Hello - newbie looking for opinions!

Skeeter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2020
I've been leaving my bikes outside supermarkets, pubs, doctors, dentists, hospital, meetings, etc for ten years. I've never had anything interfered with yet. I always park in the open, where it can be seen from as many directions as possible. At the supermarket, instead of the bike racks around the corner, I lock it to a tree next to the main path. At the pub, I lock it somewhere where i can see it out the window.

I don't go to the gym nor the cinema, but leaving one outside there would be asking for trouble. Likewise parking in the same position every day while at work will get it nicked very quickly. You just have to use a bit of common sense and a lock that can defeat bolt-croppers.

One time at the dentist, I locked my bike to a post outside next to a low wall. When I came out, there was a guy that looked like a drug addict sitting on the wall next to it looking like he was studying how it was locked. He had left his really rough cheapo MTB unlocked leaning against the wall. I think he was just an opportunist thief who had seen it and was hoping for an easy steal, but there was no way past my lock.
Honestly, which lock is that? And nothing defeats the angle grinder. There's a you tube vid of a guy repeatedly stealing his own bike in broad daylight in very public places. And no-one gives a flying f.

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020
For the shop a rack and panniers straight away makes it an uninspiring bike for low life/scum, as does not cleaning any grime off it. Use two locks to each through the wheel and frame, the look of an unloved bike may attract less attention then others.
Funny you should say that, just received the pannier rack! And yes, two locks. So between defeating the opportunist and being ignored by the career thief, maybe I'll survive. But I know from experience it doesn't stop some tosser stealing things from it. Or trying to. I spent ages looking for some lights which have a bracket that clamps to the frame! It seems things like that are out of fashion. Pifco anyone?

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020
Anyway once more I feel I've learnt a lot about the scene, And once again thanks to all for the patient answers to dumb questions.

Reactions: gsm.terra

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For fixed lights use the 6v - 60v models that fix via the front fork mudguard hole, the lights have a built in buck converter and they run off the bikes battery. For the rear use the wired type with bracket that fixes to the pannier rack again they work off the bikes battery. Wire both in parallel with a KT controller with a separate light out put and a handle bar switch. The front one I have is 100lux STVZO rating.

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020
For fixed lights use the 6v - 60v models that fix via the front fork mudguard hole, the lights have a built in buck converter and they run off the bikes battery. For the rear use the wired type with bracket that fixes to the pannier rack again they work off the bikes battery. Wire both in parallel with a KT controller with a separate light out put and a handle bar switch. The front one I have is 100lux STVZO rating.
Wow that is so 21st century! It makes perfect sense if you are lugging a lithium battery around with you. Again though I don't like the idea of leaving it unattended with gadgets attached. I once saw a German design where the lights were built into the frame tubes - I thought that was very good indeed.

I bought one of those cheapo solar rear lights for a fiver. :D Quite pleased with it (so far runtime @ 8 hrs and still going) although I hear it isn't waterproof - I see a session with some silicon looming. Considering a front light if I see a design I like the look of, but in the meantime bought some LED AAA-powered items for a tenner! (Mr cheapskate here).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lights are permanently bolted on, I doubt any one will have time to undo them.
It appears you must live in the most crime related area of the UK if you are that pessimistic.

Skeeter

Sep 6, 2020
To be fair, its not great. But this is a problem I have come up against when living in the bastions of Middle England too. People are c*@#s. Well, some of them anyway.