Heads Up to Stolen Bike

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I would have gone and got it myself, and this sorry tale shows that it would have been the best plan.

ajb9

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2012
newhaven east sussex
As a retired police officer, who worked at Newhaven police station i can only say i agree with everybody,s thoughts that the police officer,s of today are worse than useless.
they will not or can,t solve a simple crime like this.

we would have seen the reported crime the next day and also seen the reported finding of the bike and matched up the two.

Now a days the reports are put on a central computer and never checked,
and that,s called progress

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ah well won't have to eat my words, as it proves plods are clue less.
Also seems to me now that the seller probably knows who took it in the first place and reporting it as found abandoned covers himself !!!

Reactions: SRS

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
The day that that Ebay advert appeared, I informed the seller that the bike was stolen and I showed him the picture of the serial number. I asked him to get in touch with SRS through this forum so that he could get it back. It seems that the seller is not quite as honest as he's making out.
d8veh that is most interesting, no menion from of that at all.
We have to remember that it was the Ebayers friend that found the bike and not the Ebayer himself. Still it does not explain why he did not get in touch.

An interesting comment passed to me by the police from the finder is that he is out of pocket, spent time cleaning the bike and also fitted to new tyres.

I fitted two new tyres a week or two before it was nicked. Can't wait to see the bike and finder in person. If they are my tyres, then some lies are taking place.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
As a retired police officer, who worked at Newhaven police station i can only say i agree with everybody,s thoughts that the police officer,s of today are worse than useless.
they will not or can,t solve a simple crime like this.

we would have seen the reported crime the next day and also seen the reported finding of the bike and matched up the two.

Now a days the reports are put on a central computer and never checked,
and that,s called progress
I'm absolutely lost for words over this.

When I was interviewed by the DC earlier in the week, the first thing he said after looking at my past notes was, I see you are very unhappy with the police. Too bloody right I said.

I cannot express on this forum what I truly think about the dreadful service and treatment I have received from Sussex police.

The figues for returned stolen bikes as abysmal, I can now see why.
Sussex police will be getting a bill for all my losses. The needless worry, stress an financial loss is totally down to their incompetence.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012

When I was interviewed by the DC earlier in the week, the first thing he said after looking at my past notes was, I see you are very unhappy with the police. Too bloody right I said.

I cannot express on this forum what I truly think about the dreadful service and treatment I have received from Sussex police.

Sussex police will be getting a bill for all my losses. The needless worry, stress an financial loss is totally down to their incompetence.
Hello SRS I am so sorry to hear that you had gone through such an unpleasant experience and something which we all to also dread. This had happened months ago and again sorry for just now picking up on this.
Please keep the faith and keep strong because something better will soon turn up your way.

MS.

ajb9

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2012
newhaven east sussex

srs,
you need to contact sussex police and make a formal complaint about the way this case was handled.
call in at the police station and ask that the local police commander(who is based in lewes) contact you.
when he does make him come to you, make a statement and it will have to be passed to the profressional standards dept.

they have to then investigate it, any problem,s please pm me.
regards alan

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
SRS, if and when you do go to see the current seller, I'd suggest that you take along some way of recording what is said, and possible request that your local community police officer or what ever they are called these days, goes along with you.
You come across as being completely sound and level headed, but that isn't to say that the person in current possession is.

Ref Newhaven police, one of my sisters used to live in Newhaven, and whilst there, she her identity stolen by a tenant of house that she rented out. Suffice to say that nothing was ever sorted out, despite the police being in possession of not only the girls computer, but documented delivery info for the thousands of pounds worth of clothing and bills etc that she racked up against my sister.
I'm not one for slating the police, and I'd certainly not want to do their job, and we will always need them more than they need us, but sadly it so often seems that something is a miss somewhere.
Thankfully my very limited experiences/encounters with the police have always been fair, even when perhaps they shouldn't have been.

The one positive to thing to come from your sad tale, is that at least it shows that posting stolen bike info onto the forum is worth doing.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
srs,
you need to contact sussex police and make a formal complaint about the way this case was handled.
call in at the police station and ask that the local police commander(who is based in lewes) contact you.
when he does make him come to you, make a statement and it will have to be passed to the profressional standards dept.

they have to then investigate it, any problem,s please pm me.
regards alan
Alan, thanks advice much appreciated and I may well take this route.

