hello from the Isle Of Wight...

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
I joined in the hope of getting help finding my bicycle.

After years of non-use I gave away my mountain bike and have been bicycle-free for many more. Too much like hard work for an overweight and unfit person. And as for electric bikes, well, I had a go on my sisters', which was fun. But they're all too small and flimsy for a 6'4" bloke.

That was a loong time ago............................until...

recently, two bicycles caught my eye: first I saw a handsome "Pashley Sovereign" and the following day a "Haibike Trekking", both tall bikes with 28" wheels. And I thought, they could fit me, and then, what if one could get the looks of the former but with assistance of the latter?

I'm glad we now have the internet to make informed decisions. Only, the more I look the more unsure I am as to what I want... hmm!

Surfing for an electric Pashley Sovereign (is that even do-able?), I came across the name "Velorbis". Another old-looking two-wheeled eyecandy. On their website they call it "elechic" when a bicycle is electrically power assisted.

Great, now a quick search on pedelecs to see what they think... nope, nothing - really?!!

Does nobody have any experience, nor know where I might find reviews?

Well, to sum up: I'm not a biker, yet, but interested. Oh, and a bit fussy too.

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Hello James,
thanks for the offer. I have sent you a private message.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The German Kalkhoff brand is strongly represented here in the UK by 50cycles and their Agattu XXL model is designed for the large and/or heavy. You can have crossbar or stepthrough models with a 57 cm frame option and all with 28" wheels:

Kalkhoff Agattu XXL

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Hello flecc,
yes, your suggestion ticks many of my boxes. Thanks.

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Window-shopping in the pedelec world (web-surfing), I'm beginning to get the impression that I'm heading for maximum overdraft.
Well, I'm actually at the stage of "how hard can it be to fit a hub motor kit myself?" (despite protests of all of my left thumbs).

Seriously, I wonder if anyone has knowledge of a kit fit for a 28" wheel? I am right that the gearing must be different here?

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
My search is over.
I'm going for an Azor Ameland Black Lightning with Heinzmann kit (traditional looking dutch bike, heavy but strong in black [of course] but with 28" cream balloon tyres). If all goes well, Cambridge Dutchbikes will get the bicycle over from Holland and The Electric Transport Shop will fit the kit.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glad it's sorted now hihihi, that's a good quality choice of bike and kit, you won't be disappointed with the performance.

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Changed my mind and now have a 'Duke' from Kudos Cycles. The procedure for ordering it via their website was not nice, but it arrived the very next day, which is! I'm impressed.
Put it all together and I think it looks as great as in the pictures.
Been out on it once. Surprised how feeble the legal maximum power is, which is a reflection of how fat and heavy I am. Was fun though and my quick run down to the seafront turned into a 11 miles round trip.
Sadly, the saddle hurt, so I'm now keenly awaiting my next amazon delivery...

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Hi, to hihihi and congrats on your purchase.

As a fellow convertee to electric bikes starting from an overweight perspective, I can tell you no matter how comfy your saddle it will hurt a lot the first few weeks. However, the initial pain will go away but a comfier saddle will help in the long run. If you are unfit its best to build up the length of your journeys slowly, else everything will start to creak and hurt. Maybe that's my middle age though.

Managed to lose around a stone using the electric bike semi-regularly over the summer, if that's any inspiration to you.

Good luck and come on over to the main part of the forum and chat to us about it. You get more responses there.

Good luck

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Why, thank you PennyFarthing, for your encouraging words.

I must be a bit of a wimp, because I mean to bypass the "hurt a lot the first few weeks". You see, I'm sure the standard Duke seat is ok for the Normal. However, I am 'blessed' with a big bum.

Recently arrived, the new saddle is now fitted, and today I cycled on it for a short distance (probably a longer ride tomorrow...).

So far, so plush!

Also, I really like the look of this beauty, the Brooks B190.

By the way, I think you deserve a big "WELL DONE!" for the weight loss. Should I succumb to a similar fate, then I shall be very pleased indeed.

Finally, what do you mean by "come on over to the main part of the forum"?

ribcageprotector.com

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 19, 2011
I went for the ergonomic twin seat with added gel cushions. The Hobson one. It's a bit odd looking, and a similar effect can be gained by a big sprung gel seat with the nose angled down. I here what your saying about the need for solid build. I hope you enjoy your bike!

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Hello ribcageprotector.com,

yes I am still having fun with my bike, thanks.

I agree about your Hobson's unusual shape. This split design must be easy on your frame movement. Certainly, my sprung saddle rocks sideways when pedalling. Do your thighs chafe at all on the rather wide nose, or is most of your weight carried on the rear part of the saddle, as with an upright stance?

One more question: I wonder, what is your part in your username's company?

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Sorry I failed to reply again HiHiHi but I think you've found the main part of the forum now.

I've been a wimp and not ridden my bike since the weather turned. So now the stone has been creeping back on over several months.

I need to invest in some wet and cold weather cycling gear for the chunkies amongst us. Not sure where to look atm but will do a search.

Meantime, are you still cycling and are you getting any fitter?

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Hello PennyFarthing,

yes, I also am awaiting nicer weather.
And then there were a few weeks while the rear wheel was being strengthened (rebuilt). Still feeling apprehensive about breaking spokes though which is off-putting

It appears that for you pedelec-cycling alone really does effect weight-loss. You've added to my motivation to get pedalling again (though I fear my appetite will always win...).

As for clothing, I wear the same as for walking.