Help! Have I been sent the wrong size wheel?

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hey guys

So I have just had delivery of my rear motor kit from Cyclotricity and having minimal knowledge of these things I'm not sure if I have been sent the wrong size wheel?

I have a 29er with marathon plus tyres at the moment and the diameter is indeed 29 inches across the tyre. On the Cyclotricity website the size options for 28" 29" and 700c are all the same option as you can see in the first photo. Taking my front wheel off to measure the new rim is definitely smaller than my one maybe by a centimetre or two (its hard to measure exactly without removing the tyre and crank obviously) and its noticeable just by looking at them next to each other. However my marathon plus are marked as 28 on th e tyre as you can see.

So me being a simpleton (in the area of bikes anyway) what am I missing? As you can see the new hub is marked as 28" so how can that be a 29er? My tubes and tyres just wont fit this will they? Please iron my confusion out for me lol.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Tyre sizes are mad, but that is OK. The critical thing is the dimension of the bit of the rim where the tyre sits; for all of those sizes it is 622mm.

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Tyre sizes are mad, but that is OK. The critical thing is the dimension of the bit of the rim where the tyre sits; for all of those sizes it is 622mm.
Mate, I like to think I have half a brain in my head (got GCSE's and everything) but things like this just make me go blank.

So even though the rim is slightly shorter in width the sizes remain the same and my tyres and tubes will fit OK? So does that mean my disc brake will also fit fine on this hub?

* I know I can find out by actually trying the tyre on the wheel but I have my two kids running around today and wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem asap.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
28", 700c & 29" are all banded together as being the same size. However 28" tends to be road bike orientated where rims and tyres are skinny, 700c usually for hybrid /CX bikes that use 19mm/21mm rims with tyres up to about 50mm with less chunky treaded tyres & 29" the newer larger size used instead of 26" for MTB which can use chunky tyres and sizes over 2.25".

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
28", 700c & 29" are all banded together as being the same size. However 28" tends to be road bike orientated where rims and tyres are skinny, 700c usually for hybrid /CX bikes that use 19mm/21mm rims with tyres up to about 50mm with less chunky treaded tyres & 29" the newer larger size used instead of 26" for MTB which can use chunky tyres and sizes over 2.25".
Cheers. I will get the tyre off this eve so hopefully it will be fine. Side note, 5he new hubs rim is bare. Will I need to get some rim tape in there or will it be fine as is?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cheers. I will get the tyre off this eve so hopefully it will be fine. Side note, 5he new hubs rim is bare. Will I need to get some rim tape in there or will it be fine as is?
Your tyre will definitely fit ok, but you must fit a rim tape to protect and support the inner tube. You may be able to reuse your existing one, depending on its type and condition.

Halfords are open if you want a new one.

Reactions: wonderer99

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Your tyre will definitely fit ok, but you must fit a rim tape to protect and support the inner tube. You may be able to reuse your existing one, depending on its type and condition.

Halfords are open if you want a new one.
Looking on Amazon a lot are described as tubeless. Are these universal and OK for normal use as well? For example would this be suitable?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looking on Amazon a lot are described as tubeless. Are these universal and OK for normal use as well? For example would this be suitable?

To be honest I don't know, but they are certainly not necessary with inner tubes and their stronger fibre material might be too coarse.

Normal rim tapes come in wide (about 19mm) and narrow (about 15mm) widths, yours will almost certainly be wide, the narrow ones for roadies skinny wheels and tyres.

700c tape size is for 27 to 29er sizes.

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
To be honest I don't know, but they are certainly not necessary with inner tubes and their stronger fibre material might be too coarse.

Normal rim tapes come in wide (about 19mm) and narrow (about 15mm) widths, yours will almost certainly be wide, the narrow ones for roadies skinny wheels and tyres.

700c tape size is for 27 to 29er sizes.
Thanks. Most of the ones I'm looking at seems to say tubeless. :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks. Most of the ones I'm looking at seems to say tubeless. :confused:
That's probably because people buy very few rim tapes compared to all the tyres and tubes they buy.

It's mainly on the rare occasion of converting from inner tubes to tubeless that they buy a rim tape, often for the first time ever, since their bikes have always had them already.

If you have a Halfords nearby they stock the ordinary ones, I did check. If not, tubeless rim tapes are probably ok, just tougher than necessary.

wonderer99

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
That's probably because people buy very few rim tapes compared to all the tyres and tubes they buy.

It's mainly on the rare occasion of converting from inner tubes to tubeless that they buy a rim tape, often for the first time ever, since their bikes have always had them already.

If you have a Halfords nearby they stock the ordinary ones, I did check.
Ok thanks. I'm reading that clear gorilla tape makes an excellent alternative?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ok thanks. I'm reading that clear gorilla tape makes an excellent alternative?
Yes, there's several suitable alternatives that people have used. You have to take care not to overlap the tyre seating sides though, making the rim a bit big for the tyre.

Dedicated rim tapes usually have the advantages of a precut valve hole and often a buckle of some sort making them length adjustable and removable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't have to use specific rim tape, electrical tape can be used for wrap or two.
I have a roll of tubeless tape which I on all my wheel builds.