This incident is not the first taste I have had of police incompetence (in my opinion) and it is now time to take issue.

Nobody would wish to be without a force and I appreciate their efforts on the most serious crimes. The police do however need to recognise that the so called minor crimes are important to everyday people and act accordingly.

Eddie, your first points noted. Yes, it does show posting stolen bikes on the forum is worthwhile.

Finding the bike is good and I will buy it back if I can. Hopefully its still ok.
I would have preferred to find the criminal but I guess his background will catch up with him eventually.

C

Cyclezee

Hi SRS,

By the way it was good to talk to you the other day and I do hope there is a successful outcome.

I think Alan's advice is good and personally I would do what he suggests.
In addition it may be worth contacting your local press and local radio, OK, it is not going to make headline news and to put it in perspective, we are not talking about terrorism, rape or murder, but clearly the local Police are, for whatever reason, failing to deal with minor crime and this point needs to brought to the attention of the public.

I can imagine how the criminal fraternity would react if they knew they could get away with stealing anything that isn't nailed down, maybe they already do know and Newhaven is such a hotbed of minor crime that the Police are unable to cope.

D

Deleted member 4366

Isn't there a Police Commissioner now who's in charge of this sort of thing?
Her name is Katy Elizabeth Bourne.

Here's a slogan:

"Help me put the Community back into policing and make us all Safer in Sussex"

Here's her priorities:
  • Cutting crime & catching more criminals – ensuring we are all ‘Safer In Sussex’
  • Visible & effective neighbourhood policing – putting a ‘Special Constable’ in every rural village to re-connect the public with their ‘local Bobby’
  • Putting the victim back at the heart of the Criminal Justice System
  • Tackling anti-social behaviour and domestic violence
  • Delivering value for money from our police force
If you have time, write to her and ask how each one of those points relates to your case. After giving her the main points of your situation in three simple sentences.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajb9

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2012
newhaven east sussex
Isn't there a Police Commissioner now who's in charge of this sort of thing?
Her name is Katy Elizabeth Bourne.

Here's a slogan:

"Help me put the Community back into policing and make us all Safer in Sussex"

Here's her priorities:
  • Cutting crime & catching more criminals – ensuring we are all ‘Safer In Sussex’
  • Visible & effective neighbourhood policing – putting a ‘Special Constable’ in every rural village to re-connect the public with their ‘local Bobby’
  • Putting the victim back at the heart of the Criminal Justice System
  • Tackling anti-social behaviour and domestic violence
  • Delivering value for money from our police force
If you have time, write to her and ask how each one of those points relates to your case. After giving her the main points of your situation in three simple sentences.
that women is just an over payed super plastic police person

Reactions: EddiePJ

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I occasionally work with the police and from what I see, the main problem is that they are poorly managed, particularly in the area of staff deployment. In general, I have found that front line officers are willing and keen but their numbers are too few. As a consequence they are overwhelmed with demand from the public and situations like SRS's happen too frequently. When the amount of crime requiring investigation exceeds the staff available to carry out the enquiries something has to give, and it's the lower level crime which drops off the to do list first. Government cuts haven't helped, but the way in which the cuts have been implemented by police management makes the situation worse than it should be.

However, there is some excellent news for those who have issues with the "useless police" and know how things can be done better. The Volunteer Police Service (Special Constabulary for us older ones) are recruiting now! By joining up you will be able to take some of the burden away from the regular officers and contribute in investigations. You will be able to advise the police where they are going wrong and actually demonstrate how things should be done in a real time working environment. I think that this approach would be much more rewarding than submitting a poorly written nasty letter. I hope that the critics take on this opportunity because they are usually the ones at the back of the queue when it comes to actually doing something, preferring instead to criticise from the relative anonymity of a keyboard. This is an opportunity for a refreshing change!

Reactions: oldtom

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
You will be able to advise the police where they are going wrong and actually demonstrate how things should be done in a real time working environment.

