart from the rear wheel spinning on the snow. Raced my father up a hill, and won.
With no pedal input at all, it managed 10-15km/h up the hills, but the wattmeter is pegged at 999w, so probably not the best for the motor, but in the cold weather it didn't even get warm to the touch.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Great news, with the right gearing they superb.
I suspect a BBS01 would have done the job but obviously with less exuberance :)