Head gear

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi my love ones,

I am looking into changing my cycle helmet soon,i've had searched ebay for helmets with air vents which can be opened or closed at your own discretion,but with no luck.
Any links please?

Mountainsport. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Ooooooooh....who is in a mischievous mood today lol ......starting another helmet debate ;)

OK....I will start......I NEVER wear one, but I believe RoadieRoger is keen on a certain design :p

Lynda :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My beanie was pretty cheap and keeps my bald head nice and warm :p

I guess you could get one of those and cut hole flaps in it.

On a serious note I wore a helemt for the first year when I started commuting three years ago. One day I took it off and felt so much more part of my ride that I never put it on again. I liken it to opening a window. Without one it seems like I am so much more part of the ride experience than when I wore one.

If I am honest I still have moments when I wonder if I should wear a helmet, usually when someone details an incident where they were wearing one and fell off/crashed and ended up with a big dent in the helmet.

As a child I spent hours on my bikes and never wore one. No one did back then. I continue to resist the need to wear one...

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I know :p

Grabs the popcorn.

PS its a bit like the medical profession today telling me I should get the flu jab every year (I am type one diabetic) even though I consistently don't ever get the flu or any cold really since I took up riding my bike to work every day.

Don't even get me started on statins!

This might be my next beanie

Jerry

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
As a child I spent hours on my bikes and never wore one. No one did back then. I continue to resist the need to wear one...
Nether did I, and continued with out one on scooters and motor bikes (as was the norm in the 60's) ... till 2 friends died, which kinda changed my mind.

Life is short enough as it is, with out letting an accident make it even shorter.. and I'm sure Lawrence of Arabia would agree.

Its freedom of choice though :p

C

Cyclezee

Hi Mountainsport,

You could just drill lots of holes in your existing helmet and cover them with duct tape at your discretion.

PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS WHILST WEARING IT UNLESS YOU HAVE PRIOR EXPERIENCE OF NEUROSURGERY!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
If I am honest I still have moments when I wonder if I should wear a helmet, usually when someone details an incident where they were wearing one and fell off/crashed and ended up with a big dent in the helmet.
Have to admit I wear one more after winding up on a stretcher with a head injury after slamming into a brick wall. However still not all the time. Probably should - it doesn't take much or a high speed to wind up with a very painful and debilitating injury, but I am still skeptical as to how much impact is actually absorbed by those things. Most of the time I feel like I'm more at risk of being garotted in the event of an impact - chin straps are blooming awful things !

Mountainsport, I wear a close-fitting beanie hat under helmet for protection from cold and wind which can be removed (admittedly not in-ride) if I get hot. I know this is also not meant to be done, but it works very well.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
An Aldi or Lidl Snowboard helmet will do you nicely . They are very comfortable , have 8 vents and an Active ventilation slider on the top to control the air supply .Some on here worried that they might be too warm in Summer .Well I can reassure them that this is not the case as it`s Summer here in S.Wales with 13C and my head stayed cool . Lynda is thinking of one , but will have to wait for the Skiing Season now .

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
I always wear a helmet, as I would prefer not to do my head in if I fell off my bike. .Mind you plenty of other things do my head in.......such as wasting £10 million pounds on Maggie's......but that's another topic entirely.

My current helmet is a Giro with 20 holes. Wore it the other week when it was 5C, and my head was lovely and warm.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
. Lynda is thinking of one , but will have to wait for the Skiing Season now .
Oh NO....do you mean Ive missed my chance of getting one Roger ? ........devastated......when does the next skiing season start.....be sure to let me know when they are available again ( Somehow Im sure you will lol ) ;) ROFLMAO

Lynda :)

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
My helmet must have been too tight for my head Lynda , as after being told to change my password after 891 days , I couldn`t work out how to get back on here ! If I cannot repeat the feat, in the words of Capt. Oates , `I may be some time `.