Have YOU ever

C

Cyclezee

You can easily guess what prompted me to start this thread:rolleyes:

Just three questions (the deceased need not answer):
  1. Have you ever fallen off or been knocked off a bicycle?
  2. Did you sustain any injuries, minor or serious?
  3. Did it make you consider wearing a helmet?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Not since a child
No
Dont wear helmet now but considering getting one
( cos I've seen a really funky spotty one ) :D :D

Trex 850

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
1.No
2.No
3.No
But after many years of riding motorcycles-last bike was a ZXR750R,,,
no way will I use my ebike now WITHOUT a helmet,,,, that includes short trips to the shops and riding to work.
I work in a hospital and often see the results up close of not wearing one.
Life is too short,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Maybe the the helmet you are considering Lyn isn't really spotty:confused:
:confused: Think I'm missing your joke here (must be tired ):) ......
BUT....go to Cyclechic its called a nutty spotty helmet or something like that £45......love it !:D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
actually its called a Nutcase helmet dotty :D :D
Think it might tempt me to wear one from now on.......
Lynda

C

Cyclezee

:confused: Think I'm missing your joke here (must be tired ):) ......
BUT....go to Cyclechic its called a nutty spotty helmet or something like that £45......love it !:D
I can't see any spots on the helmet Lyn:confused: Have you seen a lot of spots since your fall as a child?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Yes
Yes
Irrelevant as I already was.

I came from a motorbike and I know how 'exciting' the London commute can be on two wheels, I might be a safer rider if I didn't wear one but that's just not going to happen.

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
1. Have you ever fallen off or been knocked off a bicycle? - Yes
2. Did you sustain any injuries, minor or serious? - No
3. Did it make you consider wearing a helmet? - Yes

But I have come off motorbikes and sustained injuries and that makes it a big yes for helmets for motorbikes and bicycles (but it is for others to make their own choice).

Pabs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2010
1. Have you ever fallen off or been knocked off a bicycle? - Yes
2. Did you sustain any injuries, minor or serious? - No
3. Did it make you consider wearing a helmet? - Yes

As I cycle to work and sometimes use the bike for work, I am required to wear a helmet.

Pabs

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Already wearing one

Fallen off - many times - mainly wet leaves in icy conditions but once due to head butting a large cut-back branch in what I thought was light foliage. I was wearing a helmet so no damage.

Not a great believer in helmets but always wear one now as I travel close to trees which have branches sticking out into the road

Went down on purpose (new category). Recently chose this option when the traffic in front stopped suddenly in wet/icy weather in January 2011 (I was travelling assertively at 20mph and, as it turned out, far too close to the car in front. Resultant bruises and probable cartilage damage - only time and a visit to my GP will tell. Knee hip and body damaged no head impact.

Been knocked off or hit. In June 2010 white van man turned right directly in front of me. Again I was travelling at 20mph but this time had no time to take avoiding action. Result - separated shoulder (technical term I believe - it is still attached!). I landed on my shoulder but travelled forward onto my head and, without a helmet I would have suffered some sort of head injury.

So I suppose in my own experience wearing a normal bike helmet has done me no harm and a lot of good.

Friends and family have suggested I am accident prone and should consider alternative transport. The only thing I am considering is body armor.....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I can't see any spots on the helmet Lyn:confused: Have you seen a lot of spots since your fall as a child?
Oh NO.......do you mean to tell me that the helmet of my dreams is really just a boring old plain one ????????
I am SO disappointed........
and I only fell over a wall, thru a hedge and landed on a concrete driveway.....nothing serious :D :D

Lynda :)

C

Cyclezee

Fallen off - many times - mainly wet leaves in icy conditions but once due to head butting a large cut-back branch in what I thought was light foliage. I was wearing a helmet so no damage.

Not a great believer in helmets but always wear one now as I travel close to trees which have branches sticking out into the road

Went down on purpose (new category). Recently chose this option when the traffic in front stopped suddenly in wet/icy weather in January 2011 (I was travelling assertively at 20mph and, as it turned out, far too close to the car in front. Resultant bruises and probable cartilage damage - only time and a visit to my GP will tell. Knee hip and body damaged no head impact.

Been knocked off or hit. In June 2010 white van man turned right directly in front of me. Again I was travelling at 20mph but this time had no time to take avoiding action. Result - separated shoulder (technical term I believe - it is still attached!). I landed on my shoulder but travelled forward onto my head and, without a helmet I would have suffered some sort of head injury.

So I suppose in my own experience wearing a normal bike helmet has done me no harm and a lot of good.

Friends and family have suggested I am accident prone and should consider alternative transport. The only thing I am considering is body armor.....
Really sorry to hear about your latest tumble and hope you fully recover soon Conal. OK, enough sympathy, how is the Forza?

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
1. Have I ever been knocked off etc.

Yes, when I was 10, trying to cross the Eastern Avenue in Romford.

2. Injuries?

Very minor head wound - got taken to hospital in an ambulance, but thrown out again same day.

3. Did it prompt me to wear an elmet?

Don't think there WERE helmets in the 1950s. As it happens, I do wear one these days, but it's mainly to (a) provide a mount for my flashing red rear light (on the back) and occasionally (b) my camera (on the front). Also, I've coloured it reflective yellow with gaffer tape, which makes me conspicuous (or as my missus says, makes me look like a Duck).

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't think there WERE helmets in the 1950s.
As you say, not cycle helmets. The first consumer motorcycle helmet, the "Corker" arrived in the mid 1950s but compulsion for m/c helmets didn't arrive until 1973.

It was about then when cycle helmets first started to make an appearance but it wasn't until the expansion of cycling from the 1990s that their usage spread. Last figure for UK adoption that I saw was 23%.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
1. Have you ever fallen off or been knocked off a bicycle? Yes
2. Did you sustain any injuries, minor or serious? Yes - Minor
3. Did it make you consider wearing a helmet? No - They didn't exist

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
You can easily guess what prompted me to start this thread:rolleyes:

Just three questions (the deceased need not answer):
  1. Have you ever fallen off or been knocked off a bicycle?
  2. Did you sustain any injuries, minor or serious?
  3. Did it make you consider wearing a helmet?
1. yes- a mountain bike on a black run route
2. was wearing a helmet but landed on handlebar end just below ribs, after flying through air.....spectacular crash !!!! blokes over 50 dont bounce ......
hospital...... operation 3 months later.......no golf for one season...no biking for couple of years.....no more mountain biking...ever !!!!!
back to bikes with an e bike.......
3. wear helmet when its cold and or raining and its useful for attaching camcorder. i must be getting old/soft.....rode bikes without helmet for about 45 years ! someone said i look like a german tank commander wearing my 'bern'.........