Do you really think that anyone is going to listen to a new hobbybobby as I think they used to be called, when he starts telling them where they're going wrong? Police forces have a way of dealing with officers who stick their necks out too far. They hit them over the head with a big hammer.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Do you really think that anyone is going to listen to a new hobbybobby as I think they used to be called, when he starts telling them where they're going wrong? Police forces have a way of dealing with officers who stick their necks out too far. They hit them over the head with a big hammer.
If the volunteer was any good they would gradually build up credibility and that would give them more of a voice with their ideas and suggestions. Clearly a new recruit is initially going to be an unknown quantity and what you say may well be true. It takes time and patience.

At the very least, the extra help is going to free up time to dedicate to the low level crime and that has to be a good thing.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I occasionally work with the police and from what I see, the main problem is that they are poorly managed, particularly in the area of staff deployment. In general, I have found that front line officers are willing and keen but their numbers are too few. As a consequence they are overwhelmed with demand from the public and situations like SRS's happen too frequently. When the amount of crime requiring investigation exceeds the staff available to carry out the enquiries something has to give, and it's the lower level crime which drops off the to do list first. Government cuts haven't helped, but the way in which the cuts have been implemented by police management makes the situation worse than it should be.

However, there is some excellent news for those who have issues with the "useless police" and know how things can be done better. The Volunteer Police Service (Special Constabulary for us older ones) are recruiting now! By joining up you will be able to take some of the burden away from the regular officers and contribute in investigations. You will be able to advise the police where they are going wrong and actually demonstrate how things should be done in a real time working environment. I think that this approach would be much more rewarding than submitting a poorly written nasty letter. I hope that the critics take on this opportunity because they are usually the ones at the back of the queue when it comes to actually doing something, preferring instead to criticise from the relative anonymity of a keyboard. This is an opportunity for a refreshing change!

Thankfully my backside was covered for that one.:D

I'm not one for slating the police, and I'd certainly not want to do their job, and we will always need them more than they need us.
Thankfully my very limited experiences/encounters with the police have always been fair, even when perhaps they shouldn't have been.

Reactions: tillson

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I once had a motorcycle stolen and 3 weeks later a friend spotted it in a lads yard while on his window cleaning round.
I went and told the police but 2 days later nothing had happened so I went round to see our local hells angels about it.
30 minutes later it was parked back outside my house and the guy spent the next 3 months in a plaster cast.
The police never did show up!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I once had a motorcycle stolen and 3 weeks later a friend spotted it in a lads yard while on his window cleaning round.
I went and told the police but 2 days later nothing had happened so I went round to see our local hells angels about it.
30 minutes later it was parked back outside my house and the guy spent the next 3 months in a plaster cast.
The police never did show up!
Not as daft as it sounds in rural County Durham.

I once saw some of the paperwork for a pitched battle outside a pub in Stanley.

A couple of the witnesses said in their statements to police something along the lines of: "Yes I was fighting, but what's it got to do with you?"

Of course 'sorting it among ourselves' is a one-way ticket to anarchy.

Reactions: Kinninvie

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Tillson, the police are clearly overstretched but do you think my case required a lengthy investigation?

The bike was stolen on day one. On day two, the same bike was reported to the police as found.

You don't need to be a detective to work this one out.

This is the seventh time we have been the victim of crime in the last seven years.
Nobody has ever been caught for the thefts or damage and not one stolen item has ever been returned.

High work loads or not, some sort of minimum standards must be maintained.

A letter, badly written or otherwise is order.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
At last, my insurance company has accepted my offer to buy my KTM back. Subject to my condition of it being undamaged when I pick it up from the finder. Good news I thought!

I called the so called finder today to arrange collection from his work premises.

He won't allow me access to take it as he is now demanding compensation and storage charges from my insurance company.

Nothing mentioned by the insurance company to me.

He requires compensation for his efforts in fixing a puncture and months of storage. Un-fking believable.

Whilst I am not a church goer, surely he had better watch his step from now on.

Is there anyone out there who knows the law on stolen and found goods?

Bike aside he still has my uninsured belongings attached to the bike and I cannot even get them back.

The police are no longer interested; this leaves me with the insurance company and a bloke who would sell his own mother.

Any thoughts welcome.