Hello, Anyone know about Oxygen Ebikes

RobinRamone

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2011
Hi all,
A newbie here, but I have been looking at this site for while. I am about to take the plunge for an ebike. I really like the look and spec of the Oxygen E mate City. It fits all my needs.

Oxygen Emate City - city and commuting electric bike

I made some calls around some local shops in Edinburgh, they really tried to put me off saying Oxygen are Chinese imports. Anyone know different?

I have leaning go with my hunch, some of the reviews of the Oxygen bikes are really good, but there's not that many.

I am time limited as my work does the cycle scheme but only in May. They do it twice a year).

Thanks all,

Robin, Edinburgh.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Robin.

The majority of e-bikes are actually made in China and brought in by importers, the Oxygen being no different in this respect. In this case they are the product of a dedicated UK company, sold by them and also by other well established e-bike companies such as 50cycles.

We have some members owning them so hopefully your query will be answered by them, but I'd consider them as reliable a purchase as any other of the hub motor bikes of this type. In this price range all on the market are built with cycle and electrical components from the same well known sources, leaving it mainly down to the battery reliability and support since they are expensive items. Oxygen's battery warranty at two years is as good as it gets in this field and far better than many.

This link is to a thread where someone else has just chosen an Oxygen, so it might be of interest to you.

Last edited:

RobinRamone

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2011
Welcome to the forum Robin.

The majority of e-bikes are actually made in China and brought in by importers, the Oxygen being no different in this respect. In this case they are the product of a dedicated UK company, sold by them and also by other well established e-bike companies such as 50cycles.

We have some members owning them so hopefully your query will be answered by them, but I'd consider them as reliable a purchase as any other of the hub motor bikes of this type. In this price range all on the market are built with cycle and electrical components from the same well known sources, leaving it mainly down to the battery reliability and support since they are expensive items. Oxygen's battery warranty at two years is as good as it gets in this field and far better than many.

This link is to a thread where someone else has just chosen an Oxygen, so it might be of interest to you.
Many thanks.

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
I just took delivery of my Oxygen Emate City this morning from 50Cycles.

I previously had an eZee Cadence, which is most definitely an all-Chinese design and build, so is a good comparison, I suppose.

The Oxygen is very nicely built - all of the cabling is well routed, and the fit and finish appears superior to me than the eZee. It feels much lighter too, and is definitely easier to handle. The frame is completely different to other bikes I have used before, with a box cross-section rather than tubes. 50Cycles supplied it all set up, with pumped tyres and a charged battery. I just needed to straighten and raise the handlebars, and screw in the pedals, and I was away.

In use, the Oxygen has a clear and unambiguous power display, with buttons to change the assistance level. Assistance from the rearmount motor kicks in when you pedal, with no need for the throttle. There is also a handlebar control that disables the pedelec mode and switches it to throttle only electric drive. As a rear-motored bike, it doesn't have the hub gears the eZee had, but a derailleur set. I don't know if I'll miss them - they were good in that you could set the gear when stationary. With a front disc brake the brakes seem better than the Cadence (though the reduced weight probably helps too).

In summary, I am really pleased with it - seems to me to be a more advanced machine than my old eZee (though that might be new buyer satisfaction talking at this point!).