Hello - newbie looking for opinions!

Skeeter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2020
So the battery is connected to the controller...any way you can or want to, perhaps with bullet connectors?

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020
Anyway for the moment I think I have all I need...special thanks to VFR whose help I appreciate.

One last thing though...I notice that the 350W rear wheel drives are quite popular (and only a tad more expensive) despite their illegality...is the performance over the 250W item that good? Also, I suspect the difference in range (my favourite subject) between the two on the same battery isn't much. Correct or not?

Thanks again.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 250/350w is the same hub with a different marking , try and sell anything marked 250w in the US and a sellers options are very limited.

Reactions: Skeeter

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's right, a lot of sellers claim 350w because they're selling into USA. many of those motors are the same as fitted to UK bikes marked 250w. Unfortunately, a motor marked 350w is not legal. Some have easy-peal labels, which helps, but if the motor''s engraved, there's not much you can do. Some motors have no markings. If you're unsure about any listing/marking, you can ask the supplier about how it's marked.

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020
TBH, being a wuss I'd go for the 250W item. Mind you if it was a case of just a sticker...I once had a race exhaust engraved with a fake CE kitemark...never got pulled though so never found out if that worked.

The non-detachable screen bothers me. Left unattended that would generate unwanted attention. The answer would be a throttle. Poxy government.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The non-detachable screen bothers me. Left unattended that would generate unwanted attention. The answer would be a throttle. Poxy government.
A throttle is useful on an ebike, but not as the primary means of power or speed control. Pedal assist is much better.

If you get a kit with a KT controller, you can get the LCD4, which is tiny and not really nickable.

Reactions: gsm.terra

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020
Mmm...interesting but disagree. Some scrotes would steal or attempt to steal anything, whether or not it was any use to them or even if they knew what it was or not.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No pleasing some folk.
I have lcd1, 2 , 3 & 4 none have been tampered with, if you don't have an lcd you don't get the nice power levels for control. With thumb throttle the power is either on or off and twist throttle is a kin to being a moped and not a pedelecs.

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020
No pleasing some folk.
I have lcd1, 2 , 3 & 4 none have been tampered with, if you don't have an lcd you don't get the nice power levels for control. With thumb throttle the power is either on or off and twist throttle is a kin to being a moped and not a pedelecs.
Just a bit leery about leaving it outside the supermarket. TBH, I had imagined a progressive delivery of power derived entirely from pedal input.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT is Keunteng an electronics brand a very good China producer.

I leave my main bike at the superstore and in town when shopping, like anything if one knows the local area they should be aware where it is safe for 20/30 mins to pop in to do some shopping.
With bikes it's often a routine thing , if it is noticed by scum they may note any regularities in routine then choose a time to do their thing , a total scum bag will be tooled up and won't need an invitation.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The problem with displays if removable is the contacts then become an issue and as we see with some of the mid motor brands cause connection issues.

The more blingy a bike looks the more attention it receives.
Convert a nice bike in good mech condition but don't pay much attention to detail and cleaning , something that might look naff and unloved is one way of drawing less attraction.

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020
The problem with displays if removable is the contacts then become an issue and as we see with some of the mid motor brands cause connection issues.

Convert a nice bike in good mech condition but don't pay much attention to detail and cleaning , something that might look naff and unloved is one way of drawing less attraction.
Yep that's why I'm messing with on oldie! Trouble is its looking better by the day...

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
A throttle is useful on an ebike, but not as the primary means of power or speed control. Pedal assist is much better.

If you get a kit with a KT controller, you can get the LCD4, which is tiny and not really nickable.
Put a bike cover on your bike when locking it, I’ve seen a few folk doing that around the university here!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've been leaving my bikes outside supermarkets, pubs, doctors, dentists, hospital, meetings, etc for ten years. I've never had anything interfered with yet. I always park in the open, where it can be seen from as many directions as possible. At the supermarket, instead of the bike racks around the corner, I lock it to a tree next to the main path. At the pub, I lock it somewhere where i can see it out the window.

I don't go to the gym nor the cinema, but leaving one outside there would be asking for trouble. Likewise parking in the same position every day while at work will get it nicked very quickly. You just have to use a bit of common sense and a lock that can defeat bolt-croppers.

One time at the dentist, I locked my bike to a post outside next to a low wall. When I came out, there was a guy that looked like a drug addict sitting on the wall next to it looking like he was studying how it was locked. He had left his really rough cheapo MTB unlocked leaning against the wall. I think he was just an opportunist thief who had seen it and was hoping for an easy steal, but there was no way past my lock.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For the shop a rack and panniers straight away makes it an uninspiring bike for low life/scum, as does not cleaning any grime off it. Use two locks to each through the wheel and frame, the look of an unloved bike may attract less attention then others.

Reactions: gsm.terra

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
I bought a vibration alarm from Amazon, gives a wee warning if the bike is interfered with before letting out a very loud siren!

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020

This is entirely my strategy but I've developed a desire to have the frame powder-coated. Damn. Gloss black though, nothing too flash.